Airstream/Escape? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2018, 08:02 PM   #21

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Slim,
Click on the tab "Owners Map at the top of the page near the word forum.
It shows there to be a pretty new 5.0TA in Newnan Georgia.
...Bill
Bill that was a 2013 5.0 single axle and Todd and Kim sold it March last year, their sold post was the last time they posted, said they were getting a bigger trailer.

Slim now I did notice there's a 5.0TA in Columbus and we'll also be there late March at our daughter's at Fort Benning, you could come down look at the tandem axle and our old single to compare.

We'll also be at Green Eggs and Ham.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:28 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Despite what others have said, I think the bed in the TA is 60x80 and I know it is 54x80 in our 21.
I stand corrected: from the Escape website-

Rear bed / dinette 48" X 86"
Permanent Double Bed 54" X 80"

The rear bed is 7' 2" not the front bed.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:47 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm probably one of the few people that wouldn't ever want to own a new Airstream... of any size. Yes, I do like some of the layouts, the outside... not so much. Don't care for the shiny aluminum rivet look. I do like "some" of the interiors, but the width to get there... no. There's an Airstream dealer not far from me. I stopped in one day to just look. The young fellow that came out to greet me had his nose so far up in the air, I'm surprised he could breathe. Little did he know I could have purchased anything on the lot, and paid cash, it was just his attitude that turned me off. Soooo different when stopping by ETI to look....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:13 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim pockets View Post
I can't see any rot issues on the fiberglass trailers. Am I wrong on this? I plan on storing it inside when not being used.
Some fiberglass trailers are susceptible to rot, mainly in the floor if the trailer is neglected and leaks over time. The entry points for water would be unsealed windows or roof vents, unsealed exterior lights, or perhaps defective rivets (in the fiberglass trailers that use them to mount interior fixtures - not Escapes). In a stick built trailer, including an Airstream, there are many more possible points of entry for water damage than in a fiberglass trailer.

Escape designed in voids under the floor that have small drains to outside, as well as encasing the floor in fiberglass resin. In the event of water entering, it will eventually go around the floor and collect in the low spots, and exit the shell through the tiny drain holes. Provided you check the roof vents and window seals every few years or so, and replace any deteriorated caulk, keep it clean, and do the routine maintenance, there's no reason why an Escape can't last a lifetime.

Since you plan to store your trailer indoors, the seals and caulk should last a very long time before any touch up is required.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:29 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
The Airstream dealer in this video (59 mins) states the roof seams have to be redone ever 5 years...”stripped and re sealed” and there are some long seams running down each side of the roof.
https://youtu.be/mH50mNul-J8
Checking that the vents are sealed on the Escape is way less work.
I think you would be pleased with the roof line of the 5TA inside.
I was a little surprised at that also.

Sure is a nice looking trailer inside and those windows, what a view.

The guy should have said, "folks, don't do this at home" when he went sideways from the stepladder to the roof. That's a good way to have a nasty day. He needs a Little Giant. Straight up and on.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:33 PM   #26

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
That ladder demo is just a whole lot of what not to do!
I did like the waste baskets in the back of the counter top and the porthole in the bathroom door.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:57 AM   #27

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Another thing that put me off on ASs was many folks were complaining about filiform corrosion, hopefully they have fixed the issue by now.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:06 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
I looked really hard at Airstreams.

Things that put me off:
  • At the time beds were short (I'm 6'4")
  • They are heavy
  • They dent
  • They leak at the seams (See LongLongHoneymoon on Utube)
  • They are expensive

I had a Casita for a year and a half.
  • Not enough headroom
  • Bed too short crossways
  • Only one person could stand up
  • Floor can rot - no drain holes
  • Very limited options

We stopped and saw Cpaharley's and I was sold in the first five minutes.

Our 21' bed is long enough. Two people can move around. I can stand up straight. The air conditioner is a little low. I do wish it had a separate shower. Pulls great. Looks nice. Doesn't dent.

And that's the truth.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:51 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I agree with those who say that you absolutely have to spend some time in each trailer to see which one could work. It could get pretty claustrophobic never being able to stand up straight, not to mention bad for the back. We liked our 31’ Airstream just fine. Pulling it was smooth and our Suburban got terrible gas mileage but was excellent for our family of five children. I believe that we would have needed to get at least a 25 or 26’ Airstream to have the same size bed as our 19’ but I think you could walk around the bed in an Airstream — no climbing over each other.

Of course an Airstream slopes and we had to hunch over (and we’re both under 6’) to enter and to leave.

I would guess there’s not just the height issue if one is tall. I’d also be thinking about the legroom at the table. If our table didn’t slide Terry would not be as comfortable. As it is he is surprised that he finds it so comfortable.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:56 AM   #30

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
One more thing - the wet bath. We mostly use the showers in the bath houses but there are creative ways to get comfortable in the shower —- sitting down for one thing. I did that for an entire year in Israel due to the design of the shower which was half as big as a bathtub with a built in seat and a removable shower hose. Wiping down the shower when done using it is easier for me to do than it is for Terry who is larger than me.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:42 AM   #31

As a former Airstreamer for 7 years before molded fiberglass I don't think you can compare Escapes and Airstreams, they are 2 totally different categories. Each has their pluses and minuses and no RV is perfect- you just try to get the one that works best for you at the time. We have had every brand of molded fiberglass ( 7 Bigfoots and 2- Escapes plus all the others) trying to find the perfect one and have settled for what we can live with. Last count was over 40 different RV's in over 40 years owning more than one at a time. By the way we never had leaking problems with our Airstream, probably because we maintained it properly. We got into molded fiberglass because the constant dings in the Airstream from rocks drove me crazy. It really all depends on how you camp. Face it folks molded fiberglass isn't for everyone. We have a friend who is 6'10" tall and went RV shopping with them. He is barely comfortable in a 28 ft. stick built with slide outs and a modified sleeping area but it has plenty of ceiling space for him. They are also not good for larger families in my opinion even though I know people who cram it full with bodies- not for me. So that is my 2 cents worth. I am holding out for an Oliver- 22.6 ft. LOL
trlqwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:50 AM   #32

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlqwen View Post
As a former Airstreamer for 7 years before molded fiberglass I don't think you can compare Escapes and Airstreams, they are 2 totally different categories. Each has their pluses and minuses and no RV is perfect- you just try to get the one that works best for you at the time. We have had every brand of molded fiberglass ( 7 Bigfoots and 2- Escapes plus all the others) trying to find the perfect one and have settled for what we can live with. Last count was over 40 different RV's in over 40 years owning more than one at a time. By the way we never had leaking problems with our Airstream, probably because we maintained it properly. We got into molded fiberglass because the constant dings in the Airstream from rocks drove me crazy. It really all depends on how you camp. Face it folks molded fiberglass isn't for everyone. We have a friend who is 6'10" tall and went RV shopping with them. He is barely comfortable in a 28 ft. stick built with slide outs and a modified sleeping area but it has plenty of ceiling space for him. They are also not good for larger families in my opinion even though I know people who cram it full with bodies- not for me. So that is my 2 cents worth. I am holding out for an Oliver- 22.6 ft. LOL
Thank you for an excellent and very insightful post 👍
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:59 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
Geez, for once I feel good about being average height- 5.9.
When it comes to rving I guess that is one advantage, I “fit” ok.
Lol.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:29 AM   #34

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
We spent a few days in Palm Springs recently, at the Happy Traveler RV park. Walking around the place, when I saw this trailer I nearly fell down. Guessing there's little head space inside. Never heard of a this brand before. Anyone?

Must also mention that a few rows down from our spot I met Morrie Steele, from Chilliwack, who also happens to own the very first 5.0TA built.
Attached Thumbnails
Bowlus.jpg   First5.0TA.jpg  
Old 03-13-2018, 08:39 AM   #35

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
...Must also mention that a few rows down from our spot I met Morrie Steele, from Chilliwack, who also happens to own the very first 5.0TA built.
Myron, I take it that you meant "first ever 2nd generation 5.0TA"?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:40 AM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
We spent a few days in Palm Springs recently, at the Happy Traveler RV park. Walking around the place, when I saw this trailer I nearly fell down. Guessing there's little head space inside. Never heard of a this brand before. Anyone?

Must also mention that a few rows down from our spot I met Morrie Steele, from Chilliwack, who also happens to own the very first 5.0TA built.
Maybe it was at FGRV, but I saw some stuff about the Bowlus. Not many made, and made with very nice style.

That is a new generation 5.0TA, so not the first built. Possibly the first out of the new moulds?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:42 AM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Bowlus Road Chief? Oh yeah. I remember when it was launched. There are those that want the look of the original 1930s Bowlus, but what all the features and technology of the this century. You better have plenty of $$.

"The Bowlus Road Chief - Limited Edition Endless Highways is $219,000 and available in two beautiful color palettes. The Bowlus Road Chief - On The Road® Edition is $137,000 and is available in three stunning themes.

Additionally, you can open the swatch books and personalize your Road Chief with over 400 seating, bedding, flooring and awning options. Fees start at $10,000 for this option. If you'd like to name your Road Chief, we’d be pleased to create a custom fender skirt for you – another Bowlus first. "
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:25 AM   #38

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Holey moley! At those prices I'd be afraid to tow my Bowlus in the rain. But, it certainly is a striking site to see. And yes, that's right, Morrie owns the very first new second generation 5.0TA produced.
Attached Thumbnails
Bowlus1.jpg  
Old 03-13-2018, 09:28 AM   #39

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
www.bowlusroadchief.com/

They list the interior height at 6'-4" for both models. With the curvature this is obviously down the center aisle.

Beautiful craftsmanship and big bucks to go with it. I'd love to know how they are completely tucking away a 10,000 BTU A/C unit. Where is the condenser? The Limited Edition has the ability to run it off batteries for up to 4 hours. I do see lithium batteries and inverter. Both models have heated floors. I assume they are using something like the Truma Combi.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:26 AM   #40

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Thanks, Dave for the link that is a cool or should I say warm trailer. It says it uses hot water heating system with warm floor heating pipes as well. What an interesting approach.
And where and what is the 10000 btu AC? I don’t see anything on the external pics.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote