New CA east coast member. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2016, 08:05 AM   #1

Trailer: None
New CA east coast member.

Hello from Nove Scotia.

I'm a keen 'Plan to Be' after discovering Escape Trailers while researching TTs on the Interweb. Buying a Canadian made product that is solidly built like a FG boat seemed like a no brainer, plus the price is attractive. The 5.0TA is my preference as I like the shorter overall tow length, interior height, (I'm +6'3" with ft wear), and from what I've read 5th wheels are more maneuverable? My ultimate goal is to sell my shoe box home, (600 sq ft), and live in a matchbox home while traveling around Canada/US exploring the varied landscapes, (10-15 yrs?).
Living so far from the manufacturer is definitely a drag as a visit to Chilliwack from NS is obviously costly to me and the planet. I did discover on the owner's map a senior member, (Chapitre, 5.0TA), living close by and have tried to personal message him to request a look at his model. Perhaps as a new member PMing is not allowed?
Anyway I am pleased to have found the link to this forum through Escape's web site and enjoy reading such positve inputs from other member's post/replies on various subjects.

Member: Andrew, Ahimsa 🌞
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:34 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Hi Andrew, and welcome to the site!

You have made a wise choice to look into Escape trailers. All models are great in their own right, but I too am moving to the 5.0 TA, after owning a 19 for 6+ years.

While there might be a bit of manoeuvrability benefits to the 5.0, none of the other trailers are that tough to move around.

Fire Escape an email, as they have a record of all sales near you, and can give you better contact info. Chapitre has been on the site for a bit, I also see you posted a profile comment to him. Did you try a PM or email as well?

You are quite a ways away from Chilliwack. Not sure if it would help, but if you do plan to fly out for a visit, West Jet flies into nearby Abbotsford. Fortunately for me in Calgary, this is less than $300 CAD for a return flight. You would be looking at about $750, substantially more.

And if you are planning to do a visit to Escape, I would recommend waiting until they get the new moulds for the 5.0TA, and run one through production, though the layout will not change.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:43 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Too bad you had not signed on last week, you would have known about an Escape Rally being held this weekend at Niagara Falls, On, see here for pictures....http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...18-a-7034.html
Old 09-17-2016, 08:45 AM   #4

and as Jim mentioned, contact ETI, there are several 5th wheel models in the northeast now. Your p/m ability will also kick in after a set # of posts, software issue. Welcome....
Old 09-17-2016, 09:13 PM   #5

Hi Jim and cpaharley,

Thanks for the warm welcome and suggestions to messsage ETI, that'll be on my list for Monday morning. Perhaps someone can enlighten me as I'm curious to know the length difference between the 21 and 5.0, the 5.0 brochure's is 21'+ and the 21 is also 21'+ but 17'+ interior, which is minus the tongue? The head room in the master bunk area also isn't mentioned which is a common measurement given in truck camper brochures. The reason I mention this is that as I intend to trave with all my possessions, (toys, tools etc), roomy storage spaces shared by tow vehicle and trailer is very important. A few items of note would be folding and recumbent bikes and ideally a solo Point65 modular kayak. I'm hoping to utilize up to half the master bunk area with these relatively light, yet bulky items.
I've been researching tow vehicles and like the aluminum bodied Fords and wondering if anyone is using the short wheelbase 6.5' box, 2.7L EcoBoost regular cab F150xl. I have a vague recollection of a recent read that Ford doesn't recommend this vehicle for 5th wheels? Maybe the tech guys are thinking of much heavier trailers or could it be a short wheelbase/handling issue. Lots & lots and lots of stuff to ponder....

Ps, Jim, I'm curious why you're moving from the 19 to the 5.0, is it primarily more space?

Ahimsa, Andrew ��
Old 09-18-2016, 12:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Perhaps someone can enlighten me as I'm curious to know the length difference between the 21 and 5.0, the 5.0 brochure's is 21'+ and the 21 is also 21'+ but 17'+ interior, which is minus the tongue?
That's right - the 21 Foot model is named for the overall length, from coupler to bumper, so the first three or four feet are tongue as with any conventional trailer. The 5.0TA's overall length is similar, but the body goes almost all the way to the pin, so its body is longer.

Quote:
The head room in the master bunk area also isn't mentioned which is a common measurement given in truck camper brochures. The reason I mention this is that as I intend to trave with all my possessions, (toys, tools etc), roomy storage spaces shared by tow vehicle and trailer is very important. A few items of note would be folding and recumbent bikes and ideally a solo Point65 modular kayak. I'm hoping to utilize up to half the master bunk area with these relatively light, yet bulky items.
The sleeping loft area is similar to a truck camper's, in that it is a crawl-in space with sit-up headroom.

