Escape wannabe but undecided re 19 vs 21 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2016, 06:44 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I don't know how practical it would be to do, but here's a thought. Since you're not sure if you're going to be able to view a 21' near you and I kind of wonder how many owners would let you, your wife and your dog test out the bed in their trailer, you could try this at home.

Pile up a bunch of blankets along one side of your king bed. Measure so the area left to lay down is the same size as the beds in the 19 and 21 (you'll be doing this twice, once for each bed size). Flop down on the bed with the dog and see how it works for sleeping. For the person on the inside for the 19, how easy is it to crawl over the other person and the dog? For the 21, how easy is it to scoot down with the dog near your feet?

Maybe if your dog likes a certain pillow, you could put it on the dinette in either trailer and it'll sleep there, giving you guys more room for sleeping. (Yeah, my cats sleep with me, so I can relate.)

Or, just figure one of you will sleep in the bed and the other on the dinette, made into a bed. and the dog will have a choice of two places to sleep.
Not practical but the thought is great LDLS. We have a variant way to test this, we will sleep on the queen in the spare room and see what Baco does. We can even test this with and without wine.

Bear101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:49 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Barry,
I'm about 9 hours from you here in Pennsylvania, you are welcome to come and lay on the bed for comfort measurements. But do it soon as BlackJack will be going to a new home in less than
30 days. Evertime I show the Escape I always insist that the bed be sat upon to feel the comfort.
I believe Pstyer saw mine at the Niagara Rally this past fall.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That would be the second-generation MDX, presumably corresponding to the second-generation (2009-2015) Pilot. In this generation, it appears that an MDX has a slightly larger engine and more power than a Pilot.

Since additional towing capacity is usually due to reliability-related changes (such as additional transmission cooling capacity), the towing behaviour and performance probably changes little if any with the towing package (but of course you need to stay within your vehicle's limits for reliability).
Will do Brian, interestingly the weight of the 19 is very similar to our current tent trailer and when we tow that with the MDX our gas mileage is reduced by, at most, 1L/100 km. I know wind resistance will be a major difference with the Escape versus a TT but I would not be concerned about the 19. I will check all of the numbers and plan on purchasing a weight distribution hitch.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:12 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Barry,
I'm about 9 hours from you here in Pennsylvania, you are welcome to come and lay on the bed for comfort measurements. But do it soon as BlackJack will be going to a new home in less than
30 days. Evertime I show the Escape I always insist that the bed be sat upon to feel the comfort.
I believe Pstyer saw mine at the Niagara Rally this past fall.
Thank You Jim
This semester is getting busier, I am a University Professor, so I am not sure we will be able to make it in the next 30 days. Honestly we are leaning toward a 21 based on the feed back we have gotten here and the fact that we have been researching this, lying in comparable beds at RV shows, finding stick trailers with some of the Escape attributes to look at etc etc for over a year now. So what are you camping in now that you are giving up the 21 Jim?
Old 02-15-2016, 07:14 PM   #25
Site Team

I'm getting the new Escape TA 5th wheel, 2017 model....
go here for Rally info, the one in late May in Osoyoos,BC is the biggest, not that the others are any less, just a little smaller. http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f17/
Old 02-15-2016, 07:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
There are Pilots here with 4500 towing capacity and people have towed 19's with them. Don't know about 21's. If you have a 5000 rating and you check the other numbers such as GCWR and GVWR, you can see if those numbers work for a 21' with 4600 lbs. allowed for the trailer. We do use a WDH for our 5000 towing capacity TV.
Will do Cathy, thank you. I will assess all the numbers and plan on getting a WDH and if things don't allow us to get a 21 then, well we get the 19, or maybe its time for a new TV : )
Old 02-15-2016, 07:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm getting the new Escape TA 5th wheel, 2017 model....
go here for Rally info, the one in late May in Osoyoos,BC is the biggest, not that the others are any less, just a little smaller. http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f17/
Great endorsement of the products Jim, so you really do like Escape trailers !
Old 02-15-2016, 07:23 PM   #28
Site Team

Yes, I have had close to a dozen trailers over past 10 years and 3 of them have been Escapes.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Since we figured this was a one time major purchase, we drove to Chilliwack to compare all of the models that Escape manufactured. We left thinking it was the 19, but ended up with the 21. Take your time, compare all of the trailers and make the choice that is best for you. Worry about the tow later. Loren
Loren and Cathy
Your point is a very good one but that trip and our timing for a new trailer are difficult to reconcile. We have been researching this for over a year and done many mock comparisons to assess different aspects of the Escape trailers. We are also influenced by the number of individuals who were very diligent and decided on the 21, as you did, and we were leaning that way before I joined the forum. I will run the numbers for my vehicle and see if the 21 can be safely towed by it. If so that may decide it for us. Thank You
Old 02-15-2016, 07:34 PM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear101 View Post
How does one find out about dates and locations of the rallies?
Here's a couple more resources. This first one is a map that's maintained at the CasitaForum, but not just strictly Casita brand rallies. Both of the rallies I host are on it:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...&oe=UTF8&msa=0

And this one is maintained at FiberglassRV, same rules apply:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...c.k-Kz7_9r9FlE

You'll see a number of rallies posted on both maps, but sometimes not.

These maps are constantly changing as rallies are added.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote