buying used, please help - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #21

Trailer: 2006 17C
It's official, we are now the happy owners of an "06 Escape 17C. The previous owners took very good care of the trailer and it looks great. This one has been painted and although we thought we were looking at a 17B, turns out its a 17C. But that wasn't a deal breaker for us.

It was an adventure getting it home from B.C. to Alberta. Mud, snow, ice, and 850 km of towing makes for a long first day with the trailer. I also had to winterize it in the hotel parking lot, and as this is my first time owning an RV of any kind, I already messed up my winterization. I did not pull the plug and drain the hot water heater!! Now, it's -12C and I'm not sure if I should try to heat things up with a heater and get the plug out ASAP, or leave it for the first above zero day. Is the damage already done?? I ran a lot of RV antifreeze through the plumbing and got quite a bit in the hot water tank (another mistake, I now realize). I'm not sure if I will do more damage trying to open up that drain now.

I would appreciate any opinions as I am a little worried about my first mistake...

(14.2 L/100 km towing with the Runner makes me happy!!)

Thanks
Old 02-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Get that plug out and let it drain and leave it out until it gets warm, stuff a rag in the hole. It may not have enough antifreeze so leaving it empty is best.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Croz View Post
It's official, we are now the happy owners of an "06 Escape 17C. The previous owners took very good care of the trailer and it looks great. This one has been painted and although we thought we were looking at a 17B, turns out its a 17C. But that wasn't a deal breaker for us.

It was an adventure getting it home from B.C. to Alberta. Mud, snow, ice, and 850 km of towing makes for a long first day with the trailer. I also had to winterize it in the hotel parking lot, and as this is my first time owning an RV of any kind, I already messed up my winterization. I did not pull the plug and drain the hot water heater!! Now, it's -12C and I'm not sure if I should try to heat things up with a heater and get the plug out ASAP, or leave it for the first above zero day. Is the damage already done?? I ran a lot of RV antifreeze through the plumbing and got quite a bit in the hot water tank (another mistake, I now realize). I'm not sure if I will do more damage trying to open up that drain now.

I would appreciate any opinions as I am a little worried about my first mistake...

(14.2 L/100 km towing with the Runner makes me happy!!)

Thanks
I agree with Jim and your mistake of running RV antifreeze into the hot water tank may well save you. If you displaced enough fresh water with antifreeze you may have gotten enough in to prevent the tank from freezing solid. I would go ahead and take the plug out, then you can get a better idea. If water drains out normally maybe it did not freeze solid. And if you can get enough out, then even if it does freeze there should be expansion room in the water heater tank.

You will want to really flush the hot water heater out REALLY well to get the antifreeze out of it in the spring before you use the water heater. I made the same mistake once and once that antifreeze heats up inside the water heater it leaves a bad taste and smell that takes a while to get rid of.

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
You could leave the low point drain open and run the furnace as you will not be able to remove the plug and anode until it warms up. You could try lighting the water heater if it is full and melt it first then remove the plug and anode.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #25

Trailer: 2006 17C
Alright, I will get that plug out tonight and hope for liquid...

Thanks very much,
Shawn
Old 02-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
You could leave the low point drain open and run the furnace as you will not be able to remove the plug and anode until it warms up. You could try lighting the water heater if it is full and melt it first then remove the plug and anode.
Why would you not be able to remove the drain plug when cold?

baglo
Old 02-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Shawn, Congratulations on your new Escape! Glad you made it back.
Good chance there won't be any damage. Hope you have the right tool for that as it is difficult even when not frozen. Yes, we are all waiting for it to warm up!
Hope you post some photos.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I do not think he wants to heat that tank with anitfreeze in it. He may never get that taste removed.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I do not think he wants to heat that tank with anitfreeze in it. He may never get that taste removed.
I can vouch for the fact that it takes a long time and lots of flushing to get rid of!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Why would you not be able to remove the drain plug when cold?

baglo
Hi Glenn

On the end of the plug is an anode that will be frozen into a block of ice, if you put a wrench on it and turn it will probably snap off the anode rod.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Hi Jim

Just a little heat to melt a bit of ice so some water runs out and takes the pressure off the water heater tank.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I can vouch for the fact that it takes a long time and lots of flushing to get rid of!
Your not kidding....

When I winterize my trailer I pump antifreeze through the plumbing (with the hot water tank bypassed) and then I lift the front of the trailer up and open the low point drain at the back to let as much antifreeze out as possible. Any liquid left in the system will be antifreeze and hopefully not much. BUT I still let everything run in the spring for and hour or so to flush the system.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #33

Got it. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I used to have to use RV antifreeze in my stick built, but am SO glad I have never had to use it in the waterlines of my Escape. Really glad they designed it with the low point drain, which is such a simple concept, I don't understand why other manufactures do not do it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #35

Hi Jim

You can't always trust a low point drain, last unit I drained and blew out the lines but there was this little valve in the toilet that ended up cracked in the spring.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Hi Jim

You can't always trust a low point drain, last unit I drained and blew out the lines but there was this little valve in the toilet that ended up cracked in the spring.
Did you have anti-freeze in the toilet?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Hi Jim

Trust me, I know this one only too well...'nough said.
If you pull the flush handle open, and allow water in the toilet supply to drain back, then all will be good.
Well, I will add that the dealer that sold me the replacement valve said that he sold about 50 a year for the same reason.

I actually tried blowing out the lines after fully draining using the low-point drain, and got but a wee bit of spitting. At first I was a bit leery of the relying on the low-point drain, but checked out every line, and other than one with a wee bit of sag (not near enough to fill the whole pipe), I was happy in knowing that all the supply lines would in fact drain.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:22 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Did you have anti-freeze in the toilet?
No just used the low point drain and air hose. But this was the unit I had in my previous life, before my Escape.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:28 PM   #39

Ouch. The Old Bag was inside the trailer, opening and closing taps while I pumped the anti-freeze from outside. But, I don't recall telling her to hold the toilet flush valve open.
Oh well, it's been a mild winter.

baglo
Old 02-19-2013, 11:33 PM   #40

Glenn

Word on the street is Jim or I could probably direct you to a good valve supplier.