July 4th is my date!!!! - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2014, 01:22 PM   #71

Trailer: none
That's terrific news!

ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:42 PM   #72

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
Happy, happy, happy

didn't hurt a bit eh?

Enjoy the new trailer!

Have fun!

Severinus and Yvonne

Seef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #73

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2005 Toyota Sienna
So glad for you! Now enjoy! I'm sure this has all been so stressful and frustrating. Good luck.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #74
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
DONE! I am so happy for you. I hate it when we have to tell folks, if you don't get joy at one DMV office, go to another one and maybe one after that. But, you're DONE!

Now, go have fun and make a ton of great memories.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #75

Trailer: 2014 19' Named Bailey
First stop for gas and did a walk around of trailer. 6 lug bolts almost off wheels. Got out my FJ tool kit and put the hurt in all lug nuts. Shouldn't they have arrived tight? Feel like I need to find a garage to make sure they are properly torqued. Yes?
FishBioGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #76

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5TA
OUCH!
Guess I'll be pulling out my torque wrench too!
Hope the rest of your trip goes well!
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #77

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2005 Toyota Sienna
That would be a good idea, plus most tire places I've dealt with will do it as a courtesy. Good thing you checked.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:10 PM   #78
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
After Ten Forward was hooked up in Sumas, Dennis mentioned... one more time... to check the lug nuts after 50-100 miles or so and torque to 90-95 foot pounds. It's a bigger issue with the fancy alloy wheels than steel.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #79

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBioGirl View Post
First stop for gas and did a walk around of trailer. 6 lug bolts almost off wheels. Got out my FJ tool kit and put the hurt in all lug nuts. Shouldn't they have arrived tight?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
After Ten Forward was hooked up in Sumas, Dennis mentioned... one more time... to check the lug nuts after 50-100 miles or so and torque to 90-95 foot pounds. It's a bigger issue with the fancy alloy wheels than steel.
... and it's a bigger issue with typical trailer wheels than typical car wheels, not because of any difference in the wheels themselves, but because the trailer hubs don't have a machined surface to locate the centre hole of the wheels - they're not "hub centric". Trailer wheels are thus often not quite accurately centred when the nuts are tightened, so the nuts don't seat completely, so they come loose.

Re-torque them, and preferably do it with no (or at least minimal) load on the tire so the wheel goes to centre instead of being pushed off-centre by the trailer weight. Once the wheel is properly centred, and thus the nuts are properly seated, this cause of loosening goes away. I've never had this issue on a trailer, but I ensure that nuts are well-seated before putting load on the tire. I don't have this problem with alloy wheels on cars, but they are hub-centric (and my Toyotas don't used tapered seats for the nuts, although the Hondas, Ford, and Mazda do).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBioGirl View Post
Feel like I need to find a garage to make sure they are properly torqued. Yes?
Ideally, yes, unless you have
  • the jack and ability to jack up the trailer, or the patience to back on and off of ramps four times to raise each wheel, and
  • either a torque wrench or a good feel for the appropriate force to apply to your wrench to get to a suitable torque level.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #80

Trailer: Escape 19' 2012 Tacoma 4x4 V6 DBLCB 2011
Lug Nut Torque pattern

This might help when torqueing lug nuts.
lugwrench-pattern.gif
You might wish to purchase one of these: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-micro-clicker-torque-wrench-1-2inch-drive/p-00931425000P?&redirectType=SRDT to check them periodically I believe it is recommended before and after each trip. I recommend the clicker style of torque wrench as the other type which has a long pointer bar on it is very sensitive to being banged around. The micro adjust style is a little less sensitive. On a similar note your Tug wheels should be torqued correctly if you take it to a tire shop or where ever for rotation etc and they put them on to tight you might not be able to get one off in the event of a flat. Moreover, you can actually warp the disk brake or axle flanges with over tightening of the lug nuts. One of these http://www.amazon.com/Wilmar-W1-4-Way-Wrench-20-Inch/dp/B0002KNYK6/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405118990&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=rust+proof+4+way+lug+wrench
would go well in the front storage box 13/16" is the size according to what has been posted before. It is a standard on one of the 4 ways the 20 inch will give you leverage to loosen or tighten the lug nuts. Which should be done in a cross hatch pattern. Something I have stated before Never coat the stud with grease, oil or antiseize it will change the torque value. Lower the jack only enough to bring the tire into contact with the road. Tighten each nut to one-half of the specified torque. Then lower the vehicle completely and tighten each nut to full torque.

The above is for informational use only every Tug is different and every trailer is a little different based on axels used at the time and wheels etc. So DO YOUR HOMEWORK..:}

Dang it BP you type faster then I DO !! lol
Cypher