Dave and Daisy say Hey! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2015, 09:44 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Dave and Daisy say Hey!

We have a t@b right now and love it but we are looking at larger trailers to go on extended trips with when retire in a couple of years. the Escape is one of the campers that has peaked our interest and we want to know more about it before making any kind of decision.

http://i.imgur.com/uVx21ENm.jpg
Porsche Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:15 AM   #2

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Welcome! Lots of great info on this forum, so start digging in and reading past posts. Good luck with your decision. We don't have a trailer, but after viewing 4 of them, we're in love and we're saving to get one.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:07 AM   #3

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Welcome to the forum! We have been on the forum since January when we ordered our 5.0TA. We pick it up Sept 8th.
You will find a lot of really great information here from other Escape trailer owners who have a wealth of knowledge and are more than happy to share their experiences. A better bunch of folks you'll never meet!
Enjoy!!
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Porsche Pilot:
Like you, my wife and I really enjoyed our Tab. We bought it in 2007 and sold it (to the first person who looked at it) just before Memorial Day. We also wanted something a little bigger--however, we only went a small amount larger with a 17B, which we will be picking up Aug. 14th. Escape makes a great trailer and the very favorable exchange rate now makes them an outstanding deal. Good luck with your decision making!
Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:25 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Welcome Dave & Daisy!

You may want to call and Escape and see if there are local referrals so you could see some in person. Have you decided what size you are interested in? Once you get that far it would be good to get your order in as the production schedule is out to 2016 and after the Trailer Life write up who knows! We had a 17ft Casita Freedom. Loved that little trailer but wanted more space after we retired so we could enjoy being out longer in the year and to make longer trips more comfortable. We love our 21!

Good luck, it's all good!
Kathie (& Dave)
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:13 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Dave and Daisy, I must warn you: once you see an Escape in person, be prepared to get out the checkbook. For us, having seen other fiberglass units, there was no comparison.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Welcome to you both and happy looking. I took one look inside the Escape and the decision was instantaneous! I think that happens a lot!
Old 07-31-2015, 09:57 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quite true that the Escape trailers DO invite the curious. Took my 21 to a local Camping World service center in Oregon for the Dometic RML/RMD fridge change out; they'd never seen one before. First all the techs came over to visit, then the sales guys, and finally a customer shopping for an RV who said it reminded him of some of the caravans of Europe since it was a clean and simple design compared to the gaudy offerings on the CW lot.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:41 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Our 19 foot Nash trailer was a typical fibreglass panel trailer with rubber roof, but after 5 years the back, front and floor suddenly displayed severe water damage that cost $6800 to repair. Thereafter we were very vigilant, even getting the RV repair people to help check for leaks, however last year brought another $5000 in leak damage (which we didn’t repair; sold instead). My brother-in-laws trailer has similar damage after 6 years. It has been suggested that the lighter frames flex so much that the screws holding the fibreglass panels ream out the butyl putty, providing paths for water)

With that experience we resolved to go to a complete fibreglass trailer, where the corners were not bridged by butyl putty and screws. We started looking at Big Foots, but the Escape is lighter and less expensive, and BEST OF ALL the owners/designers are fantastic. Can you imagine getting to speak with the owner/designer of the trailer if you have any hard questions. They are good, honest people. That is why the wait time for their trailers continues to increase (we waited for 8 months for our 21).

But have a look at them for yourself.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:48 AM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Welcome
We went with totally fiberglass after almost the exact same scenario as Bob K above, although I spent the first 4 weeks of retirement fixing the rotted floor. Started looking for a retirement trailer a few years ago, the rotted floor pushed WATER RESISTANCE to the forefront of requirements. For me, being 6'2", the fiberglass trailers were too small for months at a time, as was the T@B. Then coinciding with the floor fiasco Escape came out with the 21 and rumors of the 5.0TA (twin axle) . Looked at an owners 21, and a 5.0SA (single axle), really liked both with the fifth wheel floorplan fitting us best. Ordered the planned TA.
Have had it for a year and have taken one 5 week trip as well as some shorter. Worked out great on the 5 week, could easily have stayed out longer. Leaving shortly for 8 weeks traveling the west followed by a month in FL this winter to see how snowbirding in one spot works out.
The only downside is I still have to have a full size truck.

Have you had the T@B out for weeks at a time? You need to decide if the small size of these fiberglass trailers will suit you. Certainly not for everyone. Spent a few nights at a 55+ commercial campground in PA last weekend, we were the only sub 30+ footer there. Got a feeling this is how Florida will be come February.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:51 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
Welcome to you both and happy looking. I took one look inside the Escape and the decision was instantaneous! I think that happens a lot!
We had a Casita that was a bit too small. We went to see Cpaharley's 21' and I was sold in the first 5 minutes. Just a matter of convincing the wife and that didn't take much. Stickies always leak sooner or later and lose their value.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:09 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
While Padlin and I both need full sized trucks, in my case it is because of the boat, motor and fishing gear I usually carry. A smaller Tacoma could easily tow our 21, but has a slightly smaller carrying capacity than our 2005 Tundra.
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:12 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We went to see Cpaharley's 21' and I was sold in the first 5 minutes
Here I thought it was my charm that sold you on the product.......
Old 08-01-2015, 09:23 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
We went to see Cpaharley's 21' and I was sold in the first 5 minutes
Here I thought it was my charm that sold you on the product.......
That too...

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:11 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Well thanks so much for the welcoming! I tend to spend a LOT of time researching before I move forward. Our t@b is perfect for our weekend travels and maybe a week of camping but having the space to venture out for longer periods once I retire without breaking the bank is key for us.
Porsche Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote