Are 5th wheel hitches easily removable. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2013, 01:47 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 - 5.0
You will need the long box Frontier (6') or equivalent from some other manufacturer.

One thing to consider about the slider hitch. A couple of people I have spoken to have not actually used the sliding function of the hitches. In a compact truck the space required to allow the hitch to slide would restrict the amount of things that could be carried in the truck bed.

Just one more of the thousand things to think about

Old 06-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #12

Trailer: 5.0
Thanks islandr, that is the vehicle we are planning on getting. The crew cab and a 6 foot bed.

Not so Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0 "Day Break"
I just had my truck set up yesterday (2012 Ram, 6 Cyl) with a 16K Pro-Series 5th wheel hitch and a Prodigy P2 Brake Controller. When I got it home, I removed it as my 5.0 is not due until next month. The removal was quite easy, but the hitch is very heavy. I have the option of taking it out in 2 pieces, which in the future I will do.

For those that don't know, when I was having the hitch installed, I called the factory to find out what size Lube Plate to use, Reece said that they use the 9" lube plates but a 10 inch would work fine. I bought one 10 for now, but will purchases 9's in the future.

Does anybody know how long these things last? Is it one time use or can I expect a few trips with these things. I don't want to have lots of grease all over the hitch if I can help it.
itoddday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #14

Oh no a new question...What is a lube plate?
Old 06-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #15

This is from the Reese website. I put a link below. I just cant find out how long these last....

Reese Accessories and Parts - RP83002

Prevent scratches on your fifth-wheel's skid plate and ease trailer hookup by installing this nylon lube plate. Works with Reese 16,000-lb and 22,000-lb fifth-wheel trailer hitches.

Features:
  • Prevents scratches on skid plate of your 5th-wheel trailer hitch
  • Lets trailer king pin slide into hitch with ease
    • No need for messy grease
  • Offers extra protection with large surface area
  • Constructed of durable nylon

Specs:
  • Application: Reese 5th-wheel trailer hitches with 16,000-lb and 22,000-lb capacities
  • Thickness: .192"
  • Diameter: 10"

83002 Reese Fifth Wheel Lube Plate - 16,000-lb and 22,000-lb Hitches

Lube Plate for Reese 5th Wheel Trailer Hitches - 10" Diameter Reese Accessories and Parts RP83002
Old 06-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #16

Thank you for the info it seems a good plan.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not so Big Al View Post
Oh no a new question...What is a lube plate?
Hi: Not so Big Al... I replaced ours after 5 years. It was showing signs of cracking around the outer edge and I didn't want it to fall apart while we were traveling. They only cost around $10. and lots cleaner than grease. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie p.s. sorry you can't see it around the pin heading into the hitch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020905.jpg (192.2 KB, 13 views)
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #18

Alf, does it make a difference? I imagine i still have to lube the king pin. Do you, and what kind of grease do you use? I am used to towing a large boat and use grease on the ball. I used some bearing grease and it worked great. It made the hitch less noisy and minimized the fretting corrosion on the ball. I just wiped it down after the trip. It also kept rust from forming on the ball.

I am aprehensive about my brake controller. Never used one before. The boats i have had were brakeless of had hydraulic surge brakes. Any thoughts?
Old 06-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by itoddday View Post
Alf, does it make a difference? I imagine i still have to lube the king pin. Do you, and what kind of grease do you use? I am used to towing a large boat and use grease on the ball. I used some bearing grease and it worked great. It made the hitch less noisy and minimized the fretting corrosion on the ball. I just wiped it down after the trip. It also kept rust from forming on the ball.

I am aprehensive about my brake controller. Never used one before. The boats i have had were brakeless of had hydraulic surge brakes. Any thoughts?
Hi: itoddday... I spray some Dura Lube on the pin and locking mech. and wipe off any excess. Don't have to do it that often as I keep the tonneau cover closed when not towing.
As for the controller I check it when I remember to. Once the trailer/truck is hooked up I pinch the slide lever on my controller. The digi. readout goes to 5 and while holding it so...I put the truck in "D" and try to pull away. The trailer brakes will hold the truck back when locked on. Under normal braking the readout is usually 1.8- 2.5. Just enough to help... but not pull!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:58 AM   #20

Thanks Alf any info I get is important to me. This really the proverbial can of worms.