30 amp in a 50 amp site - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #41

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
And no major retailer like Walmart or Camping World would sell them. Not would any trailer manufacturer supply the as accessories.
Nor would any (well most) Campground permit you to use one.
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:26 PM   #42

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriJ View Post
Nor would any (well most) Campground permit you to use one.
Just curious, how many times have you been told you can't use one. That is something I have never encountered in any campground.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #43

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
This entire "question" can be resolved in one word: lawyers. Seriously, does anybody out there believe that if 50 to 30 amp adapters or 20 to 30 amp adapters violated the electrical code the product liability lawyers wouldn't be climbing all over it? And no major retailer like Walmart or Camping World would sell them. Not would any trailer manufacturer supply the as accessories.
You might think so, and had that same sort of thought years ago, but then I checked into propane adapters...
Mr. Heater and others sell adapters which allow you to connect a one-pound disposable cylinder to a typical 20-pound "barbecue" tank to refill it. This involves refilling a disposable container (unwise), filling a container with no monitoring of the fill level (very bad, surely in violation of codes including U.S. federal fire protection codes), and inverting a propane tank in use (universally forbidden)... but the adapters are widely sold by major retailers (e.g. Camping World). I asked Mr. Heater about this, and the response was essentially "no one has sued us so it must be fine".
Apparently, it is not a problem to sell devices whose use is inherently unsafe. I wouldn't count on the existence of a device in the market as reliable evidence of its safety.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:57 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hummm, you go to plug into the power pole and the cord will fit or it won't. If it doesn't... get out the adaptable and put that between the trailer cord and the connection. Power? yes.. score! Not... reset the power box. That doesn't work? Contact the host...

Seems simple to me. What do I know? Has always worked for me. YMMV
If you're only using a single adapter, that seems generally reasonable to me.

People using a combination of extensions and adapters can easily (and perhaps unknowingly) brew a mix with some part dangerously unprotected (such as adapting a 30-amp Escape to a 15-amp extension cord, adapted to a 20-amp, 30-amp, or 50-amp service receptacle - in that case, the extension cord is the dangerous weak link.

I try to understand the concerns, so that I can evaluate my specific configuration. If I were to just say "if I can plug it in it must be okay" - without any understanding - I would risk creating a hazard.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Why overcomplicate it?
I agree - overcomplicating is bad. Oversimplifying is at least as bad.

As "they" say:
Everything should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:04 PM   #46

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If you're only using a single adapter, that seems generally reasonable to me.

People using a combination of extensions and adapters can easily (and perhaps unknowingly) brew a mix with some part dangerously unprotected (such as adapting a 30-amp Escape to a 15-amp extension cord, adapted to a 20-amp, 30-amp, or 50-amp service receptacle - in that case, the extension cord is the dangerous weak link.

I try to understand the concerns, so that I can evaluate my specific configuration. If I were to just say "if I can plug it in it must be okay" - without any understanding - I would risk creating a hazard.
With all the varying opinions on this question, some of which MAY be based on a limited understanding of electrical circuits and the way they operate, I would allude to a previous post in which I said if plugging into a 50 amp circuit makes you uncomfortable, don't do it. Much interesting discussion here with a lot of hypothetical what ifs, but the bottom line is if you know what you are doing and you know it is safe, then do it if you so desire. I believe the original question regarded what to do if a site only has a 50 amp outlet. Robert (post 2) answered the question correctly. Can't draw more than 30 amps because it would trip the main breaker in the 30 amp unit. Don't know how this morphed into refilling disposable propane cylinders (I personally wouldn't do that) or how a conglomeration of cords and various adapters was introduced. And I think Donna's comment was misinterpreted. I believe she knows what she is doing. It is safe to use a 50 to 30 amp adapter on the male end of your shore power cord. But if you have a different opinion, then as has been said, keep things simple and don't do it. Anyway, I'm through beating a dead horse. If anybody wants an additional response from me on this topic, PM me.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #47

Quote:
Just curious, how many times have you been told you can't use one. That is something I have never encountered in any campground.
That's my point, places are selling them, trailer manufactures are including adapters with their trailers and no campgrounds are telling us not to use them. (forgive the double negative).
Old 10-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #48

Quote:
Don't know how this morphed into refilling disposable propane cylinders (I personally wouldn't do that) or how a conglomeration of cords and various adapters was introduced.
I think morphing subjects is one of the things forums excel at. [end quote].

All you need is a morph adapter.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #49

Hey, somebody edited my post. I didn't think you could do that - Fess up.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #50

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
That was me, by accident. Not only did I manage to delete it but I lost the thread it was in, so I posted my apology in the wrong thread.
Sorry. Could not find a way to UNDO.

So, I now see that I didn't delete it. It's still there, with my added comment which was supposed to be a reply to your post. As a moderator, I can edit, but that wasn't my intent. Just not paying attention.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #51

Quote:
.. the bottom line is if you know what you are doing and you know it is safe, then do it if you so desire.
I agree. The first part of that is "know what you're doing"; the original poster did not have that knowledge, and asked... which is a good thing!
Old 10-24-2014, 04:46 PM   #52

Quote:
And I think Donna's comment was misinterpreted. I believe she knows what she is doing.
I can only guess that this is directed at me. I did not in any way question that Donna knows what she is doing. In contrast, the original poster did not know what to do in the situation in question, and some of the discussion suggests that some others do not, either.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:17 PM   #53

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
What's that expression Jon? Great minds....

Ron
Hi Ron,
I am being lazy by chance do you have a part number for the trailer end plug of your power adaptor?
Mark

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:14 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by markvt View Post
I am being lazy by chance do you have a part number for the trailer end plug of your power adaptor?
From another discussion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
You can replace the connector on the trailer's end of the removable cord (that's an L50-30 cord connector), such as Marinco Part # 305CRCN.VPK.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:46 PM   #55

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
That was me, by accident. Not only did I manage to delete it but I lost the thread it was in, so I posted my apology in the wrong thread.
Sorry. Could not find a way to UNDO.

So, I now see that I didn't delete it. It's still there, with my added comment which was supposed to be a reply to your post. As a moderator, I can edit, but that wasn't my intent. Just not paying attention.
Trust me, I understand. The 'Edit' button is on the left, where the 'Quote' button is for everyone else. I have accidentally clicked on the 'Edit' button more than a few times as a moderator on the FGRV site.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:00 PM   #56

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by markvt View Post
Hi Ron,
Mark
Yup, it's from Camping World. While some may call their products crap it appears to be of good quality and we've just had a week of torrential rain and the plug stayed dry. I've used the Marinco brand for years but this one is branded Furrion. It's at least equal to the Marinco.

Part# for the female connector is 69572 and the cover is 69574

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:34 PM   #57

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yup, it's from Camping World. While some may call their products crap it appears to be of good quality and we've just had a week of torrential rain and the plug stayed dry. I've used the Marinco brand for years but this one is branded Furrion. It's at least equal to the Marinco.

Part# for the female connector is 69572 and the cover is 69574

Ron
Thanks Ron I just placed the order .
Mark

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote