Another newbie here - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #1

Trailer: Working on my build list
Another newbie here

Seriously considering an Escape. Probably a 17B or 19. Either will be a major step up from a backpack and my feet.

I live on the west side of Washington's Olympic Peninsula and we get about 10 feet of rain a year so I'm thinking a fiberglass trailer makes sense. The owners of stick built trailers seem to spend a lot of time fighting leaks. The Escape seems to be the best of the fiberglass trailers.
WestEnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #2

Trailer: No more Escape 21
WestEnder, you are so correct. The Escape beats any stick built trailer, period. A high school buddy's parents lived in La Push so I know what you get in rain. You'll not regret getting an Escape.

Rick, on the east side of the Olympics.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I well remember camping on the Peninsula as a kid and the rain was an expected part of it. It's called Blue Tarp Camping now although we had only canvas tarps when I was growing up. Just seeing your post and that you're from Forks brought back a lot of memories. Welcome!
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17B - Escape Pod
We visited the Olympic Peninsula last summer, with very little rain! I guess we got lucky! Forks was a nice stop on our last day. You are right, fiberglass trailers keep the rain out, and have many other advantages.
ddevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Welcome aboard WestEnder. I too came from a background of backcounty travel, and in fact still do some. Can't beat the Escape for travel though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Welcome, WestEnder!

The choice of a 17' or 19' usually depends on which bed you have to have and how tall you are. The 19' has more interior height. There is about another foot of width on the 19' bed and the same on the dinette. The other important feature is that the 19' has dual axles. Some want that for more safety and others do not want to pay more maintenance for it. Hope that helps.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Welcome, WestEnder!

The choice of a 17' or 19' usually depends on which bed you have to have and how tall you are. The 19' has more interior height. There is about another foot of width on the 19' bed and the same on the dinette. The other important feature is that the 19' has dual axles. Some want that for more safety and others do not want to pay more maintenance for it. Hope that helps.
Don't you also pay more on ferries if you have dual axles? Could be wrong on that.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #8

Trailer: Working on my build list
Thanks everybody, I appreciate the warm welcome.

No - Washington ferry fares are length (overall w/ trailer) and height based. There is a height surcharge for a vehicle under 30' and over 7'6". After that, its length based in 10' increments. Either a 17 or 19 would be in the 30' to 40' range with my little truck so there is no advantage either way. It's cheaper to go round. Tacoma Narrows Bridge charges by the axle and is a LOT cheaper but adds about 80 miles if going north. If going south, going down the coast and cutting inland at Hoquiam avoids all tolls and is a much more pleasant drive.
WestEnder is offline   Reply With Quote