Airstream/Escape? - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2018, 02:54 AM   #51

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
This will probably get some folks bent out of shape, but aside from the fact that it's ridiculously priced, I find the Bowlus' shape rather ugly. I can see the retro appeal, but it doesn't do it for me. Perhaps it's the front vs the back.
At least the Bowlus makes aerodynamic sense. The rounded tails of Airstreams (and most moulded fiberglass trailers) are aerodynamic messes; a tapered tail done properly (and this appears that it might be) actually works, and the blunt rounded front works, too. The position of the door on the front is weird, but the designer wanted to avoid a protruding side door (for aerodynamics) or a side door that wraps almost to the centre (as the very rounded top would require for full standing height).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
As the shiny ones go, check out a 1950's Silver Streak Clipper - that's a classic trailer.
The Silver Streak's rear taper is not nearly fine enough, so flow will separate and it will be poor aerodynamically. The slightly pointed front looks good, but in the space behind the tow vehicle it won't help much, if at all. If all that matters is appearance... then whatever suits individual aesthetic preference is fine.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:33 AM   #52

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The position of the door on the front is weird, but the designer wanted to avoid a protruding side door (for aerodynamics) or a side door that wraps almost to the centre (as the very rounded top would require for full standing height).
The shape and layout does not support a rear door like the Nest or Happier Camper concept, but another benefit of the front door is that it does allow for long items to be carried in the trailer. Nice touch, but I wonder how many buyers of a Bowlus are taking along a kayak inside?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kayak.JPG (59.0 KB, 25 views)

rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote