just sent in our deposit on a 17B - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2019, 07:04 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B picking up, 18 th, 07, 2019
just sent in our deposit on a 17B

I've just started reading some of the posts on this site, what a great resource ! Thanks so much for sharing your experiences.

We live near Ottawa ON and will be driving to BC to pick up our trailer in July. We are still working through the build sheet. This will be our first RV trailer but are not unfamiliar with towing.
We have towed a 5500 lb 26' boat to Florida and back a few times.
Our tow vehicle is Silverado pickup, 4x4, 5.3 lt V8, with the trailer towing package and cap over the box. We have a Honda EU2000 generator.

We are sailors and so we are experienced in saving water, handy with 12V modifications, solar systems etc. We have lived off grid for months at a time in the Bahamas.

At this point we are ordering the 17B, with maple interior, two way hot water tank, double bed, 4 cu ft fridge, microwave, furnace, extra insulation & framed windows package, a bathroom window, outside shower, air conditioning, rear storage access, front storage box, TV antenna + 12V power point, TV wall mount, two 6V battery option, custom fabric and vinyl flooring, additional high mount taillights.

We intend to use a Husky Hitch for sway and load distribution. A Curtis brake controller.

Looking forward to a summer tour of the west coast and a fun drive home.

Bob & Sherry

Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Under control.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Sounds great, Bob! Your sailing background will translate well to the RV world. Congrats!
Old 02-02-2019, 08:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I would suggest you call ETI and ask if you need anything but a ball to tow a 17b with a full size truck.
That is what I did and was told that I did not need one for my 19...and they were correct.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:13 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
You are living the life, Bob and Sherry!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I would suggest you call ETI and ask if you need anything but a ball to tow a 17b with a full size truck.
That is what I did and was told that I did not need one for my 19...and they were correct.
I'm sure you are correct, the truck weighs almost 6000 lbs.
The sailboats I've towed were just on the ball because they use a hydraulic surge brake not many hitches will work with those as the trailer tongue is telescopic.

The truck handled it fine. I was more interested in the sway control built into the hitch if I needed to make a fast move. (With the sailboats there were no fast moves .)

DSC03722.jpg

Bob
Old 02-03-2019, 03:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I tow my 17B with a Toyota RAV4 with Pro Series weight distribution hitch without the sway control option. Works well, even with sudden lane changes.

If I had your truck, I'd do without the WDH and the aggravation of dragging it out to the vehicle and hooking up.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:29 AM   #8

Thanks for the information, I'll save $500 and start off with just a ball !

I'll need to drop the ball down to match the height of the tongue of the 19B. Can anyone tell me the height of the top of the hitch on a 19B when the trailer is level ?
I'll set my ball about an 1" higher than that so it should travel level once everything is loaded.

One additional question.....when towing a boat I found it best to keep it slightly bow down. Otherwise the wind gust from a passing truck would get under the hull and lift the weight off the ball. You could actually hear the clunk and then feel a little wiggle because there was no tongue weight. I had a tongue weight of about 650 lbs.
When adjusted to be bow down a bit the wind applied force to the foredeck and increased the tongue weight so no wiggle and no pucker ....do you adjust your trailer level or slightly lower in the front ?

thanks, Bob
Old 02-04-2019, 07:17 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 21’ The Last Hurrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark Camper View Post
Thanks for the information, I'll save $500 and start off with just a ball !

I'll need to drop the ball down to match the height of the tongue of the 19B. Can anyone tell me the height of the top of the hitch on a 19B when the trailer is level ?
I'll set my ball about an 1" higher than that so it should travel level once everything is loaded.

One additional question.....when towing a boat I found it best to keep it slightly bow down. Otherwise the wind gust from a passing truck would get under the hull and lift the weight off the ball. You could actually hear the clunk and then feel a little wiggle because there was no tongue weight. I had a tongue weight of about 650 lbs.
When adjusted to be bow down a bit the wind applied force to the foredeck and increased the tongue weight so no wiggle and no pucker ....do you adjust your trailer level or slightly lower in the front ?

thanks, Bob
From the Owners Manual, Page 15

“Note that the trailer must be relatively level front to back. Tilt in either direction must be kept to an absolute minimum. Having the front lower than the rear reduces towing stability on tandem axle trailers.”
Old 02-04-2019, 08:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
From the Owners Manual, Page 15

“Note that the trailer must be relatively level front to back. Tilt in either direction must be kept to an absolute minimum. Having the front lower than the rear reduces towing stability on tandem axle trailers.”
I think that's good advice with tandem trailers using independent suspension. With the boat trailers they used leaf springs with a "balancing link" connecting the front and rear springs. That way going over say a speed bump the front axle does not have to support the entire weight of the trailer.

In the case of our 17B being a single axle trailer I don't think stability would be effected by being slightly down in the bow .

thanks, Bob