Escape Durability and Off-Road Capability - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2017, 07:40 PM   #21

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtar View Post
You guys are doing a really good job of selling me on the Escape Trailers. It will be a nice upgrade over the roof top tent...
nice looking rig..just curious...how do those elevated tents workout in a rainstorm with lightning?
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:53 PM   #22

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
nice looking rig..just curious...how do those elevated tents workout in a rainstorm with lightning?
I wouldn't recommend it...
Being from California and traveling mostly to UT/AZ/CO, it has never been an issue.
I can say that in a wind storm it is so loud that you can't sleep because of it.
Rtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:53 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 19'
we have a similar roof top tent on our current trailer. for the most part it does alright, when everything is calm the only complaint I have is I can't stand up inside... when it's really windy and/or rainy it's very interesting inside.. but it does hold up to high wind and stay dry, whether or not you can sleep is a different story...
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:16 PM   #24

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I really like this thread. Shows the capability and durability of Escape trailers and some of the great places people have been off the beaten path. Not hardcore as trailer was on only a few unpaved roads but handled it well. I think these trailers can go down any reasonable road if provisions for securing gear is made and speed is reduced accordingly. The ability to tow the trailer with a 4X4 SUV and also carry canoes/kayaks creates great flexibility. Set up your basecamp and then unhitch and explore. We had an amazing time this past summer on a lakefront site and explored some of the 1.1 million acres of the Pinelands National Reserve. Most people don't realize this unique and beautiful area covers 22% of NJ.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1283.JPG   IMG_1285.JPG   IMG_1284.JPG  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:49 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I really like this thread. Shows the capability and durability of Escape trailers and some of the great places people have been off the beaten path. Not hardcore as trailer was on only a few unpaved roads but handled it well. I think these trailers can go down any reasonable road if provisions for securing gear is made and speed is reduced accordingly. The ability to tow the trailer with a 4X4 SUV and also carry canoes/kayaks creates great flexibility. Set up your basecamp and then unhitch and explore. We had an amazing time this past summer on a lakefront site and explored some of the 1.1 million acres of the Pinelands National Reserve. Most people don't realize this unique and beautiful area covers 22% of NJ.
No, I did no know that there was anything like that in NJ! Will have to make a visit some time.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:50 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
No, I did no know that there was anything like that in NJ! Will have to make a visit some time.
About 570,000 acres are protected. It really is a special place with a rich history and diverse array of plants and animals.
New Jersey Pinelands Commission | The Pinelands National Reserve
Old 02-04-2017, 10:44 AM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Several years back I did quite a bit of washboard getting to remote camps with my Escape 17b. It handled it pretty well with two necessary mods. I definitely had to have a bungee refrigerator door solution to keep the door shut. Second, several of the cabinet doors fell off and I had to do a stronger mount on the hinge screws. I just reinforced pulling all the base cabinet hinge screws and then putting wood glue in the holes and remounting the hinges. Never had any more issues, but if I were going to do a ton of off road I'd probably put a through cabinet mounting with a backing plate/washer.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:52 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
About 570,000 acres are protected. It really is a special place with a rich history and diverse array of plants and animals.
New Jersey Pinelands Commission | The Pinelands National Reserve
That is very interesting to learn after all these years of New Jersey being the butt of apparently very unfair jokes about being ugly. Thanks for the enlightenment!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:55 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I just don't think you can beat the construction of a moulded fibreglass trailer for toughness while towing, and still keep it of a reasonable weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
In eight years, I've not had to tighten a single screw.
We neither have the time, or qualifications to discuss you and your "loose screw" on this forum.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:59 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We neither have the time, or qualifications to discuss you and your "loose screw" on this forum.
Maybe it's plural...

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:19 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
That is very interesting to learn after all these years of New Jersey being the butt of apparently very unfair jokes about being ugly. Thanks for the enlightenment!
Don't get me wrong I know where some of the jokes come from. There are areas of NJ that are nothing to write home about. Northeast up towards NYC is developed very dense and is rough around the edges. I could never live there.

