Lurker orders 5.0TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2014, 12:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Lurker orders 5.0TA

Placed order for a 5.0TA this Monday. Been looking into RVing since summer 2012 and just couldn't bring myself to getting a stickie. Maybe when slide outs become a need, I'll look again.

Due date June 4/2015, which if I am not mistaken is just before the annual rally. That will be a hoot. I'll be the rookie providing the "first backing in" entertainment.

Love the roominess in the 5er and as Donna says, that kitchen counter goes forever. I couldn't believe how much storage is available. Have some wonderful adobe styled material (drapes) in hand, but alas far too few yards (maybe 7) with a repeating pattern.

While I would love a "full load" build, to tackle some of the wonderful camping spots that don't have full hookups, I am however leaning towards a KISS build. Prewiring for solar/tv and getting the options that are best at build time (like spray foam). Then adding bits (like that very sweet Magnum hybrid inverter) as need/desire/money takes over.

Cheers.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Very nice, you will enjoy your new trailer when you get it. Hope to see you at the next rally with it.

And yes, many things can be added later. You will likely be surprised that you can just do without lots of the bells and whistles, just fine.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:17 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Cool beans Bruce! You MAY be able to get away with just the seven yards of material depending on the dinette shape you choose. Also, you could purchase coordinating material for the valances, so that means less yardage there too. ETI could give you a definitive answer about yardage needed.

Exciting times ahead!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Welcome, Bruce,
I have seen where someone used two different materials on cushions, print and solid, a kind of half and half deal you could consider. The print parts were kind of a band for the solid sections.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Maybe you could get the cushions with your fabric and the valences with something else?
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:17 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Placed order for a 5.0TA this Monday. Been looking into RVing since summer 2012 and just couldn't bring myself to getting a stickie. Maybe when slide outs become a need, I'll look again.

Due date June 4/2015, which if I am not mistaken is just before the annual rally. That will be a hoot. I'll be the rookie providing the "first backing in" entertainment.

Love the roominess in the 5er and as Donna says, that kitchen counter goes forever. I couldn't believe how much storage is available. Have some wonderful adobe styled material (drapes) in hand, but alas far too few yards (maybe 7) with a repeating pattern.

While I would love a "full load" build, to tackle some of the wonderful camping spots that don't have full hookups, I am however leaning towards a KISS build. Prewiring for solar/tv and getting the options that are best at build time (like spray foam). Then adding bits (like that very sweet Magnum hybrid inverter) as need/desire/money takes over.

Cheers.
Hi: BCnomad... We had Reace put in the roof mount 160W solar panel& all LED's. Sure glad we did, as the fridge will run on 12V while we drive without worry of draining the truck battery.
BTW welcome to our fiberglass world... Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030812.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:58 PM   #7

Thanks for the responses all.

While I am not stuck on getting the fabric changed out, it seems a shame to not use an existing resource -- especially one that complements the stock formica so well. I'll ask Tammy closer to the time. The drapes have a white backing on them so that may help some.

I have been looking at some of the private and public parks amenities and associated fees ..... I tell ya, Walmart camping is looking pretty good right now. I could probably get away with not much in the way of needs (outside of charging phones/computers) but then I read a post of someone having "a moment of need" with a fuller feature load. sigh. My idea of camping is as a roving tourist, so may have full hookups one day, and boondock the next.

Heading through the 'wack again in a month or so, and can have a longer sit in the trailer. With checklist in hand.

PS thanks for the pic Alf. I am strongly leaning towards solar, but may go 'pre wire' route for the first year. I like that the roof is generally clean for solar needs, compared to some internet pics of other campers at least. And room for two panels plus whatever on the ground.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:02 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I would suggest prewire for anything you may decide to use later, like the solar, radio, and the TV. Maybe even the cable for a Battery Monitor, you have to supply the cable. I had all the above and so far have completed the solar install, would have been a real hassle to run the cables and punch the hole in the roof had I not had it done by ETI. I had the TV cables and Antenna installed but no TV arm or the TV itself. Only issue is the antenna on the TA is the highest item and will be the first clipped off by an unseen branch. Think I should have just had the cable connection put in and forgone the antenna, maybe tried a Leaf if I ever want television.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0115 (600 x 360).jpg   IMAG0116 (600 x 360).jpg  
Old 08-18-2014, 03:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Hi Bob

I see you have the Jack antenna, how do you like it, does it work alright?

Cheers Doug
Old 08-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
BC, should you decided to change the fabric - ETI wants your material on hand as the first item before they start production so they can forward it to their cushion supplier.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:02 PM   #11

It works okay, but no better then the bat wing we had on the old trailer which seemed to have a longer range and laid down flat when not in use. Don't know which is better between the default Winegard and the Jack. One would think the Jack would get a better signal once zero'ed in whereas the Winegard would be simpler.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:08 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
It works okay, but no better then the bat wing we had on the old trailer which seemed to have a longer range and laid down flat when not in use. Don't know which is better between the default Winegard and the Jack. One would think the Jack would get a better signal once zero'ed in whereas the Winegard would be simpler.
Hi: padlin... I can say for sure that the King Jack is far better than the Winegard. Sitting at home in the drive the 5.0 got 1 local Chanel. I get at least 4 from Penn.& Ohio as well as three from the Can. side!!! Must be the point and shoot ability. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:18 PM   #13

Thanks Alf, 1st hand proof the Jack is the better of the 2 options. Now I'll hope it stays attached to the roof. And yes, I took out a fridge vent in Michigan's UP once.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:32 PM   #14

Well, the 5er has been replaced with an ETI demo 21. Haven't seen baby yet but Crystal sent pics along.

Going to have ETI upgrade the Maxx to the deluxe version...I said just like cpaharley has. . Would love to spend $$$ on solar but realize better for now to spend $ w cheap ebay controller and value priced 24v portable panel. Having a little genny already helps the equation.

Final payment going in soon!
Old 11-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Are you still coming to the rally Bruce? Congrats on the 21'.....
Old 11-25-2014, 05:15 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Well, the 5er has been replaced with an ETI demo 21.
Wow, great timing and how exciting to get it six months early. Congratulations!!
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:18 PM   #17

Thank you.

Yes, still coming to Osoyoos. Spending a few days getting used to the rig on the Coq and then the remainder of May along the Oregon coast. Can't wait. Already packing essentials into boxes.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #18

Got the government paper work sorted out and I own a trailer "officially"!

Having fun poking around amazon etc, to see what the deals are on the necessities. Now if RVing/camping weather would just roll around again...
Old 12-12-2014, 06:25 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA named "At Last"
Congrats on your official trailer. I hear that it's always camping weather in AZ (just a few miles away)... We're 50 degrees here in Portland, OR.
cherryames51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:44 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Now if RVing/camping weather would just roll around again...
Umm...I just returned a week or so ago from a 10-night stay on Whidbey Island and will head out again in January or February. I think of Escape trailers as a four-season trailer for the PNW.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote