Looking Ahead! Learning Now - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2018, 04:48 PM   #1

Trailer: Still Deciding
Looking Ahead! Learning Now

I am in the process of learning all I can before we make the leap into the RV World semi full time.

My wife is a couple of years away from retirement and I am retired (disabled) Law Enforcement. Drove semi's for 15 years before Law Enforcement.

I narrowed down to four brands that look to be the best choice: ESCAPE, JAYCO, GRAND DESIGN & NORTHWOODS ARTIC FOX.

Quality and customer care are two of the most important factors in the final choice. We will need a medium sized home on wheels as my tow vehicle will most likely be a Toyota Tundra. Love Tundra's! Of course with the Tundra weight will be a factor. The other tow possibility would be a Ford F250-XLT

My choice of new home will also have a onboard Cummins genny. Solar power also really interest me also. Must also be set up for satellite TV. A four season package will be a must as I want to be able to camp into late fall in Northern areas before heading South. Plus I figure the extra insulation will help just as much in the Summer with heat.

Don't need a huge home as it will usually just be my wife, Golden Retriever and maybe a couple of Grandkids from time to time.

These Forums are the best educational tool possible. I would much rather learn from user's than from dealership's sales people.

Looking forward to "Living America" instead of just seeing it.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:07 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You might be in the wrong place, Escapes have no room for an on board genny. I've heard of one person that managed to mount a satellite receiver on the roof, but there isn't much room up there if you want solar. And there is no 4 season package available.

Best of luck on your search. I like the Arctic Foxes too, just had to go too big to get what I wanted in one.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:24 PM   #3

Trailer: Still Deciding
Thanks Bob. Good advice on this brand but I am learning about travel trailer issues as much as possible.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:31 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
Thanks Bob. Good advice on this brand but I am learning about travel trailer issues as much as possible.
In the fiberglass molded family of trailers, Big Foot, and Oliver, are 4 season, both nice trailers worth looking at if you haven't.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:29 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
with solar and dual batteries and proper planning, you will not need a generator except for air conditioning and most cg's have electric.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
If you have never used or traveled in RV. I would suggest renting one. Even if it is motor home you will learn a lot by doing so.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:56 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
I narrowed down to four brands that look to be the best choice: ESCAPE, JAYCO, GRAND DESIGN & NORTHWOODS ARTIC FOX.
Based on your description I believe you are referring to these:
https://www.kz-rv.com/products/escape-travel-trailers/

Not these, which are molded fiberglass and the basis of this forum:
Escape Trailer Industries – Chilliwack, British Columbia
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And, the KZ Escape is held together with bobby pins, so whatever you do, I'd avoid that one.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:58 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Richard,
I tried to find Quincy, AL to see if you were anywhere near Chattanooga, and then invite you to see an Escape 21", but couldn't locate Quincy.

I'd recommend viewing the Escape Trailer Industries factory tour that was just posted. It gives an idea of the size and construction of all the various sizes.

I also looked up Cummins generators to see what their smallest one is--it weighs 125pounds and could theoretically be mounted on the 2" receiver on the rear of most Escapes. Some owners have even spec'd two evenly spaced receivers to accommodate and better balance a load, but it would definitely be "outside". Not sure what your electrical needs are, but several owners have spec'd two 160 watt roof mounted solar panels and two batteries.

If you have the time to wait, try coming to the Green Eggs and Ham trailer rally that is scheduled each March near Montgomery. There were a dozen or more Escapes there, assuming you're not speaking of the other type of Escape.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 12:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
Unless u like the sound of a generator or are in a large rv the onboard generator won’t work well in my experience. But that is ok, because portable generators work well.
I’ve camped in my 19 when it was in the high single digits and did ok. I would not want to do it long term as water connections r difficult, but that is the case no matter what kind of rv u r in.
While Escape’s r not true 4 season trailers, they do offer additional insulation, inside tanks (19), heated tanks, duo pane windows, etc. but most of all r very well made and the company provides great customer service.
Good luck with ur search.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:04 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
And, the KZ Escape is held together with bobby pins, so whatever you do, I'd avoid that one.
Mr Baglo , I have to agree with your assessment of the KZ Escape.
My wife and I along with a several other couples recently went trailer shopping . The general consensus was that the Arctic Fox was the front runner . It also was near the lead in the price race.
We are planning a visit in the near future to a Lance dealership.
We have plenty of Forest River dealers in our area but if you want something else we have to drive at least 100 miles. Which is a PITA in my opinion.
My wife has suggested we make a trip to the Oliver factory in Tennessee this summer. We shall see.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:55 PM   #12

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moaboy View Post
While Escape’s r not true 4 season trailers, they do offer additional insulation, inside tanks (19), heated tanks, duo pane windows, etc..
Inside tanks on the 19? I believe Reace made one 19 years ago with an inside fresh tank at customer request, but didn’t continue the practice. The black tank is inside. Fresh and gray are outside the shell.
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:48 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
Yes, what I meant to say is the plumbing lines run inside the Escape.
That is why they offer heating elements on the gray and water tank, since the black tank is inside, less necessary. Thanks for clarifying.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:02 PM   #14

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
If you have never used or traveled in RV. I would suggest renting one. Even if it is motor home you will learn a lot by doing so.
That's what I did 4 years ago and it was money well spent.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote