Lurker orders 5.0TA - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #21

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Go ahead, rub it in. We're stuck till April.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #22
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryames51 View Post
Congrats on your official trailer. I hear that it's always camping weather in AZ (just a few miles away)... We're 50 degrees here in Portland, OR.
I can second that! Never bother to winterize...........

Headed to San Francisco area for Xmas week.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:13 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Glad you pulled the trigger on the 5.0. I am new to the Forum. I have spent a "great" deal of time researching and trying to decide two things: 1) which RV and 2) are the hassles of RVing worth it (vs. B&Bs).I am convinced that if I purchase I will get the 5.0. But, the real question remains: are the hassles (things that go wrong with RVs and the maintenance) worth it? I guess it is lifestyle.
Question: what was the deciding factor in pulling the trigger to purchase? Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

MacMan
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:40 PM   #24
Commercial Member

MacMan, there are few things to go wrong with a trailer compared to a motorized RV. As far as usage, you may (or may not) choose to reserve a campsite, which can be free (or not) and your schedule is your own, you go when and where you wish at a whim. A one week trip could turn into a longer trip if you wish. Weather cannot stop you, just delay - pull over somewhere and wait it out since you have everything you need in your mobile living space. I probably spend less than $30 a year on maintenance. Major functions, like furnace, water heater, water pump, etc are modular and can either be repaired or replaced in most larger towns/cities. I've done B&Bs, but expensive and would rather have my own sheets, bathroom, etc anywhere I decide to stop. It's truly about lifestyle.

You also don't usually make lifelong friends with similar values when you overnight in a B&B.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 12-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and you have no bed bugs to worry about, just snakes and ants and bears but who cares?
Old 12-13-2014, 09:42 PM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Welcome to the forum macman -- good to see someone from one of my favorite towns join the forum. Yes, there are some hassles with rv ownership, but to us the good FAR outweighs the bad. As for maintenance, Escapes are built reliably and simply, and historically they are much more maintenance free than their stickie counterparts. Leaks, rot and deterioration are much less of a problem with a molded fiberglass unit. Plus, you'll get better mileage due to the light weight.

As for what decided it for us, we visited the factory and we also toured a 19 owned by Steve and Cynthia in Boerne. After that, there was no looking back.

Besides, we need more Texas owners. Happy trails!

Robert
San Antonio
Old 12-13-2014, 10:03 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
For me, the ability to go be a tourist for longer periods was a blessing. (My) average costs for hotel holidays just seems to have risen so much in the past 5 years.

I picked ETI for the relatively water proof construction which is awesome here on the wet coast.

Small point but I actually own a 21 now. Opportunity knocked.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:00 AM   #28

Y'all, thanks for the responses. All of your insights were/are helpful. It is always good to have others confirm some of my thoughts.
Robert, is there any chance my wife and I could "tour" your Escape in San Antonio? We live in Bandera. Thanks.

MacMan
Old 12-14-2014, 08:46 AM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Hi Tom (MacMan) welcome to EscapeForum!

You live in Bandera? Oh lucky man!! The largest all-molded-towable gathering in the nation happens in Bandera in the spring... it's on my Bucket List.

Last year there were 149 registered trailers. My suggestion is to stop by and talk to all the Escape owners. You'll get first hand knowledge of mods, etc. and make a ton of friends.

The 2015 dates: April 22-26. Last year it was $19 a night.

I'm on the email chain to receive notice when registration opens. Typically that's just before Christmas. Last year, all sites sold out in 18 hours! Rumor has it, that Reace & Tammy may be there this year...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:50 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
Y'all, thanks for the responses. All of your insights were/are helpful. It is always good to have others confirm some of my thoughts.
Robert, is there any chance my wife and I could "tour" your Escape in San Antonio? We live in Bandera. Thanks.

MacMan
We would LOVE to show it to you -- once we get it! They start construction on it right after Christmas. The delivery date is February 5th but we're going to wait until around the end of March for the pickup trip so that the parks we want to camp in on the way home will be open. Hopefully the Bluebonnet rally will be our first!

I would get in touch with Steve and his wife in Boerne. Here's their member page.

Escape Trailer Owners Community - View Profile: sjnuss

Great people and I'm sure they'd let you see their 19. If you want a 5.0 TA its not really the same, but it does give you an idea.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

You live in Bandera? Oh lucky man!! The largest all-molded-towable gathering in the nation happens in Bandera in the spring... it's on my Bucket List.

Last year there were 149 registered trailers. My suggestion is to stop by and talk to all the Escape owners. You'll get first hand knowledge of mods, etc. and make a ton of friends.

I'm on the email chain to receive notice when registration opens. Typically that's just before Christmas. Last year, all sites sold out in 18 hours! Rumor has it, that Reace & Tammy may be there this year...
Thanks for the rumor Donna. If Reace and Tammy may be there, then we HAVE to be there. I only hope we can get a registration before they're gone.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:58 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Go ahead, rub it in. We're stuck till April.
You are not stuck, you are just in a rut, get out there and go camping, it is quite enjoyable in the wintertime.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

We may exceed that number this year at Osoyoos with just Escapes, we had 110 last year if my memory serves me right
Old 12-14-2014, 10:07 AM   #34

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
But, the real question remains: are the hassles (things that go wrong with RVs and the maintenance) worth it? I guess it is lifestyle.
Question: what was the deciding factor in pulling the trigger to purchase? Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

MacMan
Hi MacMan. Good questions. How those questions are answered will depend on many factors: your age, health, finances and so forth.

Here are some of my thoughts (as Liz and I near retirement):

- we want to travel Canada and into the US - we enjoy the outdoors. And when travelling want to do our own cooking, our own beds and don't want to be dragging suitcases into other establishments wondering what the bed will be like.

I think enjoying the outdoors, wanting to be close to nature and traveling as outlined in the posts above make the hassels: being willing to learn to tow and back-up (being safety and maintainence conscious) and trailer storage worthwhile.

In fact, as a couple both in our 61st year I think entering into the adventure of travelling and Escaping is a way to stay young and outdoors. Plus fiberglass trailers require little maintainence and don't leak like sticky trailers.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: MacMan... Welcome to the forum!!! My only experience with B&B's is the memory of Fabreez. The owner must have thought clients really like'd it...WHEW!!! Even putting a towel over the pillow wasn't enough of a barrier.
When the trailer you want comes along only 8 mo's. old you grab it!!! The 5.0TA is only more perfect!!!
I've never spent more than 75 bucks for annual maintenance on our 5.0... I replaced the tires after 6 yrs. and new chrome rims too. A new battery just before we sold it. Last pic of 5.0 at Lakehead Boat Basin Marina & RV Pk. 1st. pic of our 5.0TA at ETI!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030619.jpg   P1030644.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #36
Commercial Member

We probably save enough $ by not boarding the dog to pay for most of our gas costs; most B&Bs don't allow them.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 12-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Hey Donna.

Looks like Home the best link for Bandera for macman?

Oh, and no rivets.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:31 AM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5TA
Welcome MacMan!
If you are interested in looking at a 5.0 TA, let me know...I'm not far away!

Vicki
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:38 AM   #39

Thanks. I will get in touch with them. Much appreciated. I think a flight to Vancouver is in our future!
Old 12-14-2014, 03:46 PM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Hey Donna.

Looks like Home the best link for Bandera for macman?

Oh, and no rivets.
When registration opens, it will appear on all the all molded towable forums almost simulaneously. Then let the feeding frenzy begin!

I'll post here on EscapeForum.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote