New awning - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2016, 04:10 PM   #21

Trailer: None
Test Test
Road Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:11 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Warrior View Post
Test Test
What do you need? I'll help if I can.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:19 PM   #23

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Guess you could always buy a Model T.
we come here for your wisdom gbaglo.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:43 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
we come here for your wisdom gbaglo.

It is so cold In here I need to get a sweater.

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:48 PM   #25

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Guess you could always buy a Model T.
not sure if that would tow an Escape trailer, however while not knowing exactly what "model" it is, a neighbor has one of those old "model T pickups" . It does drive around although a bit slow, and it looks like it has wood spoke rubber wheels.
have to admit electric start was a welcome automotive advance.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:00 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Awning?

How well does that model T work as an awning? Isn't that what the thread is about ?
Starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:03 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbrightsteve View Post
How well does that model T work as an awning? Isn't that what the thread is about ?
Started out that way and then got into why power awnings, windows etc. are a bad thing.
I'd expand, but I'm busy updating my Tom Tom.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:29 PM   #28

Trailer: Sold 2016 17B / looking for another
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
please post your build pics when in production,you may have the 1st of this new manual kind awing.....and curious minds want to know more. Thanks in advance...
I received my first build pictures today from ETI in respect of my 2017-model 17B with MANUAL AWNING specified in big bold letters on my build sheet.

Here is the one exterior photo I received...
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05710.jpg  
Old 10-21-2016, 03:51 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Why would one omit a power awning if it has a manual operation if needed like a power jack does? Was there a price difference? Sorry if asked/answered previously- I know there was quite a long discussion when the new awning was first announced.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:35 PM   #30

From earlier in the thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadark View Post
... we just don't want the added weight, complexity and battery drain of the power version. No cost adjustment for going manual.
We have a very nice Fiamma F45S awning on our VW Westphalia campvervan that has performed well and stood the test of time. It's not a big deal to crank it by hand. Did not see the need for a power awning on the trailer with the added complexity plus worrying about if it close automatically if needed. We'll be cautious about deploying or leaving it up in iffy situations just like we do with the Westy's awning.

We are the type of people who have sent a 10-year-old stereo to Reace to install in our unit, just because it has manual round controls, we know how to operate it, and doesn't look like a freakin' disco light show when you turn it on.

We are so lucky we can have these trailers built OUR way.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:06 PM   #31

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:

We have a very nice Fiamma F45S awning on our VW Westphalia campvervan that has performed well and stood the test of time. It's not a big deal to crank it by hand. Did not see the need for a power awning on the trailer with the added complexity plus worrying about if it close automatically if needed. We'll be cautious about deploying or leaving it up in iffy situations just like we do with the Westy's awning.

We are the type of people who have sent a 10-year-old stereo to Reace to install in our unit, just because it has manual round controls, we know how to operate it, and doesn't look like a freakin' disco light show when you turn it on.

Same minded on this side of the rockies!!!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:13 AM   #32

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

We had some issue's with our camper awning . Called Carefree and they had a kit called the pioneer kit , instructions how to remove the springs inside awning , add the caps , lost 72 lbs from removing the heavy springs . Simplicity ,unrolling and rolling the awning with a wand , loved it . Think like you guys . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:30 PM   #33

Another photo of the trailer with the MANUAL AWNING...for anyone who is interested.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05804.jpg  
Old 10-27-2016, 06:03 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Wow, now that is a cool awning. Kinda like the Emperor's Clothes!

Trailer is looking great, won't be long....
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:29 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
We signed off on our build sheet last month for a 17B, due to be completed in December 2016...it's the 2017 mold. We specified Manual Awning after Krista told us this is an available but unpublished option for the 2017s.

No idea what manufacturer it is...we don't really care we just don't want the added weight, complexity and battery drain of the power version. No cost adjustment for going manual.

And you cannot change your mind later and switch from a manual awning to a powered one because the mounting hardware is completely different.

I have to say after seeing the demo 17B that Escape has at the factory and having Sarah run the power awing out for me I'm sold. The hardware (arms, mounting, etc) are hell for stout. Operated very smoothly in and out. I was impressed and I was dead set against the power awning.

I asked Sarah about the manual version and she thought it was the manual CareFree that had legs to extend to support the awning. She wasn't 100% sure so that could be incorrect. Best to inquire directly with perhaps Tammy at Escape. I dropped the subject after seeing the power awning in operation.

Also, you can only crank the awning IN manually. You cannot crank it OUT manually.

Personally I would be very curious to see the manual version in operation just as a comparison.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:36 PM   #36

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you plan on installing hatch(es) on the side front of the trailer, the arms on a manual awning will likely prevent that.
Attached Thumbnails
Awning half open.jpg  
Old 10-27-2016, 06:50 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The manual awning they are referring to is a Carefree similar to the powered Dometic. No arms.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:46 PM   #38

Just an fyi....I just emailed Escape about what manual awning model was being used and if they had any pictures. I was told they are still sourcing their suppliers and will let me know.

Just out of curiosity I looked at the Carefree website and their travel trailer awnings. And it doesn't look to me there is a version that is manual without arms.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:27 PM   #39

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
Just out of curiosity I looked at the Carefree website and their travel trailer awnings. And it doesn't look to me there is a version that is manual without arms.
All awnings have arms. In some cases the arms fold into the case of the awning, so when retracted there are no visible arms; these are usually called "case" or "box" awnings.

Power case awnings usually depend entirely on arms which fold like a person's arm, as if you stuck your elbow out horizontally and put your hand at your chest (the folded position), then moved your hand directly out and back keeping the whole arm in the horizontal plane. Carefree calls these "lateral spring arms". Due to the strength required at the mounting plate, case awnings without additional support legs are typically only available for RVs (such as the new Escape style) which are designed for them.

Manual case awnings can use the same arms as the power version (the Dometic 9500 is an example of this), but some also have additional arms (which Carefree calls "support legs") which fold into the case - the Carefree Freedom is an example of this, and would presumably work on an Escape, although it would need brackets installed on the lower body wall.

The spec sheet for the Carefree Freedom Wall Mount says that it can be upgraded to power... so apparently you can have a power case awning with bracing arms which can be manually deployed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:01 PM   #40

Very true. By no arms I meant the support arms on the awning prior to the power version now on the Escapes.

I'd be very interested in seeing the manual version offered by Escape. While I like the power awning now offered I'm wondering about motor issues, etc later in it's life. Especially with a lot of use.