Howdy from Spokane! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2019, 11:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 Arctic Fox 811, but looking to sell
Howdy from Spokane!

Hello Escape forum users!

I've been an RV'er for years, having owned a Jayco tent trailer, a massive 32' fifth wheel, a 34 Avion bumper pull, and most recently a 2008 Arctic Fox 811 slide in camper. In all these years, I've owned a full size diesel pickup, but recently, I got sick of the ride of my 2011 Chevrolet 3500 and swapped it for a 2018 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 with the baby-Max.
My wife and I are currently in the market for a travel trailer and after an extensive search, I stumbled upon the Escape RV's and I think I'm in love! I've often seen them on the road, but never could remember the brand.
If one were looking at buying a new 2020 19', what options do you find to be a must have, and what options do you find to be a "meh" and not overly necessary to having a great time on the road?
I'm an avid fly fisherman and would love to hear how these specific trailers have treated you on less than smooth dirt roads, and back country allies. Anything to watch for? I'd definitely be getting the raised axle option to try to gather as much ground clearance as possible.

At any rate, that's all I've got for now. My hope is that my wife is as interested in these units as I am. Coming from a short box truck bed camper, we're not accustomed to much floor space, so this would be like the Taj Mahal compared to what we currently have.
Dawgless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 12:06 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgless View Post
I'm an avid fly fisherman and would love to hear how these specific trailers have treated you on less than smooth dirt roads, and back country allies.

My RAV4 is lacking clearance, not my 17B. I have high-lift.
Apologies to those who are tired of seeing this pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Rock pile.jpg  
Old 12-28-2019, 07:15 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Dawgless, Welcome to the forum! I stumbled onto Escape trailers the same way you did! We ended up buying a 5.0 TA. We've had it a couple of years now and have certainly enjoyed it. I, too am in Spokane and have it stored out in Cheney. If you'd like to see an Escape up close, I'd be happy to give you the 2 cent tour! Although not a 19, you'd get a good feel of the qualities of an Escape. Mark.
Mark&Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 07:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Hello Doug. Welcome. Threads like these will be very helpful without everyone rehashing much of the same information...

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...ons-14902.html
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...ons-10082.html
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...rent-4975.html
Old 12-28-2019, 08:11 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Welcome Doug. As for options, for our 19 we agonized over our build sheet. So many choices! But after owning it we realized we could have added nothing and been fine. It's a fine camper in its stock form. That said, the one option we enjoy and encourage everyone to consider is the solar package. Also, we have no regrets on the high lift axle and front storage box. -Tom
mtnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:48 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We have a 2018 19ft trailer with most of the options that were then available and have been very happy with it. For us, the 19ft was the perfect Escape model. The trailer is kept in my heated workshop and I would be happy to show it to you if you have not yet seen an Escape in person. We are about 2 hours from Spokane.
Sen me a private message or provide contact info if you would like to see our trailer.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:40 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome Doug, to our little Escape world. Being in Spokane, you are about 6 hours away from the factory in Chilliwack, BC and 4 from the annual Escape Rally held in May in Osoyoos, BC where there was 180+ Escapes this year. Contact the factory for any owners near you to view an Escape.
As far as options, both solar and foam spray will help with comfort.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Arctic Fox 811, but looking to sell
Thank you all for the replies! Thank you Rubicon for the additional links. I will go through those and read up on what's really important. I've got a pretty good idea of what I'd like, but it's always good getting someone else's opinions on what works, and what doesn't.

Mark&Elaine, I will most surely IM you my contact information so that maybe we can meet up to take a tour of the 5.0 TA! The layout of the 19 is pretty self-explanatory, but I have no prior experience with these RV's and would love to get an idea of the fit and finish/build quality.

New Adventures, I will also shoot you a PM and see if I can find some time to squeak away to make it up there! A neighbor buddy of mine's parents live in Bonners, so maybe I can combine a trip up with him and come check it out! Getting a feel for how much space is in the 19 would be immensely appreciated. I mean, we're already accustomed to a short box slide in camper, so the trailer should feel way more spacious than what we've already got.

I told myself that I really wanted a single axle trailer, primarily due to maneuverability in the woods, but with these RV's being so short, I may find that the double axles don't hinder me getting around.

My wife initially was like :meh: on the looks of these trailers, but after extolling the benefits and virtues of the clamshell design in terms of lack of seams and leak potentials, aerodynamics and fuel economy, and just general awesomeness of how they look, she's slowly coming around. Our old Avion had the same basic design, it was just 15' longer than the 19, which made it a PITA to maneuver and park...
Dawgless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Hi Dawg,

We are south of you about 4hours, in White Bird ID if you have any interest in looking at our 19. We tow it with a 2017 Colorado with Duramax. I too am an avid fly fisherman, and this combination has been great for camping off the beaten path. We are primarily boondockers. I most enjoy dispersed camping by a lake or along a river, away from developed campgrounds. I have a topper on the truck with a rack on which I can put my fishing pontoon, fully inflated.

That said, if this is your style of camping you’ll definitely want the solar panel and dual 6-volt batteries. We did not get the high lift axle and have had no trouble, but some folks will recommend it. We got a bunch of other options I can list if you’re interested, but for sure the solar panel is priceless as far as I’m concerned. We never have to worry about running out of power, and it’s always up on top of the trailer quietly doing its job, without the trouble of having to take it out and set it up.

These are really wonderful and comfortable trailers. Our 19 is our first RV, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Like most folks here, I LOVE my Escape.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote