New Escape 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2018, 10:51 AM   #1
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
New Escape 19

Hi,
We are the Thomas family and our Escape 19 was just completed, and we will be picking it up around May after we retire in March. We went with several options including the solar package, larger fridge, outdoor shower, A/C, backup cam, and storage box. We also have a fairly new F150 with a 3.5L V6. Kind of overkill on the tow vehicle, but from what we hear that makes it all that much easier. We used to own a Coleman pop-up trailer, so we are looking forward to the big step-up with our Escape!

Since this is our first major towing experience (aside from U-Haul trailer rentals), I was hoping for some advice:
1. Recommendations on a good campground to stay the first night or two that is close to the trailer pick-up site in Washington. We are thinking it will be smart to spend a few days/nights to get used to the camper and get it setup before hitting the road.
2. We did not purchase any hitch/sway-bar options yet. The folks at Escape said we could wait and get that when we arrive or purchase one in advance and bring it with. Any recommendations? Anderson, EAZ Lift, Huskey, others?
3. Any other first-few-days gotta have recommendations?

Also, the following is a kind of off-trailer topic, but since we don't know many folks in the northwest, we thought we would ask. We are looking to move from our current east-coast digs to either Washington or Oregon. Preferably more toward the western half of both states (want to keep the beach within a 2 to 3 hour drive, although the beach itself would be fine too). Are there any Escape owners who reside in either state that can offer recommendations on towns to check out for a new home purchase? (kind of off-trailer topic here, but thought we would ask).
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01702.jpg   DSC01712.jpg  
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:22 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
When I phoned Escape this time last year they said, with that size of truck a simple 2 inch ball will do.

I have 2017 Ford F-150 and towed my 19 half way across Canada and back last year to the Boler 50th event. I was very impressed with how just using the ball worked. The pickup is more than capable to carry the tongue weight of a 19.

When I showed up at Escape to pick up our trailer I took with me a ball end that had a little drop. The base of the ball would have lined up with the bottom of the horizontal shaft. The employee measured the belly band of the trailer to the ground at the front and back then told me it would do but my front was down 2 inches.

When I got home I sourced out the ball in the picture and this makes my 2018 trailer perfectly level.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Attached Thumbnails
0BF5CFF6-A3A3-4884-B85B-526D24994562.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:54 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Must have, charge card and directions to nearest Wally World.

You need to be able to chock and level the trailer.

To verify all the trailer components get a site with hookups, try it with and without. So you need a hose, water regulator, sewer hose and 45 degree connector (far end), 15-30A adapter.

Single sheet toilet paper.

That's all the essentials.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Don't waste money on "RV" toilet paper. You can use ordinary TP as long as you use tank chemicals, like Odorlos. You need liquid in the black tank so that the TP will disintegrate. Don't connect to the sewer and leave the trap open. That allows the liquids to drain and the solids to pile up in a pyramid inside the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
odor.jpg  
Old 12-16-2018, 01:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Congratulations on your new Escape and as another Escape 19 owner, you made an excellent choice When I picked up my 19 this Spring I stayed a the Lynden KOA for a few nights. Highly recommended. As far as a good place to move to, I spent some time in the Bellingham Washington area and loved it; not far from Lynden.
maiki724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:03 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiki724 View Post
Congratulations on your new Escape and as another Escape 19 owner, you made an excellent choice When I picked up my 19 this Spring I stayed a the Lynden KOA for a few nights. Highly recommended. As far as a good place to move to, I spent some time in the Bellingham Washington area and loved it; not far from Lynden.
Frankly - on a place to iive - we thought about beautiful Bellingham at one point - but rejected it due to the amazing amount of traffic to get in and out for traveling AND the mountain passes to the East. Just a thought as it is lovely. If you want the West side - not too far from the Coast -- I would look at places in Oregon like Corvallis or Eugene. Have fun looking around. Also, realize that within a few hundred years or 1 day - we could have a massive coastal plate shift off our coast which will wreck havoc - primary concern States of WA and Oregon west of I-5. I would put that in my decision hopper. Nothing in life is certain, but one might assess one's risk!
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
When I phoned Escape this time last year they said, with that size of truck a simple 2 inch ball will do.

I have 2017 Ford F-150 and towed my 19 half way across Canada and back last year to the Boler 50th event. I was very impressed with how just using the ball worked. The pickup is more than capable to carry the tongue weight of a 19.

When I showed up at Escape to pick up our trailer I took with me a ball end that had a little drop. The base of the ball would have lined up with the bottom of the horizontal shaft. The employee measured the belly band of the trailer to the ground at the front and back then told me it would do but my front was down 2 inches.

When I got home I sourced out the ball in the picture and this makes my 2018 trailer perfectly level.
Great, you answered a question that I haven't even asked yet.

My WDH worked really well with my Ford Ranger. But my intent is to take my trailer down to a flat place and see what's required to hook up to my new F150 without a WDH. I'm keeping an open mind. As well as it worked before I don't have any sentimental attachment to using the WDH so if trials without it go well I won't bother with the extra weight.

