I did it! New Escape 5.0TA Late April Delivery - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2019, 11:05 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I did it! New Escape 5.0TA Late April Delivery

Yes, this is so exciting.

After hiking 15,000 miles and tent camping along whitewater rivers for another 4,000 miles, I (I mean we) decided to up our game a bit. My wife and I are gonna start slow but go big.

We are taking delivery in late April and I need to figure out how I am going to get this home. Boulder CO is our home and although I have the route from Boise down to Colorado figured out, I am not sure how to cross the Cascades and what the best route is. I am definitely up for wasting some time.

Does anyone have great ideas about driving from BC across Oregon to Idaho? There are a number of good ways to cross these states, but the time of year is a concern. Usually I am there a little later in the season.

Any other helpful suggestions are VERY welcome.

Thanks you all and I am so grateful to be a member of this community.

Tim G.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: UncleTim... Starting with the best and taking your time to bring it home...WOW!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:44 AM   #3

Trailer: 2020 19
Congratulations
ValdezAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:45 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We made the trip from Texas this April - our pickup date was April 12, by the end of April you should have good odds of no snowy mountain passes. From Boise we took 84 to 82 to 90 into Seattle. The pass east of Pendleton, Or and then Snoqualmie Pass just outside Seattle are the two potential problem spots, but easy to check ahead and get updated road conditions. If there's no winter weather after you pick up there are several alternatives to head east north of Seattle and take the scenic route home - 20 and 2.

You will love your 5.0TA!
Old 12-03-2019, 12:11 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Another alternative is to put off pick up for 3 weeks. That is what we did this year, our new E21 was finished in April and we picked it up May 21 and then drove to Osoyoos for the rally that day. We stayed 4 more days at the rally before departing home. It is a sight to see 180 plus Escapes all in one place and Nk Mip is so pretty. In addition if you have any issues, Escape can fix it for you right at the rally. My awning light was flickering until Reace found a loose wire. Another benefit is seeing other Escapes and what they did to decorate inside, a lot of good ideas are available. The Best Western is located right next to Escape, you literally can walk over,
Old 12-03-2019, 12:14 PM   #6

Here are the Rally instructions:
This may not be the right place to post for visibility. Maybe the admins could help pin or repost accordingly.

Rally is set for May 21 to May 24 2020. We have put 180 sites on hold for Escape and wine tours etc are already prepared.

I know a bunch of folks are really keen to book their sites. Nk'mip are upgrading their booking system and will not accept bookings for a few weeks. We will make an announcement when they are up and running.

We will do things a little differently this year.

A. First, you book your site and pay Nk'mip.
B. Second, you come to the Escape website, enter your confirmation number from Nk'mip (we will have another process for visitors/customers not staying at Nk'mip who still want to attend) and proceed to make your selections for wine tours, golf, yoga, walking, volunteering, pot luck, servicing etc. You will also be able to pay online in your local currency for the Escape activites (except golf which you pay on the day at the course).

Karl
Old 12-03-2019, 12:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
If you wanted to cross central Oregon, the easiest way to do that would be to take I5 south to Portland, then head east on I84 up the Columbia, then south on 97 to Bend. From Bend, head east on 20 to Ontario. This route avoids crossing the Cascades in Oregon, if weather is an issue. But as others have said, just track the weather conditions... for sure in late April, as long as you don't see any winter weather forecast, all roads should be clear no matter where you go.

We went across Washington on 2 from Everett when we picked up our 19 in Sept 2018, and it was beautiful. We stopped in Monroe and loaded up on groceries, then camped at a Forest Service campground next to the Skykomish River for our first night. It was a very nice campground, except for the trains in the middle of the night were a bit noisy. Not sure if this CG would be open or snow-free in late April though.

My plan at the time was to avoid towing on any crowded interstates, as that was the first time we had towed anything as large as our 19. So we stayed on secondary roads the whole way home. No troubles at all, the 19 towed like a dream, as will your 5.0TA.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:28 PM   #8

Thiw is already fun

Great ideas. I really like the idea of picking it up a little later and then going straight to a rally. Talk about overkill right off the bat.

I might do that and hope to meet some of you up there.

I gotta go check to see how much beer I can get in the fridge.

Thanks for those answers. If you guys need help with Colorado, I absolutely can help.

Thanks again.

Tim G.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:46 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
The rally is a great time to see other escapes, meet a passel of nice folks, and get a lot of solutions to as yet unknown needs and wants.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:55 AM   #10

Is there wine tasting at the Rally in May

I need to prepare a sales pitch to my wife to join me at this rally. I have heard there are wine events there. Is that true?

I cannot find an actual posting on the event itself.

Can anyone fill me in on what to expect. I did read about last years event, but still not sure on what happens at these events.

Thank you.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:01 AM   #11

Depending on your day of arrival. we normally show up on Tuesday, Escape shows up on Wednesday. Thursday, Friday, Saturday are wine tours where a shuttle picks you up and take you to the surrounding wine country. Osoyoos is like Napa Valley. There is also a golf outing. Thursday evening is a local pub for happy hour. Friday is Escape's dinner and Saturday is pot luck dinner. There is also Sat/Sun coffee and pancakes. Nk Mip also has a visitor's center that interesting and also there is a Home Hardware in downtown. There is a nice local IGA food store to get those items you were not allowed to cross the border with.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:21 AM   #12

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
I need to prepare a sales pitch to my wife to join me at this rally. I have heard there are wine events there. Is that true? I cannot find an actual posting on the event itself.
I believe this is the latest information from Karl at Escape:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...tml#post316325
Old 12-04-2019, 10:45 AM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I spent way too much money at the "hardware" store. It's amazing and has some unique items. of course, i had just picked up my Escape so needed a few things I hadn't brought along. It's closer to a general store with no food.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:36 PM   #14

Finished the build sheet on the new 5.0 TA and signed the contract Today!

Now the fun starts.

Tim G.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:22 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Finished the build sheet on the new 5.0 TA and signed the contract Today!

Now the fun starts.

Tim G.
Congratulations! You are on about the same timeline I was a year ago. Signed my build sheet Jan 23, picked up our new 2019 5.0 April 23rd. We have put over 10,000 miles on it so far.

Some of those were to Boulder to see my 86 YO Mother. I moved from Boulder to Seattle in '79 but always enjoy going back for a visit. If course when I went to high school there it was a sleepy little town of 40,000. No more!

Anyway, congratulations on signing the build sheet. Always a milestone!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:45 AM   #16

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Wow your so close, I have another 30 hours driving when I pass Denver.

Congratulations on the purchase, our 19' finished Jan 16, like 2 days ago.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
Wow your so close, I have another 30 hours driving when I pass Denver.

Congratulations on the purchase, our 19' finished Jan 16, like 2 days ago.
Ehh, 30 hours, 2 days max.....
Old 01-18-2020, 07:07 AM   #18

I was thinking I would break the drive up into three days and two nights. And then take my time once I am West of the Cascades.

First stop, somewhere past Yellowstone, but not in the snow.
Second stop, somewhere past Boise or into Oregon.
Then finish up the following day, somewhere close to the border of Canada.

I guess I could do it in two days if I tried to.

How do you guys (non gender specific) go to Chilliwack?
Old 01-18-2020, 07:56 AM   #19

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
5.0 pickup

We made that trip, but to Calgary, in September to pick up our 2018.
Stayed the first night in Buffalo, WY a nice little place with great hotels and good eats. It is on a river so nicely treed for a change in Eastern Wyoming.
Second night was in Great Falls, you may want to be farther west at that point.
We love our TA and are sure you will too,
Have a fun and safe trip!

Maureen & Harley
2018 5.0 TA
2016 F150 3.5 EB
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:10 AM   #20

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
I was thinking I would break the drive up into three days and two nights. And then take my time once I am West of the Cascades.

First stop, somewhere past Yellowstone, but not in the snow.
Second stop, somewhere past Boise or into Oregon.
Then finish up the following day, somewhere close to the border of Canada.

I guess I could do it in two days if I tried to.

How do you guys (non gender specific) go to Chilliwack?
One thing to keep in mind is that, for me at least, hours driving in a day is less when towing than not. When towing I space my overnights for 6.5 to 7 hours drive time. (Not counting rest stops, gas, etc.) If I’m not towing, 8 - 9 hours. I’m talking multi-day, back-to-back drive days. If I’m heading to a single destination where I will have a few days in camp to rest, then I can go a bit longer towing.

As you know, end of April, weather can be nice or snowing across the Rockies. Same with the Cascades. I travel between Boulder and Washington at least once a year. Heading West, I assume you will stay in hotels. The most direct route is:

US 285 Ft Collins to Laramie,
I-80 West to I-84 via Ogden, UT
Continue I-84 through Boise, La Grand, OR; Pendleton to Hermiston, OR.
At Hermiston you have a choice: take I-82 to I-90 over Snoqualmie Pass (shortest route) or continue on I-84 through the Columbia River Gorge to I-5 N. If the Cascades are clear of snow, I-90 is quicker but the downside is it dumps you into Seattle traffic. If the pass is iffy, stay on I-84.

Avoiding Seattle Traffic:
Via I-90, take US 97 north at Ellensberg to US 2 west over Stevens pass to I-5 North. A beautiful drive.

Via I-84 to I-5 N, at Olympia, take US 101 north to WA 20 to Port Townsend. From there take the Ferry across Puget Sound to Whidbey Island. Continue on WA 20 East to I-5 N. Also a lovely drive. (The ferry at PT requires reservations)

I recommend the Sumas border crossing. That is where ETI will deliver your trailer so crossing there on the way up let’s you scope out the transfer point at Bob’s Burgers.
At Bellingham, take WA 542 to WA 9 north to Sumas. From there north to CA 1 East to Chilliwack.

Hopefully you will hang out in BC or Washington long enough to attend the rally at the end of May. One of the highlights for Paula and I is the wine tour. I think you asked about that earlier.

Cheers!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote