Hello from New Hampshire - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2014, 05:46 AM   #21

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Got up to use the head, sometimes the mind won't let me go back to sleep. Reading a bit takes care of it.

Just remembered I had read somewhere that they were now standard, a search turned up that thread.

Guess I should stick to reading at 2:30 and not writing.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:32 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Got up to use the head, sometimes the mind won't let me go back to sleep. Reading a bit takes care of it.

Just remembered I had read somewhere that they were now standard, a search turned up that thread.

Guess I should stick to reading at 2:30 and not writing.
Hi: padlin... You're not alone at that time!!! I usually do my best thinking then... Fuzzy& Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:18 AM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
I've done a little researching on E-Z lube and seems the mistake most people make when adding grease is not lifting the trailer off the ground and rotating the wheel as your adding grease. And that method is also listed in dexters owners manual.

The fact that trailer axle companies don't make the axle bearings sealed like automobiles has always bugged me, Sure keeps the RV dealerships busy.

My reasoning for eliminating the front and rear windows is to reduce condensation build up in the areas we will sleep and also two less windows means two less potential water leaks.

I appreciate all the responses, thank you all!
Slickheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:41 AM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickheadhunter View Post
My reasoning for eliminating the front and rear windows is to reduce condensation build up in the areas we will sleep and also two less windows means two less potential water leaks.
You should do what you want to do, but IMHO eliminating windows is bad idea. It's one of the big reasons I've never cared for the EggCamper. No front or rear windows.

When you're in a confined space, adding natural light seems to add to the space. Condensation isn't a big deal and can be dealt with. There's plenty of other places besides these two windows that will be maintenance issues to keep water out. What's two more? The trade off of windows versus possible leaks is a no brainer for me. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I agree with Donna, I just love as much natural light as possible. There are no worries about leaks at all. There is a bit of condensation on those windows on cold nights, but not too bad. Only a couple times have I been inclined to wipe them, most of the time it just evaporates away once the sun comes up, or we turn the heat up. They are also the two windows we do the most looking out of as well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:16 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The E-Z Lube feature doesn't appear to be in the options list, which is surprising since I've read several references to ordering it, and even one post quoting Reace:

It also doesn't appear in the standard features list, although some members have referred to this feature as "stock".

E-Z Lube seems of little if any value to me, since I don't use a travel trailer as a boat (E-Z Lube is for flushing contaminated grease from bearings that have been submerged in water), but it's cheap and it's harmless if it is not used.

Since the body wraps right under the floor, that would boost the floor level up two inches and change the fit of all of the interior parts. I think it would be a nice feature, but one that would need to be designed in.
Brian,
I was thinking the floor still sitting on its seating place and just have the insulation board butt up against it so the floor would still be the same height.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:19 AM   #27

Donna &Jim,
You have a good point, I think I would miss not having the windows. I guess I'm paranoid when it comes to water leaks, I've had some terrible experiences with that in past trailers.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:22 AM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Also, has anyone ever ordered there trailer without the front and rear window?
Another vote for keeping the windows. I would add even more windows if I could. Small trailer with lots of windows = feels like big trailer. Leak potential is small and by all accounts the insulated windows do a good job preventing condensation.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:33 AM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Also, has anyone ever ordered there trailer without the front and rear window?
I wouldn't give up any of the windows in my little 15A. I've actually felt somewhat claustrophobic (and I'm really not) in the larger Escape models that have few windows. During the day I can see the whole world outside.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
With Escape's build process, any leak around a window will collect underneath where a built in pontoon allows the water to drain out without impact on the fiberglass encased floor. The spray foam option underneath not only protects the tanks and floor, but also the frame from the elements.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:57 AM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
With Escape's build process, any leak around a window will collect underneath where a built in pontoon allows the water to drain out without impact on the fiberglass encased floor. The spray foam option underneath not only protects the tanks and floor, but also the frame from the elements.
Excellent post. When you see how they're built, most of the common concerns go away.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:04 AM   #32

i have my truck sprayed with this stuff called fluid film and it keeps the underside free from rust, it works very well. The other thing that has just occurred to me is fiberglass damage caused by bouncing rocks and other debris to the underbelly of the trailer, the foam would no doubt prevent that from happening.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:25 PM   #33

I had my misgivings on the spray foam when I was ordering for the same reason you are thinking about it, lack of access. In the end I went with it for the insulation value. 6 months later I still have my misgivings, would have liked to have access to the tanks to change over the sensors to something better but it's too late now. May be warmer on the floor, hard to tell though as we use area rugs. Does give you some piece of mind when it drops below freezing at night though. Kind of a toss up. On the windows, I wouldn't give up the back window I have (dinette area), if they had a rear panorama window option I would have taken it. I do know where you're coming from though after replacing the floor in my last trailer.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:52 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
When I visited ETI last month Crystal told me the spray foam could be added at a later date. As for windows, for me the more the better. Heck, if the roof could be all window, (and not leak), I'd be a happy camper.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:38 PM   #35

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Brian,
I was thinking the floor still sitting on its seating place and just have the insulation board butt up against it so the floor would still be the same height.
Jim has provided more detail, but the key point is that the bottom of the trailer is the fiberglass shell - not plywood - so if you are adding below the plywood you are adding on the outside, and not directly against the plywood.

I think adding foam board insulation against any bare flat area makes sense, but that won't be much area, after allowing for the frame, tanks, and non-flat body areas.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #36

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
But, also, that thread has one post that says EZs are now standard. Do we know that is true? Anybody?

My trailer came "Bike rack ready", but I didn't order it that way. And, it's still not standard. I just didn't have to pay for it because I didn't order it.
This is why I avoided trying to determine the actual status of the E-Z Lube feature, and just reported observations. For anyone currently in the ordering process and interested in E-Z Lube, I suggest checking directly with ETI and encouraging them to update either the Feature list (if standard) or the Option list (if optionally available), as appropriate.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:52 PM   #37

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 sold, 21NE on order
We ordered E-Z Lube axles for our '19'. When it came to signing off our final build sheet, ETI dropped the total $100 because the axles are now standard.

Jack
bouterse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:58 PM   #38

Thanks for the replys!
Jack,
Thanks for the info, I will ask to be sure but sounds like there's no need for that option.

My wife and son are very excited about the coming trailer, which makes me happy, it's going to be a long wait!
Old 12-15-2014, 01:01 AM   #39

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Last time I camped cold but not freezing my sheets felt cold and clammy I ran electric heat but never really lost that damp clammy feel any suggestions ?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:22 AM   #40

See post #8 in the condensation thread.