2011 19' Owner finally getting into the Escape Forum - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #1

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19'
2011 19' Owner finally getting into the Escape Forum

Hello All,

I am the owner of a 2011 19' Escape. I bought it new last year; it was one of the first units to come out of the new Escape facility. While I have browsed the Forum looking for answers to problems, I never got around to taking the site registration plunge until now.

My trailer is used for summer camping trips to National Parks in the Western USA. Coming from the east coast means lots of driving to get there. The cost of gas was the reason why I switched from a 23' Class C to an Escape 19.

I've been pretty happy with the trailer so far. It has been a tighter fit than the Class C but the kids are grown now.

I had hoped to get better gas mileage while towing. I'm getting 13.5 mpg towing with a Honda Pilot. I got 12.5 mpg last year with a Nissan Xterra. Both are better than the 8-10 mpg that I got in the Class C. I'd like to hear from other 19' owners whether this is typical.

I plan to investigate adding solar to the trailer. Cells keep dropping in price, but I haven't run my batteries down yet. Any advice on alternative solar units (other than the factory package) would be appreciated.

Happy Traveling!
Arathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Your mileage is very similar to what I get when I tow my 19 with my '06 Tacoma. It's about a 1/3 drop from my 19+ mpg driving unladen. Others have said that's a typical experience towing with a V6.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Welcome to the forum.

I too tow with a Pilot too . On our last trip trip with lots of hill driving over 5,000 km, we got an average of 21 l/100km, or 11.2 US mpg, or 13.5 Imp mpg.
When not towing we tend to get around 14 l/100km, or 16.8 US mpg, or 20.2 Imp mpg.

Not all that great, but we enjoy its driving and carrying capacities. You also get a nice run around vehicle as compared to either towing one, or going without, when using a motorhome.

I too have thought about adding solar, but even with up to 5 days boondocking many times, I have not near run out of battery yet, so really haven't pursued it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Our mileage while towing is very similar to Jims @ around the 20L/100km but when not towing our Yukon is only @ 14-16 L/ 100km .
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #5

Well, it seems that I'm doing a bit better on fuel efficiency than I should expect.

Jim, I have a question since you also tow with a Pilot...
Do you use a Weight Distributing Hitch?

I have used the one that I bought with my 19' when I was towing with the Nissan (it was a truck frame).

When I got the Pilot it was not clear if the WDH was to be used or not.

It seems to offer some sway control but not much load leveling.

Please let me know you thoughts on the matter.

Thanks,

Glenn

2012 Honda Pilot
2011 Escape 19'
2006 Irish Terrier
Old 11-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Glenn, I don't use a WDH. I find I don't really need one. The only time I do think so is when I leave our rec property and have to climb a steep hill on a gravel access road. The front wheels have slipped a bit. There are times when the added sway stability might have been nice too. But, I choose to opt for the simpler setup. All Pilots 2009 or newer have a firm rear end (unlike many of use aging Escapees )
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #7

That fits with what I have experienced. Twice on my trips I think the sway control might have saved me from an accident (when I had to suddenly avoid chunks of truck tire rubber on an interstate in heavy traffic).

I think for future trips I will uninstall the WDH and look into other sway control options.

Thanks,

Glenn
Old 11-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Welcome, Glenn!
If you want to see what the WDH is doing for you, just go to a truck scale loaded up. You will be able to see exactly how many pounds the WDH is transferring to the front of the TV and how many back to the trailer. Ours transfers about 300 lbs. The WDH has to be set up right though by the instructions. You need to do measuring at the wheel wells as I recall to see that you have the correct number of chain links. I am not sure why you want to do without it. It is definitely a big safety feature that, as you say, may have helped you out a time or two. That said, I have no idea what Honda says about using a WDH on that vehicle and whether it is supposed to take one at all.

On the mileage, I am very surprised that you are getting that little but that may be due to the terrain where you go and also, of course, has much to do with your total load. Have you weighed that? You can't really go by anyone else's mpg because of those two factors and others.

I always assumed that a Pilot would get similar to our 4Runner but we are getting much higher. I have to say though that I haven't looked at the mileage a lot and will have to pay more attention. I would say that we get about 17 but certainly have had lower. We did even have a couple of legs recently that were 19. We, however, probably drive much more slowly than you and again, that is yet another factor that can make a big difference.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote