Introduction - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2015, 07:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Introduction

Greetings to you ... Escapees?
I recently saw an Escape ad in Trailer Life of the Escape 5.0TA 5th wheel and liked it. I have owned several 5th wheels through the years. I currently own a 2014 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe and love it but ... I do prefer 5th wheels. I joined this forum to find out more about the Escape 5th wheels and am wondering what amount of "duty" one has to pay the US Customs and Border Protection to bring the Escape into the US.
Does anyone own an Escape 5th wheel in South Texas or Southern California? I would like to take look at one if possible. I am currently in Southern CA (San Diego area) but will be heading to South Texas in September.
Thank you in advance,
Arnold
MrHDHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Welcome! Click on the Owners Map (top of page) and you'll see several 5th wheels in Texas and most owners are happy to show them to you. You can send them a private message via this forum or you can call Escape Trailer Industries and they will provide names and numbers for those willing to show their trailers.

Edited: It's sometimes better to look at the map in the Google platform.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:50 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHDHawg View Post
.... am wondering what amount of "duty" one has to pay the US Customs and Border Protection to bring the Escape into the US.
Welcome to the Forum Arnold. You've come to the right place. There is no "duty" because the trailer is sold for export to US buyers. Escape handles all the export paperwork. You simply register the trailer in your state of residence and pay the appropriate taxes.

Quote:
Does anyone own an Escape 5th wheel in South Texas or Southern California? I would like to take look at one if possible. I am currently in Southern CA (San Diego area) but will be heading to South Texas in
Contact Escape and they'll be happy to refer you to an owner in your area where you can tour the trailer.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
You simply... pay the appropriate taxes...
...and get skinned alive.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
We live in Bandera, Texas (an hour northwest of San Antonio) and would be happy to show you our 5.0TA after October 1.
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:57 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Welcome to the Forum Arnold. You've come to the right place. There is no "duty" because the trailer is sold for export to US buyers. Escape handles all the export paperwork. You simply register the trailer in your state of residence and pay the appropriate taxes.

Contact Escape and they'll be happy to refer you to an owner in your area where you can tour the trailer.

Well, sorta right. My build sheet shows a $200.00 (Can) "Brokerage Fee" - US Customers only. Maybe not 'Duty' per se but a fee originating because of exporting to the US.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:22 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Well, sorta right. My build sheet shows a $200.00 (Can) "Brokerage Fee" - US Customers only. Maybe not 'Duty' per se but a fee originating because of exporting to the US.

Right, but the op was talking about fees at crossing. Various fees are figured in to the build sheet.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:44 AM   #8

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT
Quote:
I recently saw an Escape ad in Trailer Life of the Escape 5.0TA 5th wheel and liked it. I have owned several 5th wheels through the years. I currently own a 2014 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe and love it but ... I do prefer 5th wheels. I joined this forum to find out more about the Escape 5th wheels and am wondering what amount of "duty" one has to pay the US Customs and Border Protection to bring the Escape into the US.
Does anyone own an Escape 5th wheel in South Texas or Southern California? I would like to take look at one if possible. I am currently in Southern CA (San Diego area) but will be heading to South Texas in September.
Thank you in advance,
Arnold
We used to have a 5.0sa and really liked it. This time we have the 5.0ta coming in early august. Took the opportunuty to add options we never had before. Like dual solar panels, dual batteries, larger tanks, buult in inverter, led lites in and out, larger counter area etc.

my advice is choose wisely my friend re options.

ken
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:11 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Thank you in advance,
Arnold
Hi: MrHDHawg... WELCOME...We are the folks with the combo pictured in the Trailer Life ad. It is our second ETI trailer, and was a pre design purchase. There was nothing to compare it with except our own 5.0. The 5.0TA's are multiplying like bunny's!!! There are actually people that have ordered sight unseen on this forum, and not been disappointed. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030644.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:14 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Ken,
Yell us some more about these options: dual solar, where will they be?, larger tanks? Propane or holding? ,larger counter?
Old 06-28-2015, 04:35 PM   #11

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Ken,
Yell us some more about these options: dual solar, where will they be?, larger tanks? Propane or holding? ,larger counter?
Hi - re dual solar, one panel in back and reace says he will fit second panel in the mid to front area, i will leave it to him to figure out. Larger tanks are in comparison to the original 5.0sa holding tanks, much larger counter area by having 2 burner stove sideways. We also put in the 1500w inverter as we dry camp a lot where possible and want to keep our appliance options open. Wife also chose a different formica to make it look different than original 5.0sa. Also putting the chrome wheels on and the led light strip plus having eti install 3 motion security lights, we like them because of our dry camping locations. We also moved micro to above sink area. Putting the solar controller above dinette easier to read, also installi g reading lights in dinette.

once again i reiterate how important it is to choose options wisely.

ken
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:07 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Just weighed our 21 today on a scale - 3800 lbs fully loaded with all our stuff and half full black/gray tanks at the axles, probably 400 or so at the tongue.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:29 PM   #13

Mine weighed the same, 3800# at axles plus 500# tongue last year on way home from Osoyoos, fully loaded.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:34 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Could be noted for the weight that you two have spray foam insulation. And added insulation and thermal windows, and A/C, right? And how many reinforced walls, and oven or not.
Bikes?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:42 PM   #15

I have all of the above, except for the bikes.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:13 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I was expecting we would be where you are on weight but maybe a little less with only one reinforced wall and no oven.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:13 AM   #17

My tanks were about 1/3 full and I also carry too much "stuff". upon arrival home after getting weighed I started eliminating things I do not need to try and 'slim" down somewhat. Also we had a lot of items for 3 those weeks that we do not carry for a week or less. My goal is around
3600 and 400.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:22 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Thank you all for your responses, suggestions and recommendations. I will take everything into consideration if and when I decide to place my order for the Escape 5.0TA.
Arnold
MrHDHawg is offline   Reply With Quote