Hi All... any 19 or 21s to view? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2017, 06:40 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16
Hi All... any 19 or 21s to view?

Hi all,

We have been Scamping (16') since 2015 and aside from short trips of 10 days at a time spend 4 months living in our Scamp as we escape Mich. winter.

Since we are "part time-full time" in our trailer we are looking for something a bit bigger.

The Olliver 18.5 would only ad +/- 30" inside and the larger Ollie is too heavy for our TV.

Seems the Escape 19 or 21 would be workable. Like all molded FG trailers there is a long wait time for new ones.

So searching for a used one and hoping to find one we can look at on our travels to make a decision.

Currently, we are in Custer South Dakota at a KAO and will be at Devil's Tower for Sep16&17th then on to Yellowstone for 5 nights.

Biggest issues with Scamp is the rear curved wall for bed area (we are both tall and the bed while full size is tight due to the rear wall. Also, a larger fridge might be good.

Our TV 2016 Ford Flex with factory tow package. We had to buy this when on the road last winter in Ga. when our aftermarket tow hitch ripped out of the frame of older Ford Freestyle for the thrid time and could no longer be welded when on Jekylll ISaopnd las year.

So our Max tow capacity is 4500 lbs.

CHeers,

Bat Dude
Bat Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Welcome to the Escape Forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Dude View Post
So our Max tow capacity is 4500 lbs.
With this capacity you could tow a 19, but would have to be ready for poorer performance on steep grades, or with a headwind. It would be well suited to a 17 though.

I towed my 2009 19 with a 2009 Honda Pilot with a 4,500 lb tow capacity, and for the most part it did great and was a great all round vehicle. There was a handful of times I was wishing for more power, but that;s it. My brother tows a 2017 19 with the same vehicle (though a 2010), which is heavier than the old model 19. He too for the most part has no troubles, again except with hills and headwinds, though plans in the next year or so to look for a replacement, but no rush as his current setup works.

As is often mentioned, and something I subscribe to, is to first choose what trailer would work for you and your camping style best, then match a tow vehicle with the capacity for that trailer, as well as one that fits yours lifestyle as well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:18 AM   #3

Tnx,

The Ford Flex has much more power than the Honda so no issue with hills etc. Our old Freestyle did struggle on long hills with the 16' Scamp but the Flex poses different challenges...

I quickly find that on moderate hills I need to keep my foot only lightly on the pedal otherwise I am up to 80 MPH ;-)

Cheers,
Bat Dude
Old 09-15-2017, 10:18 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We have a 2017 19, about 150 miles from Yellowstone. We live in Whitehall MT, and would be happy to show you our trailer.

David
mtfarrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:24 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Give ETI a call to find owners willing to show in your "camping" area!
And choose the trailer you like! The trailer will outlast the tow vehicle.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Welcome to the EscapeForum, BatDude.

With that towing capacity, the Flex could have either the regular (TiVCT) 3.5 L V6 or the EcoBoost (GTDi) 3.5 L V6 - I don't recall seeing in FiberglassRV which one you got. With the EcoBoost, it has the same engine as the highly acclaimed F-150 3.5 EcoBoost... with less weight. If you have the EcoBoost, I wouldn't be concerned about acceleration or grade-climbing performance! Of course it will be slower with the 19' Escape than with the 16' Scamp or 17' Escape, but if it has the EcoBoost - and it sounds like you do - it will not be slow.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
If you're coming back through the mid west at the right time you should stop by the
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...-1-a-9534.html
Lots of different Escapes to see all in one park.
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 21' Escape 2017
I have a 21' in HarrisonTownship, Mi and would welcome you to see it if you'd like
laurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:48 AM   #9

Viewing Escapes

Hi all,

Tnx for all the replies.

Only intermittent time to be on the forum while traveling. Too much fun After Yellowstone and Tetons we are making our way back to Mich. Currently in Wisconsin arrived yesterday PM and off to explore Door County for the day then on Tuesday we pull onward to the UP of Mich. for a day then home by Thu or Friday. Looks like fall colors have not yet started!

A 21 would work if carefully not overloaded w/ stuff. However, the 19 will be likely better. We do not do television or have toys to haul, just our dog, food and clothes and computers. Oh and generally a trail camera and 2 electronic bat detectors. All my plein air painting gear lives in our TV and generally <20 lbs in any case.

After the Escapees Escapade in March in Tucson and learning about the weight & safety issues with trailers and RVs, I am very conscious of "weighty matters" for safe travel/towing.

DW has now agreed after another 29 days in our Scamp time to upsize a bit.

In any case, it will be great to see an Escape 19/21 up close and personal. I have not found any used rigs available so we will have to order a new one.

With the long build delay for a new trailer with delivery not until late March 2018 indicates our winter trip to escape Mich. winter in Nov. will mean we will still be Scamping.

Cheers, all,

Bat Dude
Old 10-02-2017, 07:53 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Rallies are always a great place to view an Escape, there will be one in Texas later this year
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...7-a-11328.html
otherwise contact the factory for address of someone near where you will be camping over the winter.