Escape wannabe but undecided re 19 vs 21 - Page 10 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Old 02-21-2016, 06:23 PM   #91
Site Team
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
There is a reason we have campfires and outdoor propane stoves.....BTW, I hear cast iron will work on induction stoves....

never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:27 PM   #92
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Originally Posted by Bear101 View Post
I will enquire, on a related note would anyone consider an induction cooktop insert instead of a propane burner? We have a portable induction cooktop that we take with us in our tent trailer and really like its quick heating and the control for simmering.
I like using an induction cooker, too, for similar reasons. That's what I use in the RV when on shore power, and I suppose if I were running the generator anyway for another purpose I would use it then, too.

... I guess if we ask ETI to install an induction cooktop it would be a full replacement for the gas cooktop. That might be ok, perhaps we would also not install the range hood but instead have an openable window over the sink and an upgraded Maxx fan.
I agree - it seems to be all-or-nothing on the propane cooktop. You could still install a propane cooktop later if you wanted. ETI won't leave an unused propane line, but you can always tee into the propane plumbing as required. I have considered a portable propane stove, plugged into a quick-connect on the counter when required inside - ETI won't install that, but again it could be done.

Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
A lot of stainless steel cookware can be use on the induction cook top, you have to check with the manufacturer of the both the cookware and/or cooktop,
Or just check the cookware itself. The magnet test really is valid. Cast iron will generally work. There are some aluminum pots and pans with a steel plate in the base either to control heat distribution or for induction compatibility.

Several manufacturers make a portable Induction burner but as Kathie points out they need electricity. I understand that they won't run off most inverters.
Perhaps the induction cooker electronics are not happy with the 'modified sine wave' output of many inverters, but there's no reason they wouldn't work fine with a sine wave output inverter of sufficient capacity. I think the real problem with running from an inverter is with battery capacity - it's like running a microwave oven, but even worse because an induction cooker is typically run for a longer period.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:37 PM   #93
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I like propane. You can smell it if you have a leak.
Electricity scares me.

2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote