Escape versus Egg camper versus casita - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2016, 12:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Ridgeline
Escape versus Egg camper versus casita

Any views on the quality of the Egg Camper? Especially in how it compares to the Escape or Casita campers? And, more specifically, the 17' models. Thanks!
camperhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperhiker View Post
Any views on the quality of the Egg Camper? Especially in how it compares to the Escape or Casita campers? Thanks!
Hi: camperhiker... Do you want my biased or unbiased opinion!!! They're both the same. Of the three only Escape makes a 5th wheel and I've owned both of them. Best little "Whirl house" on wheels. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Ridgeline
Thanks. I should have been more specific; I am actually interested in the 17' models. Thanks for your input.
camperhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Had a Casita 17', have 2 friends with Egg Campers. The Escape is a league by itself.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:12 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I owned an EggCamper, they are all electric and no insulation. You get what you pay for.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
We had the 17' EggCamper before our 21' Escape. The strengths of the EggCamper were: 6'7" of headroom; a large area for bed length, (but only wide enough for a double); and simplicity. The weaknesses were: a tiny, noisy, low refrigerator; AC that is not adequate on really hot days; limited storage space; no propane; and uncomfortable seating limited to two people. If, like us, you only camp in developed campgrounds that have electricity, the lack of propane will not be much of a problem - we made do very nicely with an electric frying pan and the microwave.

I can't speak for the 17' Escape, but what we really like about our 21' are the table for four with comfortable benches that you can actually lounge on, storage space that we've never fully utilized, huge refrigerator, and counter space for actually cooking a meal with some level of comfort.

As far as the "quality" goes, I didn't really see much difference in the build itself.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:52 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I personally would not own a trailer without propane. That, plus the fact I don't care for white gelcoat all over the interior. But, the EggCamper does work for some people.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Mel, We've had our current 2010 EggCamper for about 3 years. As far as quality of design, construction and workmanship, we're more than happy for the 3- to 4-day outings we currently take it on. We love the interior height and width, and we're fine with all electric, white gel coat interior, etc., etc. And yes, it does have it's shortcomings with the noisy little refrigerator (but it works great), marginal A/C (but we've never been uncomfortable even here in the deep South), and cramped space in the little 2-person side dinette (one person has little foot room due to the wheel well). Having said all that, we'll soon be up-sizing to a new Escape 21 that we feel will be more comfortable for us on longer outings as we transition into retirement. One thing we're really looking forward to, that others haven't mentioned, is all the waist-high drawers and multi-use cabinets for everyday use items in an Escape. Granted there are a couple closets that can be modified for individual storage requirements in the EggCamper, but much of the built-in storage space in the EggCamper is either above your shoulders or below your knees, and we end up storing things like dinner wear, cooking utensils, boxes of food ingredients and dried foods, etc., in plastic tubs that we stow under the bed (slide under, pull out, slide back under, pull back out, you get the picture). Not a problem for short outings of 3 or 4 days, but it can get tiresome after awhile. We still love our EggCamper for what it is. But we're looking forward to the 21'. Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 EggCamper
I owned a Casita 17SD for two years. Sold it and now own an EggCamper. My good friend has a new 21 Escape. The Casita to me was claustrophobic. But Im 6'5 1/2" tall. The hallway was too narrow. Constant ducking, and couldn't fit in bed.

Enter EggCamper. I LOVE the open space. Even my friend with the 21 Escape comments on the open feeling the EggCamper has vs the Escape. Its huge in our book. BUT - storage - uggggg. The EggCamper is the worse. I plan to remodel it to add better storage in the closets and add a silverware drawer.

The lack of storage is a huge bummer. Enter Escape - we eventually will sell the EggCamper and buy a 5.0TA. We visited one and were surprised how it also felt less spacious than the Egg - mostly because the wall of Bathroom / cabinetry / fridge take up the width. But the storage!!!!!! I think the storage of the Escape wins out over the openness. Never been in a 17 Escape tho.

The lack of propane doesn't bother us as much as we thought it would. We plan to make up for that with better dual 6v and solar. The small fridge was a huge bummer, but then we realized it does actually fit all the food we need! Pleasantly surprised. We keep drinks in a cooler. The fridge rocks - cools awesome.

So they all have their pluses and minuses. My favorite would be the Escape 5.0TA (I need it for headroom), then the EggCamper, then the Casita.
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:42 PM   #10

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I personally would not own a trailer without propane.

I'm with Robert on this... IMO propane is essential even with solar and 6V batteries. Propane is essential for heating and cooking when boondocking. (I love boondocking!)
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:22 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
I'm with Robert on this... IMO propane is essential even with solar and 6V batteries. Propane is essential for heating and cooking when boondocking. (I love boondocking!)
And no generator either!

As for propane, many homes here in South Texas are tucked away in the limestone of the hill country, where gas lines don't run. They typically have a large propane tank on the property that's used for heating, hot water, and for cooking. The propane company comes by periodically to fill the tank. Way cheaper to operate than an all electric home, and I love cooking with gas.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:46 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
Indeed. And after all, she don't lie.

Time to go to bed now...
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, egg, escape