Gettin Ready - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2016, 10:25 AM   #1

Trailer: 2000 Honda TRX 300
Gettin Ready

Hello All,
New member here. Retiring this fall. Taking Delivery of the
TV this Friday, a 2016 F-250 Super Cab gas. Looking to try
to get a 21 if possible. Want the back of the truck for my ATV
so no 5.0.

Have learned quite a bit by hanging out and reading. Still need
to gain the correct knowledge of how to get 4 liters of O2 / min.
to the wife's lung(singular) all night long to make this all work.

Wanted to ask Reese, or anyone, if they had ever installed recessed "D" ring tie points in the out board corners of the flooring. They put them in toy haulers as anchor points.
I was thinking that a Large Air Concentrator or Oxygen tank
could be strapped down with such an item and prevent movement of same while portaging. If located near the corners of the flooring, It would not be too bad of a tripping hazard. Would need to be integral to the frame.

Anyhow, good day from Central Wyoming. I have made contacts with the 2 other Wyoming owners and look forward to taking a tour of their rigs when possible in the near future.
1vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:36 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Dave,
These trailers are 2 piece solid fiberglass with the floor inside and frame outside. I do not foresee the ability to cut a hole and attach some sort of tie point to the frame for an oxygen tank, at least from the factory. What you do after taking ownership is up to you.
Several members have solar and dual 6 volts to handle the sleep machines some need. This can easily be done by the factory.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:36 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Welcome! And knowing the expertise available on this forum, I'm sure you'll get this all figured out to your satisfaction.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Dave,
These trailers are 2 piece solid fiberglass with the floor inside and frame outside. I do not foresee the ability to cut a hole and attach some sort of tie point to the frame for an oxygen tank, at least from the factory. What you do after taking ownership is up to you.
Several members have solar and dual 6 volts to handle the sleep machines some need. This can easily be done by the factory.
Thank you cpaharley for your reply. I get the construction,
but IMO the fiberglass has to be affixed to the frame somehow?

and 4 liters a minute is a steep oxygen demand and it must be without
fail.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:52 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
The fiberglass shell, including the underside, sits on the frame. There is a bonded in layer of 5/8" plywood serving as a subfloor. Through bolts bolt to the frame. It wouldn't be difficult to retro-fit through bolt anchors if ETI can't do it as part of the build.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The fiberglass shell, including the underside, sits on the frame. There is a bonded in layer of 5/8" plywood serving as a subfloor. Through bolts bolt to the frame. It wouldn't be difficult to retro-fit through bolt anchors if ETI can't do it as part of the build.

Ron
That is what I was thinking Ron. And I was hoping for a nominal fee that ETI could accommodate. It would provide a great serviceable tool for securing some items while in transport using ratcheting tie straps.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:57 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Good luck with all of that.

I've solved a lot of those issues for my wife; but the device she uses maxes out at 3 lpm continuous flow. The larger bottle filling machines that are provided by our insurer are huge, loud, and taxed the capability of a 2800w generator. Being dependant on 110v at every campsite exceeded my risk tolerance. Carrying a large quantity of O2 bottles was even worse.

If 3 lpm will do, I'd highly recommend a Sequal Equinox. It's pricey; but has been tested in Iraq & Afghanistan and runs natively on 12v. Fully charged 2x6v batteries will run it all night (at 2 lpm).
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturski View Post
Good luck with all of that.

I've solved a lot of those issues for my wife; but the device she uses maxes out at 3 lpm continuous flow. The larger bottle filling machines that are provided by our insurer are huge, loud, and taxed the capability of a 2800w generator. Being dependant on 110v at every campsite exceeded my risk tolerance. Carrying a large quantity of O2 bottles was even worse.

If 3 lpm will do, I'd highly recommend a Sequal Equinox. It's pricey; but has been tested in Iraq & Afghanistan and runs natively on 12v. Fully charged 2x6v batteries will run it all night (at 2 lpm).
Thank you Sturski, I read your postings about the same in the forum and that really clarifies what you said. We will need to
approach her medical care provider about the quantity.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1vertical View Post
Thank you Sturski, I read your postings about the same in the forum and that really clarifies what you said. We will need to
approach her medical care provider about the quantity.
Thinking even a couple e trak rails would get er done.
not my photos so hence the link...but either would anchor stuff in place while portaging.
Vintage Trailers Racing Trailers
Old 01-11-2016, 01:08 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Although Escape has attached the body to the frame with long bolts all the way through the frame (specifically at the front), they have switched most (perhaps all) body bolts to going through the floor and a bracket welded to the frame, or a frame crossmember. You could ask for extra brackets in suitable places, or just locate the crossmembers and drill your own holes to go through them.

I would suggest removing the factory-installed body-mounting bolts and putting them back in with a tie-down added, but I assume they're all hidden in cabinets.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Also, unless ETI did the installation of tie downs beforehand, it almost goes without saying that you would not want to get the under trailer insulation.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:50 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
In the 19" Escape there are a couple of bolts accessible under the bed, but trying to rig tie downs seems implausible under there. Otherwise the rest are inaccessible. Perhaps some sort of wooden storage box in the truck bed maybe better.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:54 PM   #13

Thank you for chiming in folks. I had hopes that the ETI propensity to customize some things would shine through,
and that this innovation would be welcomed as a good addition
to the trailer. It could be used for securing many things
during a portage not just oxygen supplies.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:53 AM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1vertical View Post
I had hopes that the ETI propensity to customize some things would shine through, and that this innovation would be welcomed as a good addition to the trailer.
It might still be. The body bolts are hidden in cabinets intentionally, but exposed locations are available, especially if using crossmembers (rather than the main frame rails, which may be far enough apart that they're entirely under cabinets other than in the doorway).

One challenge is that recessed tie-downs would usually need more thickness - usually twice as much - than is available in the Escape floor. In a quick search I find one which is shallower, but it isn't the nicest thing to have exposed in the trailer interior: Recessed Pan D-Ring M-15P. Although "light duty", it looks like it would be more than strong enough for the intended purpose. Something like this might be okay if covered by a removable mat while not in motion.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It might still be. The body bolts are hidden in cabinets intentionally, but exposed locations are available, especially if using crossmembers (rather than the main frame rails, which may be far enough apart that they're entirely under cabinets other than in the doorway).

One challenge is that recessed tie-downs would usually need more thickness - usually twice as much - than is available in the Escape floor. In a quick search I find one which is shallower, but it isn't the nicest thing to have exposed in the trailer interior: Recessed Pan D-Ring M-15P. Although "light duty", it looks like it would be more than strong enough for the intended purpose. Something like this might be okay if covered by a removable mat while not in motion.
although not real aesthetic, that would fit into the plywood yes.
If you were going to mount to a frame or cross member, you could perhaps go thicker. And if It were hard against the outside
corners of the floor, out of the walk way. IMO you seldom
place your feet that close to the wall and would tend to walk
down the middle of the path.