First camper - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2017, 06:58 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
First camper

We were looking for our first camper when we are across the escapes. We looked at a 2014 21ft locally and liked it better than any of the others we had looked at. After we saw the 21 the owners contacted us and mentioned they may be interested in selling theirs. Wife and I took another look, discussed the price and came to an agreement. The previous owners have graciously volunteered to take us to an RV park local to them and go over the setup, then come back the next day to go over the takedown. That meant a lot to Evie and myself.

So our first camper will be a 2014 Escape 21. Most of the time it will just be the wife and I with the addition of a few grandchildren on occasions. Those of you with 21s have any advice for newbies?

We know there is an issue with the AC unit and I will troubleshoot that when we get it home. I'm retired USAF that now works as a machinist so I have a very good background with tools and mechanical equipment. If the ac needs replacing I will be referring back here for information on brands upgrades.

Snuffy and Evie
Snuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Welcome to the forum and to "Escape World," Snuffy2! My advice - don't get so wrapped up in the mechanics of owning/operating a camper that you forget to have fun. Get out there and enjoy it!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:06 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Welcome to the forum Snuffy. You didn't mention what the A/C problem is but my local RV tech told me many A/C issues can be loose connections on the control board. Sounded like they are spade connectors and they come loose from the trailers vibrations.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:18 PM   #4

Trailer

We picked up the 21 this weekend, spent the night at Blue Angel recreation area, Pensacola. Wife is happy so my job is complete. I'm going to start looking at everything in detail this weekend. Anyway I'll be spending more time here.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
congratulations
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:04 PM   #6

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy2 View Post
Those of you with 21s have any advice for newbies?
Congrats! Glad it worked out for both parties involved.

So, what kind of advice specifically? What to stash away in there thinking you'll need it? What cooking pans to use? What dishes? What bedding? How to level it? How to back it up? How to spiff up the wall behind the sink/stove/counter in the kitchen? Best scrub brush for washing it?

As Alex Trebek says, you need to be more specific.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:01 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Congratulations/Enjoy
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:07 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
So, what kind of advice specifically? What to stash away in there thinking you'll need it? What cooking pans to use? What dishes? What bedding? How to level it? How to back it up? How to spiff up the wall behind the sink/stove/counter in the kitchen? Best scrub brush for washing it?

As Alex Trebek says, you need to be more specific.
I don’t see where specificity is called for in this case. He asked sort of a rhetorical question. I believe that when he wants specific information, he will be specific. He has somewhat implied that what he possibly will be looking for is technical information as to trailer components, systems, and appliances. As far as advice about cooking pans, dishes, spiffing up walls, and other minutiae (and it is minutiae) any advice you, I or anyone else may provide in our desire to be helpful would simply be insignificant personal opinions, as Snuffy and Evie will come to their own conclusions based upon their own likes and dislikes resulting from their own experiences as to what “works” for them. If anything is evident from reading this forum it is that we all have our own unique preferences and opinions most of the time. Just as an example, I do not have any Umbra hooks in my trailer and both I and my spouse fail to see their appeal or their usefulness yet many members here seemingly think they are a necessity.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:10 AM   #9

That's awesome! We gave up trying to find a used Escape, and the 21's are like hen's teeth. Have fun !
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:34 AM   #10

Ok

Yeah it was a pretty generic question. Previous owners gave us a detailed list of things they check and a few checklists for the camper. Only thing I won't compromise on is my Lodge cast iron hibachi.

Right now it needs a good washing, we used to build fiberglass boats and I have fiberglass sailboats so cleaning supplies are already here.

I am curious to the layup schedule before I start a few things. I just sent a e-mail to escape to try to get that information. There is an issue with the AC so I need to know how the roof is constructed. Do I use ladders with boards across them or can I just use support on the inside of the camper. I already have a block and tackle in the overhead of the shed it's under if I have to replace it.

Anyway fixing to leave for church so
Old 12-17-2017, 01:32 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
Regardless of how the roof or body is constructed, the bottom line is that the Escape roof cannot support the weight of a person. You have to stay off it. In fact, I intend to put some of those “no step” stickers I see on airplane wings on the top. So, if I do take my Escape to an RV service center, it is clear that no one is to step on the roof. There are stories on this forum where service guys walked on the roof, cracked the roof, then wouldn’t take responsibility for the damage.
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by jking1224 View Post
Regardless of how the roof or body is constructed, the bottom line is that the Escape roof cannot support the weight of a person. You have to stay off it. In fact, I intend to put some of those “no step” stickers I see on airplane wings on the top. So, if I do take my Escape to an RV service center, it is clear that no one is to step on the roof. There are stories on this forum where service guys walked on the roof, cracked the roof, then wouldn’t take responsibility for the damage.
I have missed that people walked on Escape roofs and cracked them. I don't even lean a ladder against the side but some do. No way we would be on the roof.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy2 View Post
We were looking for our first camper when we are across the escapes. We looked at a 2014 21ft locally and liked it better than any of the others we had looked at. After we saw the 21 the owners contacted us and mentioned they may be interested in selling theirs. Wife and I took another look, discussed the price and came to an agreement. The previous owners have graciously volunteered to take us to an RV park local to them and go over the setup, then come back the next day to go over the takedown. That meant a lot to Evie and myself.

So our first camper will be a 2014 Escape 21. Most of the time it will just be the wife and I with the addition of a few grandchildren on occasions. Those of you with 21s have any advice for newbies?

We know there is an issue with the AC unit and I will troubleshoot that when we get it home. I'm retired USAF that now works as a machinist so I have a very good background with tools and mechanical equipment. If the ac needs replacing I will be referring back here for information on brands upgrades.

Snuffy and Evie
Good luck on your first camper! You will want to make your own checklists for hooking up and unhooking. There is nothing difficult but plenty to know. You will learn it all soon enough. A few times out and you will be in good shape. You can always ask any questions of campground hosts or others as they will know just about anything you could need to know.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote