Greetings from Nanaimo - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2018, 08:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B
Greetings from Nanaimo

Although I joined the forum in April I have lurked for some time and have looked at ETI's webpage for the past couple of years. I never felt compelled to introduce myself because up until today I did not own an Escape trailer. The wife and I had planned to visit ETI this August to get a close look at the trailers for our future retirement. Plans changed quickly when a 2005 17B popped up for sale in Courtenay on Thursday. As they say, timing is everything and I ended up at the head of the queue. My wife and I drove up Friday after work, met the owners, looked at the trailer and made the deal. We paid the balance and picked it up today.

I want to thank the previous owner Gil for honoring our deal even when there was pressure placed on him to make alternative ones.

We are tent campers and this is a huge step up both in comfort and learning to use the trailer. I have been very happy reading the posts in the forum on supplying assistance and suggestions to fellow owners when the questions have been asked. I have also enjoyed reading the personal modifications that have been made to all the Escape models. I look forward to further interaction with fellow owners and forum members.

My nick name comes from my long involvement with 4 wheel drives. I have pretty much owned one since I was 16. I have raced them, rallied them, and camped deep in the woods with them. I still own a Dakota 4x4 but it's pretty tame compared to the 4x4s from my past (mostly Fords) and we don't drive down the trails we once did. We use it mostly to get to hard Geocaches. (Geocaching is a hobby that involves computers, GPS or smart phone and the American GPS satellites)

Rock crawling is a form of extreme 4 wheeling that I have done in the past. Think of a forest service road where water has run down it for some time taking most of the road bed with it leaving only boulders and rocks behind. Hard to even walk up let alone drive up. But if you build a 4x4 the right way, you can drive it without damaging the vehicle or the environment and I did just that for over 10 years. Ever since then I use BC Rockcrawler on many forums and user groups.

Rory
Old 06-18-2018, 08:08 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Welcome to Escape ownership. Enjoyed reading of your 4x4 interests and skills.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Welcome to Escape ownership. Enjoyed reading of your 4x4 interests and skills.

Thank you.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Saw it for sale and it looks like a really nice trailer. Enjoy it and don’t hesitate to ask any questions as you learn the systems.

Fun hearing about your rockcrawling experience. I fooled around building up some lifted Jeeps many years back but nothing to the caliber you are speaking of.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Saw it for sale and it looks like a really nice trailer. Enjoy it and don’t hesitate to ask any questions as you learn the systems.

Fun hearing about your rockcrawling experience. I fooled around building up some lifted Jeeps many years back but nothing to the caliber you are speaking of.

Thanks. My rockcrawling days pretty much ended when our boy started racing BMX. Those bikes look small and cheap but when the kid got good and we started traveling through BC, Alberta and Washington State, the 4x4 budget became the BMX budget. I did hang onto my last built 4x4 long enough for my kid to drive it...
Old 06-18-2018, 11:13 PM   #6

Trailer: August 2017 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Rockcrawler View Post
Although I joined the forum in April I have lurked for some time and have looked at ETI's webpage for the past couple of years.
I LOVE the Nanaimo Bike Trail (and the Blue Goose)! Hope you enjoy your 17B as much as I do mine!
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:35 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
It sure is quite the step up! A bed, a toilet, running water, a furnace, a dining area, a counter, a fridge, a stove, windows to look outside, and a real door you can close. You gonna feel like staying in a palace!!
Enjoy!!!
Old 06-19-2018, 08:58 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Welcome to the club. I'm no rock crawler but when I got my 4x4 truck I thought I might try it. Started out at Quartzsite, thinking to drive it up the mountain there. But the gullies were so sharp I quit early when the rubber front skirt got nearly scraped off. Then, on the dirt road beside the notorious Animas river stream, deep into an old mining area in Colorado I had the foresight to first chat with a ranger about it and he said if I tried going any further on that road it would knock my running boards right off. That about ended any more thoughts of rock crawling with a Silverado. (No, wasn't towing E19 those times.)
Attached Thumbnails
AnimasR.jpg