Somewhat surprising even to me is that the Pinelands Reserve or "Pine Barrens" as locals call it is the largest undeveloped area on the mid-Atlantic seaboard between Richmond and Boston.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:52 PM   #32

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
I'm hoping ETI is much smarter with where they run the propane line than Aliner was. On my Aliner, it runs under the frame, and because I drive on (and live on) gravel roads, the rocks kicking up actually flattened it and pinched it off so the fridge didn't work. It had to be replaced, and I've since covered it with a rubber hose, but it still feels a little bent. As I said, hopefully ETI is smarter, but this was my "complication" with rough/gravel roads.
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:34 PM   #33

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
U-Haul's mock Burro design ran solid pipe propane lines under the floor.

"Rough around the edges" is putting it nicely. But it wasn't always like that in Essex County, where I grew up, within sight of the Hoffman, then the Pabst Brewery bottle. Then all the chestnut trees died, they built the 6-lane GSP which cut my block in half lengthwise, the fifties ended, people moved away, neighborhoods changed.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:57 PM   #34

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
I'm hoping ETI is much smarter with where they run the propane line than Aliner was. On my Aliner, it runs under the frame, and because I drive on (and live on) gravel roads, the rocks kicking up actually flattened it and pinched it off so the fridge didn't work. It had to be replaced, and I've since covered it with a rubber hose, but it still feels a little bent. As I said, hopefully ETI is smarter, but this was my "complication" with rough/gravel roads.
There are code rules that state where gas piping , joints and gas fittings can be installed . The piping has to be accessible for inspection and repair. Normally gas piping is not concealed in walls or structures .
Both my Scamp and Casita had / have their gas piping run under the trailer and clamped to the frame.
Having a propane leak on the exterior of a trailer is far less dangerous than a propane leak in a concealed area inside the trailet where gas vapors can build up .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:06 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
"Rough around the edges" is putting it nicely. But it wasn't always like that in Essex County, where I grew up, within sight of the Hoffman, then the Pabst Brewery bottle. Then all the chestnut trees died, they built the 6-lane GSP which cut my block in half lengthwise, the fifties ended, people moved away, neighborhoods changed.
Maybe "rough except for the edges" is more appropriate.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:37 PM   #36

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Camping off-road in the Anza Borrego Desert

Here are some pictures of us camping off-road in our 19' in the Anza Borrego Desert...no one for miles...what we like!! The dual tires tend to stay up on top of the soft sand and we take it easy.

The most difficult, treacherous journey we ever made was over Sonora Pass in the Sierra Nevada mountains while heavily loaded down. The pass grade is at 7% to 26%, the steepest grade in the Sierra Nevada and is 24 miles of continuous switchbacks, down into the high desert. We barely made it over going as slow as 1 mph near the top. My heart is still recovering and that was few years back!!
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:07 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
What campground did you stay in?
markh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:33 PM   #38

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I stayed in a similar campground once, the Horny Toad RV Center. Isolated except for an occasional drug mule, no pool, no hookups, one site only, surrounded by goatheads and needleberries.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:12 PM   #39

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Sonora pass????

In 1972 we left Sonora, CA in a 1970 Ford Ranchero towing a 23' Traveleze trailer that was loaded. We started out over Sonora Pass heading for Colorado, Nancy could smell the trans oil very soon so we turned around and went around the hills to Vegas and I installed a additional trans cooler while parked behind a RV shop. That got us to Colorado. All part of having fun I guess.
Jack

rv
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:55 PM   #40

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
It is good you turned around and din't hit the 26% grade...that never ends..

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
In 1972 we left Sonora, CA in a 1970 Ford Ranchero towing a 23' Traveleze trailer that was loaded. We started out over Sonora Pass heading for Colorado, Nancy could smell the trans oil very soon so we turned around and went around the hills to Vegas and I installed a additional trans cooler while parked behind a RV shop. That got us to Colorado. All part of having fun I guess.
Jackrv
It's good you turned around. I should have heeded the many signs we passed that stated, "RVs and Travel Trailer not Advised"!!! It was so bad I purchased the book of mountain passes in the US so it never happens again.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote