Looking to be a 21 ft owner - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2015, 04:37 PM   #31

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - 2016 Ram 1500 Up for Sale Soon 19k mi
I am confused on this statement from Reace

"If you order a trailer with the Standard Insulation Package it comes with the headliner material glued directly to the fiberglass shell. We will then cover any exposed or visible areas under the benches with the Reflectix Insulation."

I assume standard insulation package is what comes with the trailer. With that the headliner is directly glued to the shell ?? Does this mean there is no Reflectix under the headliner ? Unless you order extra insulation ? Now I learned that the 21ft has no Reflectix due to the honeycomb material added at build time, how does that compare to Reflectix ?

Santiago

Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:41 PM   #32

An unrelated to insulation question concerning the standard battery.
I see the optional twin 6vdc batteries are boxed and mounted on rear bumper.

If you don't order those, just the standard single 12vdc where is it mounted, tongue behind propane tanks ?

Santiago

Old 08-01-2015, 04:52 PM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Santiago,
Depending on model the insulation may be different. Depending on model, the battery location is different. On the 21' Escape, the batteries are located inside under the curb side dinette seat. As far as reflectix
it is everywhere I look. On the ceiling over the refrigerator and underneath everywhere. I'm not tearing down the vinyl to look there, If you take the time and read this thread you can see the construction pictures of individual models and the walls with reflectix http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...iday-3244.html
Old 08-01-2015, 04:52 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 & Chevy Silverado 5.3L EcoTec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
An unrelated to insulation question concerning the standard battery.

If you don't order those, just the standard single 12vdc where is it mounted, tongue behind propane tanks ?

Santiago
My twin 6s are in a vented box in the street side dinette bench... I think the picture on the ETI web option list is a 17 .
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:17 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Looking to be a 21 ft owner

Quote:
I am confused on this statement from Reace

"If you order a trailer with the Standard Insulation Package it comes with the headliner material glued directly to the fiberglass shell. We will then cover any exposed or visible areas under the benches with the Reflectix Insulation."

I assume standard insulation package is what comes with the trailer. With that the headliner is directly glued to the shell ?? Does this mean there is no Reflectix under the headliner ? Unless you order extra insulation ? Now I learned that the 21ft has no Reflectix due to the honeycomb material added at build time, how does that compare to Reflectix ?

Santiago

Santiago, without the insulation option, reflectix only covers the areas where the fiberglass is exposed - those areas where there is no headliner material - like under the benches, etc.

With the insulation package, reflectix covers everything except the floor, (and in the 21 and 5er there is a honeycomb material on the ceiling). So you'd have the reflectix and the headliner on visible walls, and reflectix on non visible. On our 19, the reflectix is under the headliner on the ceiling also. Same with the 17.

I think the confusion comes from the use of the words "extra insulation". This kind of implies that reflectix is used on the standard build on the visible walls, and that if you order "extra" you get more. That is not the case. They perhaps should drop the word "extra" and just call it the insulation option. After all, the vinyl headliner alone has very little if any insulating qualities.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:23 PM   #36

Got it on the insulation, thanks Robert.

Jim, the standard 21ft 12vdc battery under the curb side dinette seat ?

If a wet battery I assume it's isolated and vented to the outside. Could it be an AGM battery more suited for cabin use ?
Old 08-01-2015, 05:24 PM   #37

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I plan on deleting the standard furnace due to the fact that it's easier for me to design my own with better air distribution, quieter and more efficient. When power is available, 120vac space heater works great.
While the standard Atwood is a very effective choice for a direct-discharge configuration, a ducted setup would have advantages. For that, there are options which wouldn't make sense as standard (or even optional) equipment but would have advantages, such as the Propex:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
A Propex HeatSource furnace might fit well standing on edge inboard of the wheel well, taking just as much height, but using less space because it is sharing with the wheel well... if the combustion air inlet and exhaust fit. I'm not trying to specifically push the Propex, just exploring modern alternatives that might fit better than Atwood's design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm also curious how you plan to redesign the furnace to make it quieter and more efficient, given that the specs for the standard furnace are already excellent for a propane furnace.
Any ducted installation is potentially better for noise than a direct-vent setup. As previously discussed, typical RV furnaces (including the Atwood used by Escape) are not efficient. With 2.8 kW of output from 3.0 kW (for the 2800 model), the Propex claims 93% efficiency (versus 76% for the Atwood).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I believe Reace has looked into Novacool and reached the conclusion that it is not a good alternative to the Dometic that they do install, nor is it economical to offer it as an option. I wouldn't expect them to redesign their standard build to accommodate it.
I agree that for most people it is not a good alternative, so it makes sense that Escape would not offer it. It would not be reasonable to expect Escape to accommodate someone else's design. On the other hand, simply leaving out parts to allow an owner to install what suits that owner doesn't seem unreasonable.

There are production RVs which offer compressor-type refrigerators as standard equipment - including at least one Trillium-style (like the Escape body design) moulded fiberglass trailer - so for their customers this is apparently not an unreasonable choice.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:28 PM   #38

Quote:
If a wet battery I assume it's isolated and vented to the outside. Could it be an AGM battery more suited for cabin use ?
Yes, all batteries offered by Escape are the traditional flooded design. Although AGM batteries do not vent under normal operation, they are still supposed to be vented to the outside in case abnormal conditions cause the safety relief vent to open.

While Escape doesn't offer an AGM option, one could get just the standard battery, then upgrade later to whatever size and type of battery is desired. Maybe they would put in the big vented box with just one standard (which I believe is group 27 size) battery in it?
Old 08-01-2015, 05:33 PM   #39

Brian, you read my mind. The Propex units, there are two models as I recall, have been around for a while and successfully used in van campers, Westfalias come to mind. Lots of discharge flexibility.

We can't keep doing the same thing forever, better designs are out there.

Having said that, I agree with you that a manufacturer has to keep costs and complexity under control or risk losing market share. I get it and support that. But, I am different and enjoy superior designs despite it costing me time and money.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:35 PM   #40

Quote:
As Paul mentioned, this is where the battery or batteries (either way) are mounted on the 17-Foot. This location is used only for the 17-Foot, due to the proportions (axle relatively far back in the body) of this model.