4 legged critters - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2018, 11:41 AM   #1

Trailer: 2012 5.0
4 legged critters

I find threads that discuss how to get rid of mice but very little on how they get into the campers. I have 2012 5.0 classic, detachable electric cord so that is not an option for them. All the vents have wire mess glued to allow airflow but keep the critters out. The camper was stored in a barn so I'm sure that mice live in the barn. I have stored in the same barn for the last 4 winters without issue.

They found their way into the storage compartment under the fridge and under the sink on the other side of the camper. All cabinet doors were closed for storage. No sign under the bench seats or anywhere else. Spray foam under the camper so really no access points there. The exterior shower was my guess how they got in but that door was closed and locked. They did not cause any damage that I have found.

Anyone have any ideas for access points?
ivanputski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:48 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Good Morning Ivanputski,
I have a lot of mice around me too, some years, other years not so much. I have no idea why they want so badly to be my room mate. They can fit through holes as small as 1/4" diameter ….

How tight does your door fit?

Tom
Old 06-29-2018, 12:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The other day my wife decided to go to town , when she started her car the dash lit up like a Christmas Tree , about 6 different warning lights were on .
Took the car to the local garage and $56 later it was fixed . Mice had chewed off the wires going to the rear wheel speed sensors
My neighbor had a family of chipmunks in his attic and they chewed on everything including the wiring . They ended up pulling part of the ceiling down to repair the damage and plug all the holes .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Mice

Mice are persistent and cover virtually every inch of an environment scurrying around. We are very meticulous in mouse proofing and have had good luck so far. We use a liberal quantity of mothballs around the trailer but not in the trailer. I have some unbaited glue boards out along the walls and around the doors of our shed. No food left in the trailer over the winter. I have a commercial foam applicator and a low expansion foam product that I used to seal the plate on our building after I stuffed the openings that would allow light to pass with copper mesh. I deal with Wildlife control supplies for my animal control needs. I’ve seen mice run into the garage when the door was open, especially in the fall. If you decide to trap the exterior with snap traps, put a string on them and stake them or cats will haul your catch away along with your trap.
Iowa” Mitey Mouse has an enemy” Dave
Old 06-29-2018, 02:28 PM   #5

The exterior door of the camper has a slight opening at the bottom corner. If they did enter that way, I can't see how they can get inside the cabinets with those doors closed. Heading back out tonight to look again, after it cools down some.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:02 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think the roof and side refer vent are possible entrances....
Old 06-29-2018, 07:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
My 6 four legged rat patrol darlings make sure we don’t have any of the unwelcomed critters around our place
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Painters tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I forgot
To mention that we use the 3M blue painters tape
To cover the openings that have vents on them . Since the building is cool all winter the tape does not leave much of a residue when peeled off in the spring. Though I’ve never seen any gnawing on the tape, it easy to check when I check the trailer. We live adjacent to corn, soybean and CRP fields where there are literally thousands of animals from shrews to Coyotes. We are especially vigilant at harvest and the first good cold snap. That’s when critters really move.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-29-2018, 08:39 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I don't know about the other models, but my 21 has a screen in the fridge top vent. Pic is from when I pulled the fridge and is looking up from inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Fridge top vent.jpg  
Old 06-30-2018, 06:34 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 19'
Camping at Valley of Fire on our way home from picking up the Escape we could here chewing at night. We had canned goods in the cupboard under the refrigerator and some critter was gnawing on the peanut butter jar label. They we coming in the frig vent on the side. First mod we did when we got home was put wire mesh on all outside vents!
And Iowa Dave, I have a favor to ask, please don't use glue boards. I volunteer for a wild bird rehab center and it's horrid when we get birds in stuck to those things (they also get trapped in fly paper). If they survive it takes hours to detach them with veg oil and then baths to get the oil out and then very long recovery time to heal skin and regrow feathers.
I use snap traps under overturned buckets set on bricks so there is enough gap for mice to get in but it keeps my pets and birds from getting caught.
TallyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:37 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I don't know about the other models, but my 21 has a screen in the fridge top vent. Pic is from when I pulled the fridge and is looking up from inside.
I know ETI has changed this area several times, but thinking a 2012 model may still have openings.....
Old 06-30-2018, 10:54 AM   #12

The top fridge vent has the mesh wire. The other idea I had was the battery vent but if they went in that way they would be contained to the battery box. Ok, this is a dumb question but could a mouse really go up the side of a camper to the roof?
Old 06-30-2018, 11:33 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanputski View Post
The top fridge vent has the mesh wire. The other idea I had was the battery vent but if they went in that way they would be contained to the battery box. Ok, this is a dumb question but could a mouse really go up the side of a camper to the roof?

They can climb glass too.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:49 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA Sold
We put Bounce dryer sheets all over the inside of the trailer because the mice don’t like the smell (some people don’t either but that’s another story).

We also put steel wool around the tires and jacks when the trailer is in storage. Mice don’t like to get poked in the nose by the fibres and stay away. So far this combination has worked when we store our excess toys including a boat and a car for the winter, as well as our trailer.

Sometimes not having any idea where we're going works out better than we could possibly have imagined. Ann Patchett
runnergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:14 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Down here--

- the bugs come in

- the mice come in

- the lizards come in for the bugs

- the tree frogs come in for the bugs

- then the snakes come in, to feast on the above

And that's just my house.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:34 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 5.0TA
Send a message via AIM to Monica Rose
Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The other day my wife decided to go to town , when she started her car the dash lit up like a Christmas Tree , about 6 different warning lights were on .
Took the car to the local garage and $56 later it was fixed . Mice had chewed off the wires going to the rear wheel speed sensors
My neighbor had a family of chipmunks in his attic and they chewed on everything including the wiring . They ended up pulling part of the ceiling down to repair the damage and plug all the holes .
Preparing to hitch up to trailer, started truck, & the 6 different warning lights when on. Investigation under the hood revealed a loose serpentine belt. During the night, a ground squirrel sought heat from the engine, & failed to vacate before the engine was started.

Now part of our check off list, is check under the hood of the tow vehicle before starting the engine, to scare off any hitch-hikers who may still be sleeping in.

From the campground, truck had to be towed to mechanic with tools to remove squirrel, & reinstall a new serpentine belt. Costly, & messed up the time table for the whole day.
Monica Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:08 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
I don't know how mice can get in; however, never, EVER leave your outside hatches open at night when you're camping or you'll definitely have company.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:34 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
I don't know how mice can get in; however, never, EVER leave your outside hatches open at night when you're camping or you'll definitely have company.
BUT Jan, you made a memory!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:34 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
I live in a rural area and have a homing pigeons, which results in waste grain laying around, so needless to say I have a terrible mouse problem. Maybe the worst ever. It's a constant battle keeping them out of our vehicles. They have done literally thousands of dollars worth of damage over the years. When I brought our brand new pickup home in February, I was thinking I must protect the truck, but how?? When I took it in for its first oil change, the mechanic reported he cleaned a large mouse nest out of the engine compartment and noted the beginnings of some chewed wires. Not good!! I ended up buying one of these things:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ords=sans+pest

It's a small device that emits an extremely annoying, high-pitched whine. I put it in the engine near where the nest was and haven't seen evidence of any mice since it's been there. I'm planning to buy four and put them in my upcoming Escape this winter with the hope it will deter them. Other than that, snap traps have been the most effective tool. I refuse to put poison out because I don't want to harm non-target animals, including my own pets
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:01 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 19'
Timely as yesterday after 4 days camping then home went to store. Had ungodly stench in vehicle. Lots of debris in cabin filter. Took to my mechanic & dead mouse in the intake. Yuck! Today luckily no bad odors.