If needing only a single bed there would be lots of space up there, and a similar storage idea has occurred to me, but I'm thinking bins of small stuff - bikes (even folded) or kayak sections might be awkward to get up there... although the kayak is an interesting idea.

If the Point65 modular kayak sections are each 140cm / 55'' long, they would need to nest into each other significantly to fit in the roughly 200 cm / 80" long loft area, unless they were side-by-side, which means presumably one on the bed.

Quote:
I've been researching tow vehicles and like the aluminum bodied Fords and wondering if anyone is using the short wheelbase 6.5' box, 2.7L EcoBoost regular cab F150xl. I have a vague recollection of a recent read that Ford doesn't recommend this vehicle for 5th wheels? Maybe the tech guys are thinking of much heavier trailers or could it be a short wheelbase/handling issue. Lots & lots and lots of stuff to ponder....
The 6.5' box is the ideal choice for a 5.0TA, but I have yet to hear of anyone using a regular cab (with any length of box). My guess would be that Ford's concern would be the assumption of a heavier (and wider) fifth-wheel trailer. The wheelbase of the regular/6.5' combination is 122.4" or 3,109 mm... that's quite short for a full-sized truck, but not much shorter than the shorter size of Nissan Frontier (125.9" or 3,198 mm), which at least one EscapeForum member is using to tow a 5.0TA. The regular/6.5' F-150 would have a stability advantage over the short-wheelbase Frontier, because the pin would be roughly over the axle instead of set back behind it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:00 AM   #7

Just remember Andrew, weight impacts towing. With bikes and kayaks you will have to be careful how and where items are stowed. You mentioned a Ford F150, you need to remember these are lightweight trucks, efficiency and towing do not mix and the more weight the less efficient. Research the carrying capacity of the F150 and using the published numbers you will have to consider your "pin" weight of the trailer, could be a range from 500-900 lbs, the hitch weight in the truck bed, plus your kayaks, be them inside the camper or in the truck will need to be considered as well as the bikes. Adding your personal possessions and you will be carrying the weight of your house with you, all will impact your truck size, motor and towing experience.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:37 AM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
The head room in the master bunk area also isn't mentioned which is a common measurement given in truck camper brochures.
The roof line angles up from the front at 27", to the foot of the bed at 38". The walls and roof are a soft vinyl material, you'd have to be careful not to tear it up.

Have you given thought to putting the bike on the back of the trailer?
I can understand why one wants a shorter truck, for parking, mpg, and such, but when you want to carry bulkier items an 8' bed sure comes in handy as does a cab bigger then a regular cab.

Sticking to the regular 21 trailer as opposed to the 5.0 gives you the whole bed of the truck to use. Put a cap on it and you can carry all your tools and toys in there. Put a rack on the cap and you can go with a non modular kayak.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:51 PM   #9

Thanks for sound input guys, with new info and further reflection regarding vehicle lengths and payload/towing constraints I am contemplating the 19 or 21. I think it's best to start a new thread on storage next.

Ahimsa, Andrew.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:16 AM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Hi Andrew

If you do consider flying out to Abbotsford the new airline "gonewleaf.ca" flies from Moncton to Abbs. via Hamilton, they are very inexpensive have an October sale on until tomorrow. My nieces are flying from Winnipeg to Victoria with them next month for $63.50 one way! My sister just visited Winnipeg from Victoria for $59 one way.

With the weights of your personal possessions accompanying you the 19 or 21 might be a better go, as the hitch weight will be significantly less than the pin weight of the 5.0TA. I would recommend the F150 2.7L Eco, we bought one in April but have not towed much with it, what is good is getting great mileage when not towing. But with your travels you will likely be towing most of the time so that advantage would be minimal. "rbryan4" tows his 19 with the 2.7 and is very happy.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:21 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Hi Andrew

With the weights of your personal possessions accompanying you the 19 or 21 might be a better go, as the hitch weight will be significantly less than the pin weight of the 5.0TA. I would recommend the F150 2.7L Eco, we bought one in April but have not towed much with it, what is good is getting great mileage when not towing. But with your travels you will likely be towing most of the time so that advantage would be minimal. "rbryan4" tows his 19 with the 2.7 and is very happy.

Adrian
Totally agree with this one. It is far easier to transport bikes and all other bigger items in a truck box then in the trailer. For transporting these in a trailer, you need two persons in order to get them in and out, otherwise you have a big chance of doing damage to the inside of the trailer. With the truck box you can easily do it yourself. Build a carrier on top of the truck cab for the kayak.
At the campground you take out only what you need. With everything stored inside the trailer, you are "forced" to take everything out (with two people).
No one likes "extra work" while camping.
Hope you will be able to make the right decision for your needs. Everyone is different!
Good luck!!!!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote