just sent in our deposit on a 17B - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2019, 04:26 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Tammy wrote the following to me in an email in 2017 regarding our 17b:

"The ball height is 18”. This means the trailer will ride level when the top of the ball measures 18” from the ground with the trailer loaded."

So, 19" unloaded is about right, assuming nothing else has changed.
Hey, thanks so much for looking this up, I'll check to see how my truck's hitch will line up. If I have to buy an addition draw bar I might get the adjustable type so its easy to adjust with the load.
Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:34 PM   #22

Trailer: 21C 2023. Previous 2019 17B
Thanks for the info about the hitch height for the 17B, we were just looking for the same info.
Bcescapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:08 PM   #23

Trailer: 2018 19'
Maybe I missed it but solar is essential in my book. Don’t stress too much about ball height as Dennis corrected mine upon pickup.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:01 AM   #24

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucram View Post
Don’t stress too much about ball height as Dennis corrected mine upon pickup.
That's only possible though if you have an adjustable height hitch. Ours is fixed height. One school of thought is to always get an adjustable height hitch, but I found the fixed height hitches in general to be a bit shorter in length, which could help in towing stability.

We kind of lucked out in that our vehicle manufacturer hitch was both very short and dead on level after loading.

https://accessories.volvocars.com/Ac...%5C34%5C30.jpg
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:39 AM   #25

Quote:
That's only possible though if you have an adjustable height hitch. Ours is fixed height. One school of thought is to always get an adjustable height hitch, but I found the fixed height hitches in general to be a bit shorter in length, which could help in towing stability.

We kind of lucked out in that our vehicle manufacturer hitch was both very short and dead on level after loading.

https://accessories.volvocars.com/Ac...%5C34%5C30.jpg
lucky, and that's a nice clean setup ! Interesting observation on stability.
Your right, adjustable is probably best as the loading effects both vehicles and may need to changed to maintain a level trailer.

And the further the ball is from the rear towing axle the lower the payload is of the TV unless you have a LDH.
In our case (with a full sized pickup) I don't think a little trailer like the 17B is an issue re allowed tongue weight or payload.

I'm looking at this Anderson adjustable hitch, kind of compact for what it does and its light,
Click image for larger version

Name:	518fBGoMoiL._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	36912

Bob
Old 02-07-2019, 11:33 AM   #26

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Hi Bob
I was told the same measurement for my 19 as well. We tow with a 2017 F150.

I went to the orientation/pick up with the cheap adjustable hitch in picture # 1 that comes on sale at Princess Auto many times per year. Even flipping the truck side over to make the ball higher, the belly band in which they use to determine height front to back, was low by a little over one inch in the front.

Picture # 2 shows what I ended up needing for my belly band to be level when all packed and ready to go.

Picture # 3 shows what is on sale right now at Princess Auto and looks like the ball bracket has an open back that will allow it to raise all the way up into the position of mine in picture # 2. I know it is not as sweet looking as the one you posted...but I am sure the price is sweeter.
Attached Thumbnails
D97E3103-E1C5-49E1-8BBA-ED6FDEDE44A3.jpg   0EEC36EA-AD8E-45B9-8A90-4DAAA4EE515A.jpg   BF600EBD-6967-4ACD-9B77-9D3AB92008AE.jpeg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:15 PM   #27

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark Camper View Post
And the further the ball is from the rear towing axle the lower the payload is of the TV unless you have a LDH.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I don't think there is any fundamental benefit to moving the ball further back from the rear axle of the TV.

Thought experiment: Imagine you had a 50 foot tow hitch. You'd probably be able to lift the front wheels on the TV and/or sway the vehicle with your own body weight due to leverage this would give you. A few inches is obviously a lot less of an issue, but the same physical principles apply. I have no idea if this is practically measurable, but I think it might affect things a few percentage points. Someone could calculate it since the math for levers is easy, but I didn't bother once I found one that worked for me.

I haven't noticed the height change much since we initially loaded the trailer. Full vs empty might have an effect, but a few things here or there not so much. I don't have much real world experience in this matter though..
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Hi Bob
I was told the same measurement for my 19 as well. We tow with a 2017 F150.

I went to the orientation/pick up with the cheap adjustable hitch in picture # 1 that comes on sale at Princess Auto many times per year. Even flipping the truck side over to make the ball higher, the belly band in which they use to determine height front to back, was low by a little over one inch in the front.

Picture # 2 shows what I ended up needing for my belly band to be level when all packed and ready to go.

Picture # 3 shows what is on sale right now at Princess Auto and looks like the ball bracket has an open back that will allow it to raise all the way up into the position of mine in picture # 2. I know it is not as sweet looking as the one you posted...but I am sure the price is sweeter.
I'm sure it is sweeter.....I'm going by PA this afternoon I'll check it out.....

here is my situation right now with a Reese draw bar with a 2" drop, truck is empty...
Attachment 36922

(when I look at this picture on my computer it is right side up, if I click on it in the post it is right side up, if I flip it over on my computer and reload to this forum its still upside down what am I doing wrong ?)

Bob
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2019, 12:25 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
here is my situation right now with a Reese draw bar with a 2" drop, truck is empty...
Attachment 36922

.....Bob
Bob, If you remove the ball, turn the draw bar over, and reinstall the ball. You will have a 2" rise, which puts it at about 18" which is fine for the trailer.

Edit: Wait, I was wrong. I just went to the garage and dug out a Reese 2" drop draw bar I have: it says" 2" drop; 3/4" rise. So, flipping it over gains you 2-3/4".
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:36 PM   #30

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I don't think there is any fundamental benefit to moving the ball further back from the rear axle of the TV.

Thought experiment: Imagine you had a 50 foot tow hitch. You'd probably be able to lift the front wheels on the TV and/or sway the vehicle with your own body weight due to leverage this would give you. A few inches is obviously a lot less of an issue, but the same physical principles apply. I have no idea if this is practically measurable, but I think it might affect things a few percentage points.

I haven't noticed the height change much since we initially loaded the trailer. Full vs empty might have an effect, but a few things here or there not so much. I don't have much real world experience in this matter though..
you are correct, if fact the owners manual for my truck mentions the rated tongue weight is right at the hitch receiver, extending the hitch from the rear bumper lowers this rating.

Think of the TV rear axle as the fulcrum, the vehicle in front of the rear axle is the load arm, the distance behind the axle to the ball the effort arm. The longer the effort arm the more force the fulcrum sees for the same tongue weight.

Since the rear axle has a maximum weight rating lengthening the hitch distance behind the vehicle reduces the vehicle payload for the same trailer.

Bob
Old 02-07-2019, 03:05 PM   #31

Trailer: ?
Quote:
you are correct, if fact the owners manual for my truck mentions the rated tongue weight is right at the hitch receiver, extending the hitch from the rear bumper lowers this rating.

Think of the TV rear axle as the fulcrum, the vehicle in front of the rear axle is the load arm, the distance behind the axle to the ball the effort arm. The longer the effort arm the more force the fulcrum sees for the same tongue weight.

Since the rear axle has a maximum weight rating lengthening the hitch distance behind the vehicle reduces the vehicle payload for the same trailer.

Bob

Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
Archimedes
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:43 PM   #32

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Hitch extenders I've seen marketed for sale on etrailer and similar sites have language that say "Using a hitch extender will reduce your hitch's overall capacity by 50 percent."
Old 02-13-2019, 12:43 PM   #33

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
We have a 17B as well.
We bought it used so we can't claim the bright idea for the modification that ours has.
It was spec'd and came from the factory this way.

The wardrobe cabinet to the forward (left side if you are in the trailer looking out the door) side of the door does not exist in ours.

The replacement is that the door side seat at the front table spans from the front of the trailer to the door frame.

And it lifts up and there is lots of storage under the seat.

It really opens up the entrance area and allows people to just step in and sit down.
A small person can nap there.

If we had to replicate ours, that would be a 'must have'.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:29 PM   #34

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
(when I look at this picture on my computer it is right side up, if I click on it in the post it is right side up, if I flip it over on my computer and reload to this forum its still upside down what am I doing wrong ?)

Bob
Bob I see nobody replied to this question. Check out post #6 in this thread for the answer.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...otos-9057.html
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:35 PM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

Bob
A moderator rotated the photo in your post. That's why you're seeing it in the correct rotation on your computer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:28 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
We have a 17B as well.
We bought it used so we can't claim the bright idea for the modification that ours has.
It was spec'd and came from the factory this way.

The wardrobe cabinet to the forward (left side if you are in the trailer looking out the door) side of the door does not exist in ours.

The replacement is that the door side seat at the front table spans from the front of the trailer to the door frame.

And it lifts up and there is lots of storage under the seat.

It really opens up the entrance area and allows people to just step in and sit down.
A small person can nap there.

If we had to replicate ours, that would be a 'must have'.
thanks John, it sounds like a great option. I'll talk it over with Sherry and see it that is still available.
Bob
Old 02-13-2019, 02:37 PM   #37

Wink weird !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
A moderator rotated the photo in your post. That's why you're seeing it in the correct rotation on your computer.
It looked right side up in the photo stream my computer, then I added it to to my post, previewed it and it was upside down. So I deleted the picture, went back to my photo stream, edited the picture so it appeared upside down. Re-inserted it into the post, it looked to be upside down. I previewed it and it was still upside down.http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/im...s/confused.gif

I've posted other pictures and they were fine. This one I did just take with my iPhone and it may have been upside down when I pulled the trigger ?

regardless, thanks for fixing it !
Bob
Old 02-13-2019, 03:02 PM   #38

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Download from iPhone to your computer. Rotate it if the orientation isn't correct and then save it. If it's fine on your computer, save it and then download to the site.
Your iPhone adds coding to ensure the picture looks correct on your phone. When you save it on your computer, that coding is stripped and it will appear correctly on the forum.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:22 PM   #39

I'm using a PC running Win10 for posting on here. The photo came from my iPhone to the PC displayed it right side up. When posted I it displayed upside down. I deleted it, rotated it on the PC, it appeared to be upside down. Re-posted it and it still appeared upside down in the post. Unless I can rotate the picture while posting I'm at a loss. It seems that what the moderator did to fix it.

my other pics seem fine, hopefully it does not happen again.

Bob
(I think if this is going to continue, it needs to be in a photo/posting thread)
Old 02-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If it looks correct on your PC, just save it ( or "save as" ) in your PC photo program. Then post it.