Air Force Veteran Interested in Full Time RVing in Winter Weather - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2019, 01:41 PM   #1

Trailer: None - Yet
Question Air Force Veteran Interested in Full Time RVing in Winter Weather

Hello everyone - Air Force Veteran here. This is my first post on this forum. I don't own an Escape RV but hope to in the future (5.0 TA). I plan to live and travel extensively in northern latitudes above the "Lower 48". A mutual friend is a ski instructor and lives in his Outdoors RV and he loves doing both. I've read a few postings on this forum and it appears these are very well built RVs but Winter precautions including extra heat, thermal insulation on the tanks and any hard points that can transfer the exterior cold to internal components must be addressed thoroughly especially if Winter temps drop below zero (Fahrenheit). Does anyone have experience living full time in Escape RVs in sub-freezing temperatures? Thank you!

Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
Hello everyone - Air Force Veteran here. This is my first post on this forum. I don't own an Escape RV but hope to in the future (5.0 TA). I plan to live and travel extensively in northern latitudes above the "Lower 48". A mutual friend is a ski instructor and lives in his Outdoors RV and he loves doing both. I've read a few postings on this forum and it appears these are very well built RVs but Winter precautions including extra heat, thermal insulation on the tanks and any hard points that can transfer the exterior cold to internal components must be addressed thoroughly especially if Winter temps drop below zero (Fahrenheit). Does anyone have experience living full time in Escape RVs in sub-freezing temperatures? Thank you!
I like my Escape but I live in Texas. If you are going to live full time in sub zero temps, you should look at four season trailers like the Bigfoot or Oliver trailers.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
We have full timed for the past 2 years. Spent the winters primarily in New Mexico. It sometimes gets down into the teens at night. If you have water hookup you need to disconnect because the water hose will freeze. The worst thing that happened to us was the water line from the fresh tank to the pump also froze so couldn't even use the pump. Other than that the Escape handled the cold well. Furnace worked well and condensation was never much of an issue.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:28 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
While I believe that a correctly optioned Escape does just fine for short bursts of hard-core winter conditions (which we have done many times), I have to agree that a Bigfoot or an Oliver would be a better choice for full-timing way up north.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:56 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Welcome Gregory, spent my AF years at Offutt in the late 70's. Gotta agree with the others, if I were looking to winter in the cold, I'd go for a BF or Oliver for the double wall construction. Might find an older BF that doesn't break the bank.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:39 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
or, since you have wheels, why not use them.....70 degrees year round....
https://matadornetwork.com/read/nort...-weather-year/
Old 07-13-2019, 10:28 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
And that's what we did when a longer cold spell was forecast. Packed up and headed to lower elevations in Arizona.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
We try to do the reverse - temps start to get close to 100 f, time to head north.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:38 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
Hi Banshee! My husband Ian and I camped above Georgian Bay (above Lake Huron) and Lake Superior this past May. We had subfreezing temperatures at night. Even though we purchased all the possible insulation and thermal windows available for our Escape 19 in 2015, we had a lot of condensation surrounding the windows and dripping onto the mattress. I would look into the Oliver Campers which are built for winter camping. Holly
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:46 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly View Post
we had a lot of condensation surrounding the windows and dripping onto the mattress.

Did you have a window and your MaxxAir vent open a crack to reduce condensation ( which you were exhaling all night )?

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fulltime living, sking, winter