Escape Durability and Off-Road Capability - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2017, 11:15 AM   #1

Trailer: TBD
Escape Durability and Off-Road Capability

Hi Forum!

I'm new here and have a few questions that I wasn't able to find using the search function.

I'm curious to hear experiences or opinions on how the Escape trailers do with off road use. I'm not looking to go rock crawling or anything like that, but would like to mostly boondock, which requires going down a lot of dirt roads. How does the design of the Escape do with this?

Has anyone heard of problems with the overhead cabinets failing, or cracking in the roof from vibrations? Any issues with the lower portion of the body cracking at the frame/body mounts from excessive vibration? And how are repairs if you say, back into something and crack the shell?

We're looking at an Airstream Sport 22 and comparing that to the Escape 19. The Airstreams are great, but even on normal roads they will pop rivets and have issues with cabinets loosening up...

Thanks for the help everyone!
Rtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 19'
Prior on deciding to get an Escape trailer I did some looking on the Expedition Portal and my conclusion was the fiberglass trailers hold up better on gravel roads or anything that giggles much... since the olivers are way out of our price range and we did not like the casita floor plan as much, we decide to get the escape..... there was also a guy on the expo forum that took his escape 17' to some "interesting" locations which gives us the confidence. (he has since sold the escape and went for a much smaller offroad trailer)

That said I am aware that trailers of any kind shakes more than the vehicle and certain precautions are necessary regardless of trailer type.. Our little offroad trailer with shocks and nubby tires still giggles a lot, and when we dont "pack and button" things up properly we have to put up the results afterward - one time the legs of a dutch oven worn through the padding and "shines" two spots on the cast iron skillet underneath.. after ~22miles-ish of racetrack road in death valley.. I suspect with the escape trailer we'd have to do more of that, but it's the price to pay for having walls... (and a real bed)
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:40 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
One of my favourite campsites is at the end of 45 minutes of washboard. I bungee the fridge door closed and some of the cupboards. In eight years, I've not had to tighten a single screw.
Attached Thumbnails
Rock pile.jpg   Skagit washboard road.jpg  
Old 02-03-2017, 11:41 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtar View Post
Hi Forum!

I'm new here and have a few questions that I wasn't able to find using the search function.

I'm curious to hear experiences or opinions on how the Escape trailers do with off road use. I'm not looking to go rock crawling or anything like that, but would like to mostly boondock, which requires going down a lot of dirt roads. How does the design of the Escape do with this?

Has anyone heard of problems with the overhead cabinets failing, or cracking in the roof from vibrations? Any issues with the lower portion of the body cracking at the frame/body mounts from excessive vibration? And how are repairs if you say, back into something and crack the shell?

We're looking at an Airstream Sport 22 and comparing that to the Escape 19. The Airstreams are great, but even on normal roads they will pop rivets and have issues with cabinets loosening up...

Thanks for the help everyone!
We just got our Escape 21 (love it) so cant comment on the Escape, but I towed our Casita 17' down all sorts of rutted and rough dirt roads......

never an issue at all. None.

My gut feeling is that if you are a careful driver, and you think about the fact that you basically have a big heavy semi-fragile thing behind you, and you tow slower than you would drive those roads (and slowly straddle big ruts, and avoid washboarded sections, and look way ahead) you should probably be fine.

However there are lots of folks who have driven many, many miles with Escapes, and I'm sure will chime in.

Welcome to the forum!

John
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
One of my favourite campsites is at the end of 45 minutes of washboard. I bungee the fridge door closed and some of the cupboards. In eight years, I've not had to tighten a single screw.
Holy cow that is impressive!!! cool!!!
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:48 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Short version of a longer story: We trusted our GPS when it suggested a shortcut over the Cabinet Mountains (or is it the Cupboard Mountains, I forget) in Montana. The shortcut ended up being a 29 mile dirt and rock Jeep track mountain pass that we couldn't turn around on, as there was no place to do so, and included three downed trees across the track that we had to clear to pass (we now carry a chainsaw, just in case). "Road" was quite rough. Knuckles were white. 29 miles took over four hours. We were in 4WD High for most of it. We had ETI retrofit the high lift axle just a few weeks prior to this, and glad we did. Trailer came through like a champ! A couple things we hadn't secured well enough got flung around, but no issues at all with the trailer itself. Anecdotal, I know, but a good testament I think to these trailers' construction.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:11 PM   #7

This is exactly the kind of reply that I wanted to hear. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2017, 12:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Love that you've put this trailer through the paces! Thanks for chiming in.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:20 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Rough roads do involve some degree of risk of damage to your Escape. You should read this thread. http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...oads-4567.html

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:52 PM   #10

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
... there was also a guy on the expo forum that took his escape 17' to some "interesting" locations which gives us the confidence. (he has since sold the escape and went for a much smaller offroad trailer)
Was this the guy that hauled the dead moose in his trailer? I still remember reading about that when I first joined this forum. It was an older thread.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:00 PM   #11

Think it was this guy (Ace Brown):

Although this looks pretty remote as well:

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 02-03-2017, 02:07 PM   #12

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Jayzuz! Holy Cow! Dang!

And an Isuzu Trooper! I got a new one in 1989 and had it for 21 years until I got my 2010 FJ. It was still on the road (the Trooper) as of a few years ago when I saw it go past me on the freeway. It was cognac in color and not that many around in that color, plus I recognized the dings I had put in it.

And the lack of a roof rack when an old maple tree fell on it.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
What GBaggs said. No problems.
Attached Thumbnails
ValGods19a.jpg  
Old 02-03-2017, 02:26 PM   #14

You guys are doing a really good job of selling me on the Escape Trailers. It will be a nice upgrade over the roof top tent...
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 12.24.54 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 12.24.29 PM.jpg  
Old 02-03-2017, 02:37 PM   #15

Here is my FJ and 19' after a bit of travel on muddy logging roads:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-20140823-00002.jpg  

Old 02-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Boondock as often as possible- longest dirt road drive was 24 miles on Soda Lake Road from Hwy 166 to Carrizo Plain. Your welcome to drive 12 miles to see our 21 with about 30K miles.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Boondock as often as possible- longest dirt road drive was 24 miles on Soda Lake Road from Hwy 166 to Carrizo Plain. Your welcome to drive 12 miles to see our 21 with about 30K miles.
Rossue, that would be great if we could take a look at your trailer! We're going out to MDO tomorrow to ride in the morning and then get breakfast at Back Bay Cafe.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:45 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Think it was this guy (Ace Brown):
Yes this guy. I saw the pic and know escape is the right trailer for us. (something the FJ can tow and go places)

the irony is we have since lost the FJ but we are still really looking forward to getting the escape trailer this year.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:58 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Rossue, that would be great if we could take a look at your trailer! We're going out to MDO tomorrow to ride in the morning and then get breakfast at Back Bay Cafe.
Ok- cool we are just off LOVR on your way out. Sending you a PM.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:35 PM   #20

Quote:
You guys are doing a really good job of selling me on the Escape Trailers. It will be a nice upgrade over the roof top tent...
There's another fellow on the forum going from a rooftop tent on his FJ to one of the Escape trailers. so, you won't be the only one.