Escaping Texas - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-12-2015, 01:15 AM   #21
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Kamloops, British Columbia
Trailer: 21' Escape 2015
Posts: 19
Congrats!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post

My wife and I just purchased a 2009 Escape 19' and will be making the drive up to Chilliwack this June to pick it up. We live in Austin, TX and are in our early 30's. I am a complete novice in RVing and towing. We are super excited to begin our travels! Until a month ago, the whole idea was really just a pipe dream. Cheers!
Congratulations!!! Appreciate your adventurous spirit. Have a safe, enjoyable trip. Keep us posted as to life on the road.
__________________

Escapism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:26 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,576
Congrats on your 19. We just returned to San Antonio this evening after picking ours up in Chilliwack. The Texas Escape Owner's group is getting larger!

As for a tow vehicle, the new Colorado looks like a fine choice to tow the 19. We almost went that way, but there was very little availability when we needed a tow vehicle, and in the end, I must admit, I'm a Ford guy.

The trip from Austin to Chilliwack, by the most direct means, would be about 2250 miles. From San Antonio it was about 25 miles farther. We took a leisurely 5 days to get there, but it could easily be done in 4.
__________________

__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:28 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Daubsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Posts: 241
Hi Robert. I was observing some of your journey with Past Tents. Looks like y'all had a great time. We will be taking almost the exact same route, making a direct line to Chilliwack, exploring the BC area, then heading back down through the PNW.
We are just now starting to plan our expedition, and it's very overwhelming. I would surely welcome any tips on cheap places to hook up and stay for a few nights. Or places off the beaten path. Or places to avoid. You get the idea...
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:42 AM   #24
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 13,659
Daubsy,
Your first towing adventure should be kept close to civilization due to "I did not know I needed one of these...." scenarios. Walmart and Camping World are always a camper's emergency supply house. Off the beaten path can often lead to dead ends.
__________________
Jim
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why………..Mark Twain
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:47 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Daubsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Daubsy,
Your first towing adventure should be kept close to civilization due to "I did not know I needed one of these...." scenarios. Walmart and Camping World are always a camper's emergency supply house. Off the beaten path can often lead to dead ends.
Thats true. Im pretty experienced when it come to camping, but totally new to RVing. I have done some light towing before. But I think the main learning curve for me will be operating and maintaining the trailer holding tanks and electrical supply. I really don't know that much about battery capacity. I do know that I want to boondock for several days without having to hook up to shore power. I am seriously considering installing solar.
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
mk1549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Dothan, Alabama
Trailer: Shopping tv 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
Hi Robert. I was observing some of your journey with Past Tents. Looks like y'all had a great time. We will be taking almost the exact same route, making a direct line to Chilliwack, exploring the BC area, then heading back down through the PNW.
We are just now starting to plan our expedition, and it's very overwhelming. I would surely welcome any tips on cheap places to hook up and stay for a few nights. Or places off the beaten path. Or places to avoid. You get the idea...
Good sam members can spend the night at camping world for free
FYI
mk1549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:59 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Bandera, Texas
Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Posts: 136
Daubsy, make sure you come to the Bluebonnet rally in Bandera starting April 22 (lasting until that Sunday). You should be able to get some good ideas.
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:07 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
mk1549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Dothan, Alabama
Trailer: Shopping tv 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Congrats on your 19. We just returned to San Antonio this evening after picking ours up in Chilliwack. The Texas Escape Owner's group is getting larger!

As for a tow vehicle, the new Colorado looks like a fine choice to tow the 19. We almost went that way, but there was very little availability when we needed a tow vehicle, and in the end, I must admit, I'm a Ford guy.

The trip from Austin to Chilliwack, by the most direct means, would be about 2250 miles. From San Antonio it was about 25 miles farther. We took a leisurely 5 days to get there, but it could easily be done in
So how long was the trip? Loved following your tale you guys sounded like you had a blast.
Marion
mk1549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:26 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1549 View Post
So how long was the trip? Loved following your tale you guys sounded like you had a blast.
Marion

Thanks Marion. I summarized it in the 'Past Tents First Journey' thread.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:03 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Daubsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
Daubsy, make sure you come to the Bluebonnet rally in Bandera starting April 22 (lasting until that Sunday). You should be able to get some good ideas.

What a great opportunity! We don't have a camper yet, but will try and make a day trip out of it. I hear Reace and Tammy will be there too.
__________________

Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.