New 21' order - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2019, 10:09 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 21'-completion date August 15, 2019
New 21' order

My wife and I (from Anchorage, AK) just returned Chilliwack, where we placed an order on a 21'. We were very pleased with the order process, and so glad we were able to do it in person rather than by phone. We have until May 15th to finalize our build sheet, so I will be reviewing topics on this Forum and asking questions of my own as we make our decisions.

Mark and Michaella
themarkofak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:15 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome M&M, to our Escape world. Tell us a little about yourselves, prior camper, tow vehicle, how you plan on using and what about the short camping season where you live?
Old 02-09-2019, 02:07 PM   #3

about us

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Welcome M&M, to our Escape world. Tell us a little about yourselves, prior camper, tow vehicle, how you plan on using and what about the short camping season where you live?
I am a newly retired UPS supervisor and my wife is a hairdresser who works as much or as little as she wants. Our current camper (pictured) is a 2003 Aerolite, made by Thor, which we purchased used 8 or 9 years ago and have not used enough. It is still in good shape, but for retirement travels, we wanted something newer and (only slightly) larger. We tow with a 2011 F150 with a 5.0 V8. With a 3.55 axle ratio, it is rated for a 7700 lb. trailer. I occasionally carry a Yamaha Grizzly ATV in the bed of the truck. It weighs about 750 lbs., or a canoe as seen in the picture (never both). We plan on being in Alaska during the summer months. Prime camping months in AK are June, July and August. May and September are considered to be the "shoulder seasons", which we will take advantage of. We also plan months long forays into Western Canada and the "Lower 48" states.

The first question I will get to is about the air conditioner. Does anybody not have an air conditioner? Does anybody have an air conditioner and use it so seldom that you believe you could get by without it? As you can see, there is an air conditioner on our Aerolite, and I assume it works because everything else worked when we bought it, but I have never, ever turned it on. We camp mostly without hookups in Alaska, and plan to do so as much as we can in our travels further south (although I understand that boondocking opportunities in the eastern half of the country are not as plentiful as they are in the west). I do not plan to carry a large enough generator to run the air conditioner, nor would I want to run a generator that long anyway. So my question is, if we can get by without AC while boondocking, why can't we get by without it even when we have shore power available?
ETI said that the opening and wiring will be there, so an AC unit could be installed later. We can have a Fan-Tastic fan instead. I am leaning towards doing just that, and see how it goes, but if there are any Escape owners out there without AC, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks,
Mark and Michaella
Old 02-09-2019, 02:13 PM   #4

Old 02-09-2019, 02:17 PM   #5

I guess I need to learn how to post photos. Here is a link to my current trailer:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...ize=1008%2C756
Attached Thumbnails
36975155_2140604189287636_4862707374906933248_o.jpg  
Old 02-09-2019, 02:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Considering where you live and camp during the summer and May/Sept outings to BC and below, I would not get the air conditioning.
Some extra window fans would do the trick.
Attached Thumbnails
90157FEE-89CF-4842-88A9-A3B71B4354F3.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:39 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
M&M,
A lot of the Canadian owners do not have a/c and depending on when you travel south, I assume it would be the Oct-Apr months, then most of the US would be cool enough.If you get solar and dual 6 volts batteries, you will be okay for boon docking. Escape also offers the extra insulation, thermal windows and the foam spray underneath, all which would make your trailer a 3 season trailer minimum. If I lived where you do I'd skip the a/c because we use it for the humidity, mainly here in the states in the summer months.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Air

Hi Mark and Michaella
Just like any other option it all depends on your needs. When it comes to an air conditioner where you camp and the time of year is obviously important. During the nineties we owned an Airolite 27 that we took all over the west of the US. We had an air conditioner and I’m happy we did, even when boondocking, a couple of hours a day running the air with a generator can be a life saver. Taking into account your experience and your future plans you should be able to make decision that works for you.

As for us, we just sold our Escape 15B (without air) and we are picking up a new 19 (with air) on May.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by themarkofak View Post
The first question I will get to is about the air conditioner. Does anybody not have an air conditioner? Does anybody have an air conditioner and use it so seldom that you believe you could get by without it?
Welcome Mark and Michaella. You will find this thread informative:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...ing-13974.html
Old 02-10-2019, 01:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Welcome Mark and Michaella. You will find this thread informative:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...ing-13974.html
Thanks Dave- yes, that thread pretty much exhausted the subject. I will go without the a/c, with an extra Maxx Fan in it's place. We'll see how it goes, and get the a/c later if we think we need it.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:12 AM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by themarkofak View Post
Thanks Dave- yes, that thread pretty much exhausted the subject. I will go without the a/c, with an extra Maxx Fan in it's place. We'll see how it goes, and get the a/c later if we think we need it.
No problem. If you do consider an A/C later be sure to explore quieter alternatives to standard Dometic and Coleman units. The Houghton Belaire rooftop is now being installed only by Advanced RV in Ohio, but they do discuss eventually supplying dealers with the units upon request. Hopefully the price comes down too. See post below.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post271225

(This link is direct to the post I reference, but is part of my extensive thread on my custom mini split heat pump installation. My unit provides ultra quiet cooling and heating, but would likely be a prohibitive investment for anyone who does not plan to make regular use of the unit.)
Old 02-10-2019, 07:18 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Welcome and Congratulations on your new home on wheels. No matter what you do regarding the AC I'm sure you will have many fun adventures ahead.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote