Hello! Retiring in a couple of years - seeking the "right" TT. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2015, 01:54 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21NE (our third Escape)
Hello! Retiring in a couple of years - seeking the "right" TT.

Hello! We are seeking a fiberglass TT for that epic road trip two new retiree's could take. We have a couple of years to find the "right" TT and I *think* it could be the Escape 5.0. One key requirement is a true queen (60x80) or bigger bed. I looked at a 2008 Scamp 19 and the bed is a might small. I'm also considering a Casita Liberty, the King bed is HUGE but it's overall a wee bit small. I'm concerned about the long term resale of an Olliver, but they are in my backyard ($45k USD - YIKES!) he new Escape 5.0 seems right. Are the older single axle trainers the same size? I'm not opposed to buying new and the pick it up road trip would be epic.

Your thoughts, ideas and real world experience would be welcome. Ready? Go!
Richard in Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Georgia View Post
Hello! We are seeking a fiberglass TT for that epic road trip two new retiree's could take. We have a couple of years to find the "right" TT and I *think* it could be the Escape 5.0. One key requirement is a true queen (60x80) or bigger bed. I looked at a 2008 Scamp 19 and the bed is a might small. I'm also considering a Casita Liberty, the King bed is HUGE but it's overall a wee bit small. I'm concerned about the long term resale of an Olliver, but they are in my backyard ($45k USD - YIKES!) he new Escape 5.0 seems right. Are the older single axle trainers the same size? I'm not opposed to buying new and the pick it up road trip would be epic.

Your thoughts, ideas and real world experience would be welcome. Ready? Go!
Hi: Richard in Georgia... We have owned both a 5.0, and now a 5.0TA. The 5.0 used an RV 60X76" Queen mattress. The 5.0TA uses a full 60X80" Queen mattress. There's also more room beside the bed to put stuff. Excuse the self portrait in the 5.0 pic. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030666.jpg   P1020612.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:29 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The 5.0TA is a bigger version of the 5.0 a bigger loft, bigger kitchen area, more storage, double-axle, wider, taller and heavier. But what's not to like! I'm retiring also in a couple of years, but bought sooner so I could get used to the trailer and make modifications for longer-term travels.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 03:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The current 5.0TA is indeed bigger than the original 5.0, and I think the most significant dimensional difference is eight inches of extra width. That provides the extra space beside the bed which Alf mentioned, and more elbow room in general. The extra four inches of bed length indicates that there is more interior length available as well.

The extra body size, the extra cabinetry filling it, and the extra axle of a heavier design all add up to a significant weight difference between the two generations. The intent of the design change was to size the trailer to better suit current trucks, which are larger and (most importantly) taller than compact trucks were when the original 5.0 was designed.

If you choose the 5.0TA and can't find one used by the time orders open next spring, you could order and have a new one just in time to get a "shakedown" trip in just before the big adventure starts.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:24 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If you get that far, keep in mind there is a year wait on a new one, 2016 is booked.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Welcome, Richard!
The previous 5.0 is an extension of a 17' while the present one is an extension of the 21', so there is big difference between them. The extra space and weight on the present model call for the tandem axles. You should be able to see one or both models in your region by asking Escape Trailer to give you owners to visit.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Richard in Georgia... We have owned both a 5.0, and now a 5.0TA. The 5.0 used an RV 60X76" Queen mattress. The 5.0TA uses a full 60X80" Queen mattress. There's also more room beside the bed to put stuff. Excuse the self portrait in the 5.0 pic. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Alf, don't know if I would recognize you but by now I would recognize your feet anywhere!!
Old 12-05-2015, 05:49 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Alf
A man after my own heart. At the end of the day, Let them dogs run!
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:24 PM   #9

wowzers! - this is a great comp- thank you!
Old 12-05-2015, 06:26 PM   #10

I have the price list - I need suggestions with the options. AC is a gotta have down south. What else?
Old 12-05-2015, 06:53 PM   #11

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Let's see, you live in GA, so order everything but heat pads. Just add $5k to the base and you'll be close.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:01 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
Also, if you decide to buy new and get on the schedule for 2017, you will have a little time to agonize over options, and it's pretty much a requirement to embrace the agony.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:05 PM   #13

Quote:
I have the price list - I need suggestions with the options. AC is a gotta have down south. What else?
If you have not camped before, no telling what you will need. Many options are based on whether you will be at campgrounds with hookups or be boondocking with none. You have to guess where you will be.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:13 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Richard, it really depends on your camping style but I would get the surge suppressor and solar panel along with A/C as a minimum. I was up in Blairsville a month ago with my 5.0TA. Had I known, I could have made a stop in Kennesaw so you could see it. I would be happy to chat with you about options. PM me your phone number and a good time to call if you would like to talk.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:53 PM   #15

Escape Artist - nice sox. Thanks for the pix
Donna D - a bigger small TT. Is that an oxymoron?
Brian BP - Over the last few years I've gotten bigger and wider too
padlin: I have time, but not patience.
Floating Cloud: Good visual
Padlin - the $5k estimate is what I was trying to figure - ballpark $35k CDN?
Drpaddle - sounds like you know me. I'd obsess for 18 months
Floating cloud. We've car camped with kids, backpacked, pop uped - most everything except a TT ... the things that worry me is stuff like - do I need an inverter - what IS an inverter?
C&D - I will take you up on that next week.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:58 PM   #16

ok - since I'm obsessing ...I found a loaded 2011 for $25k USD. (he has the winter windows and extra insulation) The owner traded up to the new version. I kinda like the lightness. of the single axle and I don't have to drive to the North Pole and back, obsess for a year and save about $8k - your thoughts?

Also I looked at a Scamp 19. 2008 for $15k - it's an hour away, but the bed is too small. You all are biased, but how do they compare?
Old 12-05-2015, 08:10 PM   #17

Quote:
ok - since I'm obsessing ...I found a loaded 2011 for $25k USD. (he has the winter windows and extra insulation) The owner traded up to the new version. I kinda like the lightness. of the single axle and I don't have to drive to the North Pole and back, obsess for a year and save about $8k - your thoughts?

Also I looked at a Scamp 19. 2008 for $15k - it's an hour away, but the bed is too small. You all are biased, but how do they compare?
You would need to go see that 5.0 unit and the other one to know which you need. The owner will actually be home for a while for a change so you might look while you can, as he may be selling soon.

An inverter is used to power 120v outlets when you are not hooked up at a campground. Will power everything (including microwave briefly) except A/C. --- Refrigerator and hot water heater can use propane.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:15 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

I tried to politely answer your question on FiberglassRV, but since you're on the EscapeForum now, I can be a bit more blunt . Scamp builds a nice entry level trailer, but the build quality is severely lacking in comparison to any Escape. Everything from the size of the tires UP. It's also reflected in the price. Definitely you get what you pay for between the two.

Frankly, I think the Scamp 5er is fugly too. There I was blunt
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:17 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Richard, you should also know that Donna still owns a Scamp, along with the Escape 5.0 TA, so she is talking from experience.
On FGRV, I described the Scamp fifth wheel as looking like it had a cancerous growth, and I wasn't crucified.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:22 PM   #20

Donna - "tact is for those that lack the skill to be snarky" ... true that - the Scamp is uhhhh not beautiful. I did some math. $37k CDN is $27k usd. Hmmmm.