Looking to be a 21 ft owner - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2015, 11:53 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Helpful link
Nova Kool RFU 8320 Refrigerator Installation

At one time Reace would leave whatever size hole for the fridge, if asked. He said also he wouldnt be able to run a propane line for future use, which wouldnt be a problem for your unit. there was a furnance delete thread here somewhere, started by nwcatowner for reference.

Looked at a V6 towing thread...those boys liked it well enough for light trailering. No mention of high mountain passes in that thread though.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:12 PM   #12

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - 2016 Ram 1500 Up for Sale Soon 19k mi
Good morning everyone, great advice as usual - thank you. Gets the wheels in the old noggin spinning again.

Jim, you are right on the advantages of more displacement being more efficient and durable under load, always believed that. But, 4300 pounds is more than I had in mind, although accurate I am certain, and from experience know actual weight shoots up fast. Will carefully re-consider the V6 for what I had originally contemplated, a good old American V8. The sound of it alone is worth the loss of few mpg. With a 3:21 you must be tooling along at lower rpms and due to the 21ft's lower weight as compared to other brands sounds like a good match.

Robert, Surrey BC so that's where they are? Yes it is NovaKool. My desire for 12vdc/120ac is not due to the RMD8555's performance. I just don't like adsorption units. Having said that I know adsorption have many benefits, long lasting propane power being at the top of the list.

A couple of models have the Danfoss compressor and coil at bottom venting to the cabin. Question is - will that part that sits under the refrigerator box fit between the wheel well and end of cabinetry ? The model I have in mind, RFU 8220 7.3 cf is 19-1/2" deep so yes it will go through a 22" door. Other models like the 9.1 cf with same width but deeper after temporarily removing the door will fit through the 22" Escape door. So the Escape entry door opening is 22" ? Wish I would have gotten that little bit of info from ETI when I asked several times.

At any rate calculating expected 12v demand of the refrigerator, battery set up, possible tow charging and finally solar for boon docking which has been most of what we do, will work by golly. Is the cost and time worth it, to most folks - no.

Not saying the model I want will pop in as exact replacement, although many other models will pop in but you need to add two cabinet vents to allow heated air to escape via convection due to their compressor/coil unit being in the back - still no fans needed.

Jack, my next door neighbor has a Jeep GC and it's beautiful. Temping yes but I like pickups. One of my hundred hobbies is wood and metal working as well are never ending construction on my home and another I have. Gotta have a pickup.

I plan on deleting the standard furnace due to the fact that it's easier for me to design my own with better air distribution, quieter and more efficient. When power is available, 120vac space heater works great.

You have the extra insulation? Wow can you tell me about it. I asked ETI but again I have to wait for the visit in September to get an answer, but feel free to describe what it is. I know the standard is a roll on insulating bubble "wrap" with reflecting film, what do they do beyond that to call it "extra insulation". How thick is the extra insulation, what added R value does it add?

Santiago

Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:34 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My 21' Escape came in at 4300# last year on way home from Osoyoos, 500# t/w and 3800# on axles. I'm pulling with a 2014 Hemi 8 speed and this year, once 10,000 miles hit my gas started improving. I'm averaging 14 mpg towing and over 20 not towing. I have the 3:21 rear end which helps with the mpg. I believe the smaller engines will work harder thus causing efficiency to drop, particularly out west with the mountains and the E85 fuel.
Jim,
Are you using a weight distribution hitch with your set-up and if so, which one? We are having trouble deciding. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We will be towing our '21 with a 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 and 3:42 rear. Christine and Emilio
Cmellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:38 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Sounds like you have a handle on all the issues that could arise from using the NovaKool, Santiago. And yes, the door width is just over 22". Provided you vent as described, and you provide for a taller cutout for the larger NovaKool, you should be able to install without issue. Be aware that Escape might take some convincing to do the fridge omission and/or to rough in the cutout. You'll probably be charged the same whether or not you omit the fridge.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:49 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmellon View Post
Jim,
Are you using a weight distribution hitch with your set-up and if so, which one? We are having trouble deciding. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We will be towing our '21 with a 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 and 3:42 rear. Christine and Emilio
I use the Andersen on my cross country trips but normally just use a regular hitch on in state trips.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:55 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
You have the extra insulation? Wow can you tell me about it. I asked ETI but again I have to wait for the visit in September to get an answer, but feel free to describe what it is. I know the standard is a roll on insulating bubble "wrap" with reflecting film, what do they do beyond that to call it "extra insulation". How thick is the extra insulation, what added R value does it add?

Santiago

The thermal package includes thermal windows and reflectix from the belly band down to the floor. Since this area is normally unseen it is normally unfinished. Thus with the package your entire trailer from the roof to the wheel wells is covered with reflectix and the white vinyl covers all areas that can be seen. If you get the foam spray outside underneath then the entire bottom is protected and insulated, definitely recommended not only for cold areas but also in warm areas. Plus the entire trailer is almost sound proofed now.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:00 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I believe Reace has looked into Novacool and reached the conclusion that it is not a good alternative to the Dometic that they do install, nor is it economical to offer it as an option. I wouldn't expect them to redesign their standard build to accommodate it.
I'm also curious how you plan to redesign the furnace to make it quieter and more efficient, given that the specs for the standard furnace are already excellent for a propane furnace.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
While I have the extra insulation and double-pane windows (no underfloor spray foam) for heat retention during winter months, I would have a hard time saying that it reduces the noise level significantly. That's just my opinion.
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:26 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmellon View Post
Jim,
I believe Jim has the Anderson. We tow with the exact same Chevy with a 21', but use a Reese SC 66151. Built in sway with spring bars. Tows great. I'm sure the Anderson works great as well. We had the Reese from our Casita. The Reese is more a conventional big chunk of Iron. Had to do a quick maneuver lane change coming through Indianapolis and everything stayed in line, no big sways. The Chevy would probably handle OK without a WDH/sway but I like belt and suspenders when your life is on the line.

Tow/haul and hill decent control on the Chevy is awesome. Makes driving in mountains so much easier!

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:27 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post

Santiago

The thermal package includes thermal windows and reflectix from the belly band down to the floor. Since this area is normally unseen it is normally unfinished. Thus with the package your entire trailer from the roof to the wheel wells is covered with reflectix and the white vinyl covers all areas that can be seen. If you get the foam spray outside underneath then the entire bottom is protected and insulated, definitely recommended not only for cold areas but also in warm areas. Plus the entire trailer is almost sound proofed now.
Jim- is it possible that you have it backwards i.e. the reflectex with thermal pkg. is from about the bench seat height up? Thought my non-thermal packaged 17B had the reflectex on the wheel wells. Maybe not.

Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote