Member since May 2016 Wannabe owner - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2017, 09:03 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 19' Escape new in Feb '17
Member since May 2016 Wannabe owner

Hi, We live in the UP of Michigan, and have been learning about camping trailers over the last year. We've decided the fiberglass trailers seem to be reliable and low maintenance, and have narrowed down to the Escape 19' or 21'. Also have looked at the Airstreams in comparable sizes, but they are more $$. We'll be camping in cooler weather, and in the mountains also, so I'm thinking that extra insulation, and thermal windows are desirable. Also the heat blankets, though not sure just what these are. I've learned a lot on this forum so far, and people are really helpful, though I haven't interacted personally a lot (yet). Just looking now at a 2016 19' escape for sale. We will probably dry camp also, as we like to stay in out of the way places. We have a toyota 4 runner with 5000lb towing capacity, GVWR of 6100-6300 lbs. Reccomended max tongue weight is 500lbs, but I'd think it'd be better to be at 400lb or less, and use a weight distribution hitch (never used before). Thanks much for any thoughts or suggestions.

Steve
norskyooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:06 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Welcome Steve.

I would probably also add the spray foam insulation underneath, based on how you described where you want to camp.

Your 4-runner should tow either the 19 or the 21, but you'd have a little more margin with the 19. My best advice is to get the trailer you like the most after seeing them in person. The tow is secondary.

The heat strips go on the fresh water tank and the gray tank, and help keep them from freezing.

Since you like to dry camp, dual 6V batteries and a solar panel is always a nice setup as well.

I agree with using a WDH with your tow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2017, 12:33 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Towing with a 4Runner

Welcome Norskyooper,
We towed our 2014 21' our first year with a V6 4Runner over 20,000 miles, Colorado mountains and all.

Ours is a 2003, so I added a transmission cooler, a ScanGuage to monitor temps, and most importantly a stronger frame mounted 2" receiver/hitch. This also allowed the use of an Andersen weight distributing hitch. You would want to check to see if your receiver is the more compact weight-carrying receiver that is not mounted to the frame rails.

Since 4Runners have evolved through the years, please specify your year and engine, for the best advice from those who use them.

The new 21's weigh a bit more than ours, but probably still an acceptable combination, if as they say, you manage your expectations.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:08 PM   #4

Thanks much for the suggestions! Our 4 runner is a 2012 limited with V6 and fulltime 4wd.
norskyooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Welcome Steve,
If you're thinking about that 2016 19 for sale, don't think long. They don't last long for sale and you'll suddenly decide you want it and it will be sold.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:39 AM   #6

Smile Thanks again! Update

We were lucky to purchase the 2016 listed by nottfar. Greg was right! If it wasn't for Nancy, we would missed it. I called after church on Sunday, and taled about 1/2 hr to the owner. He told us there were several others very interested, not to be a sales person, just letting me know. At Nancy's prompting I made an offer that was accepted. Being a detailed type guy I usually would have done a lititle more checking. Well he called back in 2 hrs just to make sure I was good with the deal, as another person called and really wanted the "classic" version. Posted 10am Sat, sold 1pm Sunday. I thought I was first to reply, but didn't know about private mssgs.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:51 AM   #7

Thumbs up Dry camp and towing suggestions

The trailer we purchased had the spray foam, 12v heat pads and is solar ready, also has the dual 12v batteries, and inverter wired to one outlet. So we'll be looking to add solar, surge protector and transfer switch soon

Towing wise, I did install a derale cooler , P3 brake controller, and the scan gauge ii w/x gauge. That is awesome! I initially put a 180 degree fluid thermostat by derale, but ended up bypassing it, for summer. Temps w/o cooler, no trailer were 165-180 (return pan temp), at 90 outside temps. Coming back with trailer, anywhere from 135-165 under cruising condtion. Peaks to 180-190 on downshift or hills, but drops quickly after leveling out. Mileage 20, no trailer, 14 w/trailer. Can in overdrive most of the time without the transmission "hunting". Very Happy!! Thanks to all.