New awning - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2016, 09:58 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
New awning

I've ordered a new 5.0TA and need to admit that I have never seen one in person. I'm planning on visiting the fiberglass event in Niagra Falls so maybe I can see a fifth wheel. My question for now is about the new awning. I am very familiar with the Fiamma used on Casita's which is a manual crank out awning. My understand is that the new awning used on Escapes is electrically operated. I think the new style might be more aerodynamic that the older version. What happens if the motor dies when the awning Is deployed? How do folks with the new style awning like it?
Steve
Starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:59 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbrightsteve View Post
I've ordered a new 5.0TA and need to admit that I have never seen one in person. I'm planning on visiting the fiberglass event in Niagra Falls so maybe I can see a fifth wheel. My question for now is about the new awning. I am very familiar with the Fiamma used on Casita's which is a manual crank out awning. My understand is that the new awning used on Escapes is electrically operated. I think the new style might be more aerodynamic that the older version. What happens if the motor dies when the awning Is deployed? How do folks with the new style awning like it?
Steve
There's a manual override even with the electrical model. I've heard they are going to offer a manual awning if you don't want the motor, but not sure if that's true.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2016, 11:12 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
I've ordered a new 5.0TA and need to admit that I have never seen one in person. I'm planning on visiting the fiberglass event in Niagra Falls so maybe I can see a fifth wheel.
Steve
For sure you will see at least one 5.0TA at the Falls Steve. Organizer of the rally Alf has one. There were two there last year.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
speaking of the new awning, can the new, electric awning be retrofitted onto an older model escape trailer?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:49 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
speaking of the new awning, can the new, electric awning be retrofitted onto an older model escape trailer?
I am pretty sure not, due to increased weight up high.

And the wrong shape of indent.

Could be wrong.

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:22 PM   #6

Trailer: Sold 2016 17B / looking for another
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
There's a manual override even with the electrical model. I've heard they are going to offer a manual awning if you don't want the motor, but not sure if that's true.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
We signed off on our build sheet last month for a 17B, due to be completed in December 2016...it's the 2017 mold. We specified Manual Awning after Krista told us this is an available but unpublished option for the 2017s.

No idea what manufacturer it is...we don't really care we just don't want the added weight, complexity and battery drain of the power version. No cost adjustment for going manual.

And you cannot change your mind later and switch from a manual awning to a powered one because the mounting hardware is completely different.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
I am pretty sure not, due to increased weight up high.

And the wrong shape of indent.
And perhaps more importantly, the older model trailer has reinforced mounting points which suit the awning which came with it. While the new design doesn't need the lower arm mounting points, it does require a much stronger mounting area at the top of the wall. I think that retrofitting the new style would be a major project.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
thanks, I was just curious.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Anyone know the weight difference between the new electric awning and the same awning in a manual model?
mcdonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:43 PM   #10

New awning

What was wrong with the old awning?
Starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:45 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Nothing. This is just a redesign of the trailer. There's a recess at the top of ther shell for a case style awning. No arms down the sides. Looks sleeker.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonner View Post
Anyone know the weight difference between the new electric awning and the same awning in a manual model?
Not exactly, but it's just a motor and gearbox... maybe a couple of kilograms (a few pounds). The awning material and arms for the power and manual versions of the same series of awning will weigh the same.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:02 PM   #13

Quote:
As Robert said, there is nothing really wrong with the awning that has been used, but the redesign of the trailer was an opportunity to go to a new style. In addition to being sleeker because it has no arms running down the side of the trailer, it also avoids issues of interference between the arms and features such as windows and access hatches; in addition, the arms of the original awning had to be custom-bent to fit the shape of the side of the trailer, which would not be required by the new awning type even if the trailer body were the same shape.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:10 PM   #14

Quote:
To add to what others said, I know at least in the 19, Reace glassed in an angled piece of plywood from the roof to the bottom of the indent created for the awning, in order to stop the side of the trailer from flexing.
Quote:
They worked fine, but the new one should work better (well differently for sure), and looks WAY better with no arms.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:43 PM   #15

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Yes, I agree that it looks much better... but I also greatly appreciate the fact that it will provide a much better view in the passenger side mirror. The vertical arms in the old style are hard to see around.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
Yes, I agree that it looks much better... but I also greatly appreciate the fact that it will provide a much better view in the passenger side mirror. The vertical arms in the old style are hard to see around.
I pretty much always have used towing mirrors for safety, so that was not much of an issue.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:40 PM   #17

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadark View Post
We signed off on our build sheet last month for a 17B, due to be completed in December 2016...it's the 2017 mold. We specified Manual Awning after Krista told us this is an available but unpublished option for the 2017s.

No idea what manufacturer it is...we don't really care we just don't want the added weight, complexity and battery drain of the power version. No cost adjustment for going manual.

And you cannot change your mind later and switch from a manual awning to a powered one because the mounting hardware is completely different.
please post your build pics when in production,you may have the 1st of this new manual kind awing.....and curious minds want to know more. Thanks in advance...
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:40 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When powered windows first appeared there was a hesitance to purchase such a luxury, now manual windows are rare.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:26 AM   #19

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
When powered windows first appeared there was a hesitance to purchase such a luxury, now manual windows are rare.
if you are referring to autos, yes... however never had an issue with manual windows except the door handle crank broke once ..it cost only a few bucks. Now with the powered windows you have to practically gut the door to replace the motor. On the last Ford that was about $500 to fix both front door window motors after the warranty was up...even the Ford people said it was made cheap....guess progress these days in autos is defined as convenience rather than being well built and easy to repair.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:06 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Guess you could always buy a Model T.