New Escapee! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2014, 02:45 AM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I think the obvious hitch choice for a Touareg would be the one sold by VW and approved by them for use at the vehicle's rated capacity. This hitch was made by Westfalia, last I checked. Of course, an aftermarket hitch with similar construction and mounting could be a good alternative.

The Curt 13166 hitch looks generally similar in design to the Westfalia, although strangely its ratings are lower.

Brian B-P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:15 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Thanks, Brian, I think you're correct. Our Touareg came equipped with a Westfalia hitch with label stating max towing capacity 7700 lb, and max hitch weight 616 lb., and we bought a Westphalia ball/stinger for it. I'm not sure, but I question that a sway control (friction) would be needed, given the light weight of the Escape 19, the fact that the hitch is not far behind the rear axles, and the vehicle has a very sophisticated electronic stability control system. Sway control would require a different stinger with attachments for the control bar(s), I believe. Anyone else have knowledge to share on this issue? Thanks!

Dave

Davoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:34 PM   #13

Thanks, All. Say Jim Bennett, Sandi and I are interested in knowing what your towing experience is with your Escape 19 and Honda Pilot. What sort of hitch do you use? Weight distribution? Sway control needed? If so, what kind? Thanks!

Dave
Old 06-02-2014, 09:34 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davoid View Post
Our Touareg came equipped with a Westfalia hitch with label stating max towing capacity 7700 lb, and max hitch weight 616 lb., and we bought a Westphalia ball/stinger for it...
Sway control would require a different stinger with attachments for the control bar(s), I believe.
Yes, typical friction-type sway control devices mount to balls (1" diameter, I believe): one on the trailer frame and one on a "wing" on the ball mount. You normally get the sway control ball mounting location on weight-distribution system heads, and on some ball mounts intended for this use... but sometimes a tab for the sway control ball is just welded onto a normal ball mount. Some of the devices even come with the tab (e.g. UltraFab at eTrailer), and the tab is just a crude hunk of steel plate (e.g. tab at eTrailer).

European hitches use very specific mount-to-receiver systems, but North American hitches use the generic square box opening. I thought that the North American version of the VW Touareg hitch just uses our typical 2" box... so is there anything special about the Westfalia mount (stinger)?
Brian B-P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, typical friction-type sway control devices mount to balls (1" diameter, I believe): one on the trailer frame and one on a "wing" on the ball mount. You normally get the sway control ball mounting location on weight-distribution system heads, and on some ball mounts intended for this use... but sometimes a tab for the sway control ball is just welded onto a normal ball mount. Some of the devices even come with the tab (e.g. UltraFab at eTrailer), and the tab is just a crude hunk of steel plate (e.g. tab at eTrailer).

European hitches use very specific mount-to-receiver systems, but North American hitches use the generic square box opening. I thought that the North American version of the VW Touareg hitch just uses our typical 2" box... so is there anything special about the Westfalia mount (stinger)?
Nothing special about the Westphalia stinger, except its drop, I guess. The receiver is NA standard, 2X2". Sounds like welding a tab on the Westphalia ball stinger may be the ticket for some sway control. Thanks, Brian!

Dave