At any rate now I know what stinger I should take with me for the first trial hook up.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:30 PM   #8

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam2004 View Post
Frankly - on a place to iive - we thought about beautiful Bellingham at one point - but rejected it due to the amazing amount of traffic to get in and out for traveling AND the mountain passes to the East. Just a thought as it is lovely. If you want the West side - not too far from the Coast -- I would look at places in Oregon like Corvallis or Eugene. Have fun looking around. Also, realize that within a few hundred years or 1 day - we could have a massive coastal plate shift off our coast which will wreck havoc - primary concern States of WA and Oregon west of I-5. I would put that in my decision hopper. Nothing in life is certain, but one might assess one's risk!

Or a tsunami along the coastal areas. Basically anywhere is gonna have Mother Nature nipping at your heels with one thing or another.

Corvallis really getting built up. I have a good friend that lives there and each time I visit I see lots more housing going up. Nothing compared to big cities, but with the college there it was bound to get built up.

Another thing to keep in mind is your medical care. If you get too rural there are problems keeping medical staff around for very long. My friend in Coos Bay is always getting a new doctor every few years due to them fulfilling their obligations to work in a rural area and then they move on.

But yeah, west side of OR and WA - love it!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:31 PM   #9

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Don't waste money on "RV" toilet paper. You can use ordinary TP as long as you use tank chemicals, like Odorlos.

Doesn't matter what you use if you don't put the TP down the tank to start with.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:37 PM   #10

Put together a list of what all you need to do when you hitch up and break camp. I have them in separate columns so I can make sure I do everything on the list. Go over the list at least twice before you leave as there's usually something that's forgotten.

Like flipping the step up. Closing the cover on the electrical outlet. Retracting the jack base. Closing the back window.

Not that I know anything about any of those particular items.

I don't know how you plan to sort your clothes, but someone on this forum mentioned they use ebags. I looked at them and liked what I saw. I now stash all my clothes in different bags and put a hang tag on each bag so I know what's inside of which one. My bags are a different color from Dirk's, so we can keep our clothes straight. (His undies are rather uncomfortable for me - HA!) The clothes goes in the overhead cabinets in the dinette area. They really help with organization.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:44 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Doesn't matter what you use if you don't put the TP down the tank to start with.
Use any brand of single ply paper and flush. Couldn't be more simple. Chemicals are not necessary to dissolve it.
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't recommend single ply because when it gets damp, your finger goes through it.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:47 AM   #13

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Washington or Oregon?

I will share the same advice I gave to daughter and SIL. Live in Washington, shop in Oregon. Washington has no state income tax, Oregon has no sales tax. WA residents are supposed to declare out of state purchases on their income tax but some residents forget. Vancouver WA is a decent choice that fits your requirement of 2-3 hours to ocean beaches. It's just across the Columbia River from Portland so you have all the things Portland has to offer, nearby. And, it is not necessary to cross a mountain pass when heading East. Eastbound is via I-84 in the Columbia Gorge on the Oregon side of the river. The big downside of either state when west of the Cascades is wet, dark, dreary Winters.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:37 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I have lists for set up and take down, inside and outside, on a ring on laminated cards. It helps enormously in the chaos of arrival/departure. Also have a list of equipment for packing depending on hookup or not. Several organized folks here have posted their lists and I thank them for their thoroughness.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:14 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
We picked up our 19 in September. We were completely new to towing, and to RVs. We had to learn EVERYTHING. Escape provided a "pre flight" checklist to help us when hooking up. There are far more detailed checklists on several threads on this forum as well, but the one Escape provides is sufficient to start. We went through orientation in the morning, met up with the trailer in Sumas, hooked up the trailer to our pickup, and had lunch at Bob's. Then, off we went! We drove all afternoon and found a Forest Service campground along the Skykomish River. Although this was an awesome place to spend our first night, I do think it would have been easier on us to have gotten a reservation at the KOA a lot of folks use for their first night. That would be my recommendation. Assuming you're at a campground with restroom facilities, personally I would forego the use of the toilet in your trailer. I was very squeamish about the whole dumping process and wanted to be totally familiar with the system before attempting it. Foregoing the toilet would also nullify the TP debate. We have since purchased a more robust sewer hose (slinky) than the one provided by Escape and have found the dumping process to be very easy and not traumatic at all. And having an indoor toilet while camping is a luxury not to be missed!! But not using the toilet on the trip home removed one more source of stress for us. Of course, if you're already an experienced RVer, no need!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:44 AM   #16
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
Thank YOU!

Our thanks to you all for some great suggestions! These will help us a lot and we really liked the camping suggestions in the area.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:35 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19'
Several Escape owners live in Port Townsend WA...and we love it here! Hope to see you at the Rally in May 2019>
Old 12-26-2018, 05:45 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Interestingly I had considered relocating to Sequim, WA years ago. There is a weather anomaly in that area that makes it similar to San Diego. Does that also relate to Port Townsend?
Old 12-26-2018, 06:13 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19'
Yes, Port Townsend is in the rain shadow of the Olympic mountains and our rainfall averages about 19"/year. We are not as windy as Sequim as that town is right off the Juan de Fuca Strait and we are around the corner off Admiralty Inlet. Sequim is a town that houses many box stores whereas Port Townsend is an old historical seaport village that houses no box stores.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:41 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Wow, just checked some homes there, historic victorian homes here in York are about 1/3 of those in Port Townsend....