New Escape Questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2019, 09:57 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 2020 5.0 TA, Ford F150 2.7L 4Door 4x4
New Escape Questions

Greetings!

We are picking up our new Escape on Valentines day and are happy to be joining the Escape community.

Does anybody have suggestions for the best place to stay the first night on the road after we pick up our new Escape (February 14th, 2020)?

Does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions for best routes to drive (February) from Florida to Chilliwack BC?

Thanks,
Robert (Baja Bob) and Robin
Baja Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:00 AM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Bob View Post
Greetings!

We are picking up our new Escape on Valentines day and are happy to be joining the Escape community.

Does anybody have suggestions for the best place to stay the first night on the road after we pick up our new Escape (February 14th, 2020)?

Does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions for best routes to drive (February) from Florida to Chilliwack BC?

Thanks,
Robert (Baja Bob) and Robin
Lots of people stay at the Lynden KOA the first night, close to Sumas and gives you a chance to go through the trailer thoroughly and check everything out. With a Friday pickup, that will also have you heading south on the weekend - that is by far easier to drive through Seattle than trying to leave on a weekday morning and spend the first hours of your trip fighting through Seattle traffic.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:10 AM   #3

Thanks David! Do you have any thoughts about the driving route to Chilliwack in February? We're a little concerned about the weather patterns and the driving conditions at that time of year.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:18 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Bob View Post
Thanks David! Do you have any thoughts about the driving route to Chilliwack in February? We're a little concerned about the weather patterns and the driving conditions at that time of year.
We delayed our pickup until April to avoid the winter weather, we are just not used to that at all and didn't want to deal with snowy mountain driving. Plenty of others on the forum are very familiar with the weather up there and the best routes in the winter and will no doubt chime in - I would expect that in Feb. the recommendation will be to head down I-5 through CA, only one area at Siskyou Pass to worry about on that route. You could also have a possible route back over the Rockies mapped out in case when you are ready to head home there is a spell of nice clear weather.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:25 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I stayed at Silver Lake Park, Maple Falls, WA, about 14 miles from Sumas. A great starting location for the drive to the Mt Baker Ski area & Artist's Point.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:28 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There is a Best Western right next door to Escape where we stay before pick up. As mentioned before the KOA in Lynden is close and Escape has brought parts there. As far as route, I suggest you take the southern I40 across the USA over to California and then head north. February 12 is still too cold to risk going inland. To change your return route, what not I82/I84 down to Salt Lake City and then connect to I70, but you could hit snow up in the Rockies in February. You could continue south from SLC down to Las Vegas and reconnect with I40 east.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:24 AM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
What is the completion date of your trailer? Many people pick it up right away and head off on a road trip and are over come by the fumes or off gassing from the glues and fibreglass resin. We are letting our trailer sit for four months before we pick it up partially because of off gassing and weather in the Rockies.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:34 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
We are letting our trailer sit for four months before we pick it up partially because of off gassing and weather in the Rockies.
Have you asked Escape if they would run the heat and the MaxxFan? I’m just guessing but I’m not to sure a trailer shut up tight during cold weather is going to do much related to off gassing.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:06 PM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I'd stay on I-10 west till you get close to CA, have hit snow on 40 that time of year. Or just pay attn to the weather if you take 40 and head south or stay put for a day if need be. Someone from the west coast can suggest a route north better then I.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:57 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
We've picked up two trailers and immediately started using them. Off gassing hasn't been an issue for us.

We routinely drive the I-5 corridor South at the end of Jan. We've never actually been slowed or stopped by snow. The highway is usually kept open. Pretty much the worst that could happen is you have to stay in Rouge River for an extra day or two if Siskiyou has an unusually big dump of snow.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 02:47 PM   #11

Thanks for all the input.
We will be heading south and then to the "Broken Egg Rally" at Gunter Hill in March.
See you down the road.
Bob
Old 11-17-2019, 03:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I should say that ODOT has great traffic cams and we plan on going in that time slot but watch the cameras closely and are prepared to slightly modify our pace depending on conditions.

So, from your user name, where in Baja do you go? After Q'site we'll be heading for Coyote Beach.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:34 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Welcome Baja Bob,
I think the recommendation to drive 40 West to California is a good suggestion … although I'm not as familiar with this route as others maybe. But I can suggest the rest of this trip North with experience. … After Barstow, Ca head up to I-5 North and continue to a small farming town called Williams ( north of Sacramento) and here you have a decision point. Listen to weather forecasts for the Siskiyou Pass right on the California / Oregon border. It is here that you are most likely to find a snowy and icy road. If not too bad keep on heading north on I-5 …. if heavy snow is forecast then I'd suggest you drive west on Highway 20 to Highway 101 and follow that north to Aberdeen, Washington. Next choice then is to head for Olympia and I-5 north or continue north on 101 to Port Angeles / Port Townsend. At Port Townsend you can ferry across Puget Sound and I-5 North to Bellingham. Ferry will want a reservation called ahead.
On your return trip with trailer, many people stop for first night at the KOA in Lynden … to sort things out (pretty close to Chillwack and Sumas border crossing). Near by Bellingham has a Walmart (free over night in their parking lot) and a Costco. Gas at Costco is the cheapest around and samples are free, the $1.50 hotdogs and $5.00 roast chickens are a deal.
Back to driving south …. no question I'd ferry over to Port Townsend, camp there - Fort Worden. Next day or when ready follow 101 on around the top of the Olympic Peninsula and south. 101 is much slower than I-5 but oh so much more beautiful. This time of the year, daylight hours are pretty short and 101 has lots of camping opportunities.
Enjoy your trip … I wish I was going too!

Tom
Old 11-17-2019, 03:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I should say that ODOT has great traffic cams and we plan on going in that time slot but watch the cameras closely and are prepared to slightly modify our pace depending on conditions.

So, from your user name, where in Baja do you go? After Q'site we'll be heading for Coyote Beach.

Ron
Baja Bob is From the Kayak fishing and my Subaru BAJA.

Maybe next year we can join you at Coyote Beach. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0639.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	337.7 KB
ID:	43406