Just purchased an older Escape 17B - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2014, 10:20 PM   #1

Just purchased an older Escape 17B

I have just purchased a 10 year old Escape 17B. Can any of the experienced Escape owners tell me what issues I might face or what problems I may encounter with an older Escape. Or are they perfect for all time?
ewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If I were spending your money, I'd have all the appliance checked by a service centre.
If I were spending my money, I'd get the wheel bearings, brakes and tires checked / serviced. I'd check caulking or get somebody who knows what to look for to do it. And, then I'd go camping.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:51 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Glenn gave you some good advice. The same advice we'd give folks for ANY brand of all molded towable.

If you run into a "condition" let us know, we're here with information and help.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Congratulations and welcome. I echo the advice given.. May you find nothing amiss.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
Congratulations! I have a 9 year old Escape and all original parts are working, knock on wood. She still cleans up shiny and pretty, though because she's been under carports the "Escape" on the rock shield is but a ghost of it's former self. We bought used last spring and haven't regretted it for a minute!
They were well made even then, barring owner neglect I don't think you have much to worry about.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:17 AM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Besides what Glen mentioned, on my old non Escape, at 9 years I replaced the seat cushions as I sank through to the plywood, no snide remarks please. You're almost due for a new propane tank. Check the battery.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:24 AM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
You're almost due for a new propane tank.
Good point... although it may have already been replaced. I suggest checking the date stamp on the tank(s).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 2006 Escape 17B
I bought a 2006 used 17 b escape and took it in for the wheel bearing pack, had an electric brake added to the rav and a new equalizer hitch. (all worth while investments)

i have had some issues with the bifold screen door, had to change out the propane regulator and got a new battery.

We are so happy with the trailer It pulls great, sets up easy and apart from the few things above it has been perfect

You will love your new rig for many years to come (if you can fight the urge to upgrade)
alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Good point... although it may have already been replaced. I suggest checking the date stamp on the tank(s).
Brian, in BC there is a 20# propane tank exchange that doesn't worry about tank dates. It does cost a touch more but you end up with a refurbished and full tank.
I like the idea.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Brian, in BC there is a 20# propane tank exchange that doesn't worry about tank dates.
That might be a good way to upgrade to a newer tank. The exchanges I've seen here are not supposed to accept outdated tanks, since they are of little value, so here you need to do the swap early enough.

Quote:
It does cost a touch more but you end up with a refurbished and full tank.
I like the idea.
It has appeal, but I like having a real gauge so I bought Manchester SureFlame tanks. An exchange tank will not work with the gauge... and at Costco fill prices and typical exchange prices (which typically get you a tank which is a few years old and only 3/4 full), a straight purchase of a new tank is not much more expensive.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:43 PM   #11

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
The costco in St.albert charges for what you get not a flat fee to re-fill like the mohak in town does. Before I used to have to pay over 20 bucks every time i wanted to fill a tank, now its about 10 bucks for a full tank but i just get them topped up after each longer trip so I don't run out
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:35 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
You may be right about the weight and measure of pre filled tanks. I just assumed it would fall under some truthful calibration. Pay for 20#s...get 20#s.
So far I've seen and exchanged tanks for 2 years and always ended up with a new looking, rust free, painted, and labeled tank.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:24 PM   #13

Sorry if I pushed this discussion into propane, which is really not the topic...
Quote:
I just assumed it would fall under some truthful calibration. Pay for 20#s...get 20#s.
Yes, you probably do get the amount which they claim. A full common propane tank holds 20 pounds (9 kg) of propane; exchange services normally sell you substantially less... but do honestly report the amount on the label. Blue Rhino, for instance, never put 20 pounds in a tank; they previously provided 17 pounds (7.7 kg) and now only put in 15 pounds (6.8 kg)... that's only 3/4 full. I've seen exchange tanks here labelled as containing 7 kilograms.

Quote:
So far I've seen and exchanged tanks for 2 years and always ended up with a new looking, rust free, painted, and labeled tank.
The tanks look new because they are repainted. It is a nice feature that they are clean. They are someone else's tank, repainted, so on average they will be a few years old... which is fine, just not something I want to pay thirty bucks for. If they take your old tank, the cost premium is much less so it is less over-priced.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I can't provide an opinion outside the US, but we have "new" regulations (if you call 1998 "new") [The OPD is a special valve that has a float inside the tank that will close the valve when the tank is 80% full.]. The OPD device inside the tank no longer FILLS the tank. I buy propane by volume, not a "tank." But I'm on the US side of the border and y'all need to pay attention when buying.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:29 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Yes but, when there is 20 lbs. of propane in the tank, it is 80 per cent full, if you insist on counting the empty space for expansion.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:23 PM   #16

Baglo's right: a propane tank filled to its rated capacity (20 lb for a common tank) has only 80% of its volume filled with liquid - the rest is filled with propane vapour. This has always been true; the OPD is a safety backup to help ensure this, but it makes no difference to the amount of propane in a properly filled tank... it was always 80%, and never filled the entire volume of the tank.

Although OPD valves became common in Canada long after they did in the U.S., they have been the standard for new small (under 100 pound) propane tanks for a few years now.