greetings from Victoria BC - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2018, 12:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 21
greetings from Victoria BC

Hello. it's John from Victoria I took delivery of my new Escape 21 last October, but just drove it to Victoria. about 180 km. Now its time to start using it. I'm planning a trip to the Yukon and up the dempster highway all the way to Tukyoyaktuk, this summer, so I'm looking forward to learning and sharing information about what's needed for this trip. There will be about 2000 km of gravel/rock on the Dempster highway portion. I pulling it with a Toyota Tacoma (2015 full cab 4wd).
jascah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:40 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Welcome to the forum John. We have considered doing a trip similar to the one you are planning and will be eager to hear of your adventures. Meanwhile, enjoy getting to know your Escape. We love ours.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:50 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by jascah View Post
Hello. it's John from Victoria I took delivery of my new Escape 21 last October, but just drove it to Victoria. about 180 km. Now its time to start using it. I'm planning a trip to the Yukon and up the dempster highway all the way to Tukyoyaktuk, this summer, so I'm looking forward to learning and sharing information about what's needed for this trip. There will be about 2000 km of gravel/rock on the Dempster highway portion. I pulling it with a Toyota Tacoma (2015 full cab 4wd).
Welcome John from Victoria! Sounds like you are all set for some fun times. A few words of caution. I grew up on the prairies where there are many gravel roads in the countryside. Over the years I have noticed that any extended driving on gravel roads is very hard on the paint on a vehicle, I wore most of the paint off the lower panels on a previous nearly new car of mine with less than 50km of driving on a loose gravel road. Since purchasing my Escape, I have tried to minimize the duration and speed of any trips that I have taken that have involved travelling on gravel roads, as I have been concerned with keeping the gel coat in a good condition. However, even taking care, there are a few rock bruises on the front of my Escape that detract from its previous perfect finish. I suspect that if you were to travel 2000km on gravel/rock on the Dempster Hwy (as you stated), you will end up with some damage to your trailer, which you may potentially regret.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
Greetings jascah! Great to hear that there is another Escape owner in Victoria! Even though we haven’t had a formal rally yet please add yourself to the “Vancouver Island” group.
Cheers!
Old 04-26-2018, 11:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
It was the early 1980's. I'm sitting at the Mackenzie River ferry crossing on the Dempster Highway in my early vintage Toyota pickup. I'd asked my travelling companion to check the right rear tire as it had been showing signs of going flat, something for which this particular highway had a bad reputation. "Looks OK" she says. "Can you expand on that?" "Well, looks the same as the other one." .... Light bulb goes on in my head ..... "What do you mean looks the same!!!" Yesirree, both tires were going flat! Only one spare.

I'll save you the rest of the details, except to say it was an adventure. Oh, also had my wallet stolen from my tent in Inuvik ... while I was sleeping in it. Land of the midnight sun and midnight thieves.

The Dempster was awesome and I'd love to do it again. But unless the surfacing has been upgraded I would not recommend taking a beautiful Escape on it.

Two by the ways:

First, I'm also from Victoria and will be picking up my new 17B in June. Looks to be an exciting year for both of us Victorians! We'll have to get together sometime and gripe about ferry fares.

The other one is a big thank you to many members of this forum. This is my first post but I lurked here for a long time while working on my build sheet and learned an awful lot. Never had a trailer before so leaning on the knowledge and advice of forum members to others was a HUGE help. Again, thanks.
Lawrence A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:13 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Larry, are you planning to drop in at the Osoyoos rally? Even though you won't have your 17B by then, you could meet some folks and see some trailers. Check with the office about coming to the pot luck!
Old 04-26-2018, 11:13 AM   #7

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
Congrats LarryLogger! What a great morning this has been! Now when I drive around town I hope to not run off the road with excitement from seeing more Escapes! To be able to store our trailer on our driveway was one of our most important deal breakers before purchasing!
Old 04-26-2018, 02:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Larry, are you planning to drop in at the Osoyoos rally? Even though you won't have your 17B by then, you could meet some folks and see some trailers. Check with the office about coming to the pot luck!
Not this year, but maybe next if it's held close enough. Thanks for the invite, though.

"Congrats LarryLogger! What a great morning this has been! Now when I drive around town I hope to not run off the road with excitement from seeing more Escapes! To be able to store our trailer on our driveway was one of our most important deal breakers before purchasing!"

Being able to get mine down the driveway was also a big factor for me. I live in Oak Bay and parking rv's in the front driveway is a no-no. I would have loved to get a 19 but can only get a 17 to the back. The rounded shoulder of the Escape really helps me squeeze it under the house eaves. I'll keep my eye out for you folks as well.
Lawrence A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21
Thanks for the welcome. Ive been off the forum for awhile.
Just finished my first voyage for three days. Escape is working well
jascah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Doing the math before heading north

Welcome jascah! It's great to have another Escape 21 on Vancouver Island.

When we drove to Inuvik without a trailer in 1982, we took the BC ferry from Port McNeil to Prince Rupert, then drove the Stewart-Cassiar highway up to join the Alaska Highway. Coming back, we took the Alaska ferry from Skagway to Rupert, then the BC ferry back to Vancouver Island.

It was great to have less driving to do on such a long trip, especially through parts of BC that we already know well. At today's spectacular gas prices, it might be worth comparing the cost of the ferries with trailer in tow versus driving all the way through BC to the Alaska Highway and all the way back.

The stars of the show will be the Dempster and Tuk highways, and you might appreciate them more if driving fatigue doesn't set in, which it might if you tow all the way.

You could also drive the whole route one way, and take the Alaska and BC ferries on the way back to the Island.

Happy travels on whatever route you choose. I hope you'll post your impressions of the trip here.