Garage Door Clearance for 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2018, 08:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
Overall height of an escape 19

The 19 spec sheet shows 8 feet 6 inches as overall height. Does this include the air conditioner, TV antenna or any other optional equipment?

If not, does anyone know the height with the AC and TV antenna?

Thanks
Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
This should help

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...tml#post158942
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Send a message via MSN to earlejk Send a message via Yahoo to earlejk
Garage Door Clearance for 19

Hi Folks. I have a 19 ft Escape on order and I am getting my garage ready. My neighborhood will not allow campers except inside garage, which I have previously modified to admit my 2011 Lil Snoozy. I am fine on width, as the Snoozy was 8'-4", but I am right at 8 ft on the height. The feedback I am getting so far is that I will need 9' for the Escape. If anyone has suggestions it would be appreciated. Has anyone done any "tipping" to get a 19 with AC in a door less than 9 ft? Thanks. Also I will be at Green Eggs N Ham this month, and am hoping there will be some Escapes there.
earlejk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:19 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Plan on 9' 6" minimum with AC. 9 feet isn't going to cut it. I think I recall someone fitting it barely with 9' 3", but don't quote me on that.

The property owners association where I'm currently building a house has similar restrictions. I'm building an RV garage for my 19 with a 12' high door, although 10' would be enough. The standard garage door header height on most houses is way too low.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlejk View Post
Hi Folks. I have a 19 ft Escape on order and I am getting my garage ready. My neighborhood will not allow campers except inside garage, which I have previously modified to admit my 2011 Lil Snoozy. I am fine on width, as the Snoozy was 8'-4", but I am right at 8 ft on the height. The feedback I am getting so far is that I will need 9' for the Escape. If anyone has suggestions it would be appreciated. Has anyone done any "tipping" to get a 19 with AC in a door less than 9 ft? Thanks. Also I will be at Green Eggs N Ham this month, and am hoping there will be some Escapes there.
John, We have a 2017 21' that is 9'1" with A/C. We're going to build a new garage in a year or so, and I've promised myself the door will be 12' wide by 10' high just so I don't have to worry about cutting anything too close. As for the GE&H Rally, I currently show at least two 19's registered (Catoma loop sites 9 and 30). There will also be at least seven 21's, three 5.0/5.0AT's and a 17B that I know of. Will you have your 19 in time, or will you be coming in your Snoozy?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Has anyone done any "tipping" to get a 19 with AC in a door less than 9 ft?
The air conditioner is pretty close the axles (essentially over the trailing axle), so to lower it by tipping that end down isn't useful. Even if tipping helped, the tandem axles don't allow much angle change before putting all of the load on one axle and making the tipping pivot point location worse.

The model which really benefits from axle change is the 5.0, which is tall in front and can "kneel" down to lower the highest point significantly.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Here's a solution from the distant past:
Escape Trailer Owners Community - Cozy Rosie's Album: when the camper is almost too high to fit in the barn...
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Will you have your 19 in time, or will you be coming in your Snoozy?
Thank you so much for the feedback (and for all the kind responses). The completion date of or Escape 19 is July 31, so we will be bringing "Pogo" (2011 Snoozy) to GE&H. We are looking forward to it!
Old 03-02-2018, 06:27 PM   #9

Thanks, that helps, and I'm glad you knew exactly what I meant by "tipping" which is how I currently get the Snoozy in past the MaxxAir dome. I'm certain I can get an inch or two above 9 feet, so hopefully the work to get the new camper garaged won't be too extreme.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I vote for either raising the header on your garage door, or renting RV storage. I can’t imagine how you could get a 19 that needs just over 9 feet through an 8 foot door. We dug the floor out of my brothers barn to get our 19 in there, but that was dirt and the bucket on his tractor made quick work of that.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:01 PM   #11

When we had our Boler I made it so the thick trim board between the garage door and the actual header/beam was removable. This gained me the two inches I required to get the trailer in with stock wheels.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:05 AM   #12

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Quote:
Thanks, that helps, and I'm glad you knew exactly what I meant by "tipping" which is how I currently get the Snoozy in past the MaxxAir dome. I'm certain I can get an inch or two above 9 feet, so hopefully the work to get the new camper garaged won't be too extreme.
I'm sure there are minor variations in individual trailer heights and I don't know about the tv antenna that the OP asked about, but this is the AC on our 2017 19' going into our garage. We have a very flat approach and the door opening is dead on 9'. This was with the tanks empty and just a few things in the camper. Now that I've added weather stripping it fits by maybe 1/4"max. Unfortunately that is all the height we could get without major changes, but it works.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2859.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	29920
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:07 AM   #13
Site Team

Now I'm wondering if there's a height difference between the classic and the 2nd Gen. Ours was a bit taller than that when measured. I think you'd have to add a couple inches to that as well for those with the high lift axle, although that's a rare option. Great info though for those with garage height issues.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:37 AM   #14

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrules View Post
I'm sure there are minor variations in individual trailer heights and I don't know about the tv antenna that the OP asked about, but this is the AC on our 2017 19' going into our garage. We have a very flat approach and the door opening is dead on 9'.
The post I linked to in post #2 of this thread has the jack antenna 3” below the A/C on a 2017 19’. He has the A/C right at 9’.
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:12 AM   #15

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
I vote for either raising the header on your garage door, or renting RV storage. I can’t imagine how you could get a 19 that needs just over 9 feet through an 8 foot door. We dug the floor out of my brothers barn to get our 19 in there, but that was dirt and the bucket on his tractor made quick work of that.
Remember when you consider raising the door- you have to have room for the door opener, too. I can't get my 15 into an 8 foot door and am going to replace the doors with carriage doors (no opener) so to make full use of the interior height (it will be about 9'.) I considered options to store inside but I really want to be able to routinely park inside when I'm not using it.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:41 AM   #16

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrules View Post
I'm sure there are minor variations in individual trailer heights and I don't know about the tv antenna that the OP asked about, but this is the AC on our 2017 19' going into our garage. We have a very flat approach and the door opening is dead on 9'. This was with the tanks empty and just a few things in the camper. Now that I've added weather stripping it fits by maybe 1/4"max. Unfortunately that is all the height we could get without major changes, but it works.

Attachment 29920
Man, that is close. I would defiantly let some air out of my tires before I went through that doorway. Really great that you could get it inside.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:53 PM   #17

and the door opening is dead on 9'.

Thank you so much, and to all for taking interest. This gives me confidence that I can get the header clearance I will need without extreme engineering. I will shoot for getting a bit over 9 ft. The wife keeps asking "are you sure it will go through the door?" ;-]
Old 03-03-2018, 06:56 PM   #18

Trailer: 2016 19'
My 2016 classic 19 was just measured (along with detailed weighing) and the highest point (AC unit) measured at 9'3".
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:52 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne H View Post
My 2016 classic 19 was just measured (along with detailed weighing) and the highest point (AC unit) measured at 9'3".
See, this is what I mentioned earlier. I've seen that figure before. Our classic 2015 19 comes in at just barely under 9'3" as well. We don't have the high lift axle either, just stock. I can't imagine what the other variables would be to get a difference of 3" in height between similar 19's.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:34 PM   #20

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Quote:
and the door opening is dead on 9'.

Thank you so much, and to all for taking interest. This gives me confidence that I can get the header clearance I will need without extreme engineering. I will shoot for getting a bit over 9 ft. The wife keeps asking "are you sure it will go through the door?" ;-]
Keep in mind what Donna says. YMMV. The best idea is still to verify the height with Escape.
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote