Hello from Fraser Valley - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Old 07-13-2015, 03:06 PM   #1
Trailer: looking to buy
Talking Hello from Fraser Valley

I recently lost my husband. I would like to know if it is safe or wise to buy a small trailer and travel by myself in this day and age or would it be better for me just to spend the money on hotels/motels. Does anyone have any advice? I am 60 and not very agile. It takes me a while to get off the floor/ground if I have to do things and sometimes walk with a cane if the ground is uneven or rough for stability.

My family used to have a trailer when I was young but sold it and I always wanted to have one again. Now that my husband is gone, I would like to do some traveling, thus my question.

Thanks for listening,

onmyown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
Trailer: 17b
I have a friend who could've written your post, except she's older by a few years. She has to walk with a cane and can't get up very easily if down. Yet she doesn't let that stop her. She has an Escape 15 and takes it all over the place and usually boondocks (doesn't stay in RV parks etc.). She has a dog which helps her feel safe.

I think it would depend on how much you travel and where you like to go. If you prefer cities, maybe go the motel route. If not and you travel enough to justify the cost, don't let your age or physical condition stop you - you can do it. You could get an electric jack and a rear-view camera to make the hooking up easier.

Escape While You Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:25 PM   #3
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I think you should give it a go, if this is a desire of yours. Be it one year, or 20 years, it can still be worth it. You will always be able to sell with little loss of capitol. My great aunt did just this, pulling a small 4th wheel after my uncle died. She was 65, and continued to do this for 20 years and only stopped when her eyesight started to fail. By the way, she is still living on her own, legally blind with macular degeneration, and will turn 95 shortly.

I would not worry too much about safety, but would still take all the measures to ensure you are safe as possible.
2017 Escape 5.0 TA (someday soon, I hope )
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:36 PM   #4
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
I think most of us are 60 more or less and not so agile anymore. Getting a trailer probably depends on how self sufficient you are. You have to be able to drive the rig, hook/unhook, and setup the trailer, by yourself. None of which is hard to learn or do.

Think if I was a single women I'd look at something I could just drive away in if I got worried, like a class B or small C.
Happy Motoring
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:43 PM   #5
Commercial Member
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Lots of single women camping out there, and several organized groups. A lady in this group bought my Castia 17 footer and loves the camaraderie:

Outdoor Adventure Group for Women | Sisters on the Fly
Charlie Y

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:47 PM   #6
Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016... 2016 Escape 19.
Hi Truly...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. But it's wonderful to see you looking forward and thinking of new adventures!

I think you could safely camp in reputable campgrounds. KOA campgrounds are generally pretty good. I prefer camping in state/national parks, when available... but these might be more secluded than you might like. You'd have to give it a try to see how it feels to you.

I find towing a small trailer pretty comfortable, especially with a good hitch (we have an Equal-I-zer and it works great for us).

Someone suggested a rear camera to help in hooking the tow vehicle to the trailer. We have a rear camera on our tow vehicle and it helps a lot.

There are some women on this forum who camp alone. I'll bet some of them will chime in.

Good luck... and happy trails!!

sallemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:57 PM   #7
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
My suggestion is to grab life by the horns and get out there.

Ain't nothing wrong with hotels, and it is great to have a "room of your own". For me, I find I tend to stick close to the hotel when not travelling, so it limits my exploring/meeting the locals.

RVer's tend to have more interaction with people. Most will help you if you ask and some even even if you don't ask. I find I'm more "out in nature" with the RV than before, yes even the rain in Hope can't keep me inside.

Personally, I'd suggest a rental of a smaller class C/B to get a feel for it. Thor Axis is a very interesting class A at about 26 feet long, along with the various Pleasureways (Saskatchewan) and Leisure Vans (Winnipeg). *** note, not suggesting a stickie is the best option for Wet Coasters.***

Also, have a visit to the ETI factory in Chilliwack so you can sit/touch/dream in a demo trailer.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:24 PM   #8
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Hi there,

I'm 73 and my very first RV will be ready October 14th. The members of this Forum have been incredibly supportive - as you can tell by the posts made so far in response to your question. So if you decide to go for it, know that there will be those on this Forum to be there every step of the way for you.

I love what BCnoman said: "grab life by the horns and get out there."
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
–– C.S. Lewis
EDarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:43 PM   #9
Trailer: 17ft B Escape "lark"
I am a 59 year old woman and camp alone with two dogs. I'm not afraid in camp grounds but I worry getting stuck on the road somewhere getting good road side assistance is good for peace of mind. It's a bit of work hitching up but I don't have as easy set up as some have. The 5th wheel looks easier to hitch up I don't have one but others can comment that have hooked up both. Camping makes me feel free and independent. I'm heading for cannon beach soon kind of a resort type camping spot a lot cheaper the a room this time of year - over 300 a night.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:18 PM   #10
Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I think that the folks you meet in campgrounds are a pretty good bunch and most would probably jump right in to help if someone needs a hand. I know I would. Go for that trailer. Time's a wasting. Loren

Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote