New....looking for advice - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Old 07-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #51
Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Originally Posted by soultrek View Post
Is the "thin cloth-like material" just a packaging wrap, or is it meant to be permanently on the foam...
It is just a protective layer during packaging and is to be disposed.

Karen Hulford
2013 Escape 15A (April), "Egbert"
Ford 150 XLT 5.8L
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #52
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I found inflatable mattresses a poor substitute for the proper thing.
They are actually hard, no matter how much air you put in them, as the air is compressed when you lay on it.
They are also cold. A regular mattress warms in the areas you lay on. With an air mattress, all the air inside needs to be warmed.
Down Air Mattresses. Very warm, and inflated only enough to barely keep your hips and shoulders off the ground. By far the best thing I have EVER bought for backcountry use. I know a couple people who use them in trailers too.

2017 Escape 5.0 TA (January 26 )
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #53
Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B, 2016 Tacoma Off Road
I set the rear table in my 17B as a full time bed. I used the original cushions with a 2" topper, and while it was comfortable, it was a bit too high - blocked the 120V receptacle and, as others mentioned, the folding extension. After my first trip & made some changes:

I replaced the original cushions with a 2" folding gym mat, a tapered 5" to 2" topper that my doctor recommended to help with stomach problems, and a high quality 2" topper over that. Both were trimmed to fit with an electric carving knife. I sewed my own cover for the combined toppers so they act as a single mattress. The advantage of the gym mat is it can be folded back to get at the storage areas and provides more support than the toppers alone. because I sleep with my head at the refrigerator side, there is plenty of room for the table extension & receptacle.

I also removed the table hardware so storage under the bed is easier. I have a couple of laundry baskets for storage. Photos of the bed are on my trailer modifications page.

One last note - I found 3/4 sheets at Amazon - they fit the rear mattress (both standard & my modified version) much better than full size sheets. The ones I purchased have a fitted bottom & a top sheet with elastic in the bottom, making it easier to keep the sheet tucked in. Unfortunately, they no longer seem to be available, and the other one's at Amazon have lousy ratings. You could try CosyTown Linens, which makes many different types of 3/4 sheets, but they are expensive.
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2016 Tacoma 2011 17B
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #54
Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
They are expensive but, Escape can provide mattresses for both the front and rear dinettes on the 17b.
We removed the cushions on the rear dinette and put a full time mattress in its place. In the front, we put a full time mattress on top of the existing cushions. That way, if need be, the front bed can still be used as a dinette by moving the smaller mattress onto the rear bed and raising the smaller table.
Our Grandson then gets his own bed when both dinettes have their tables lowered.
VERY comfortable!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:14 AM   #55
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
I modified the fold down shelf so hat it detaches completely for storage under the bed. Then attaches with some shelf brackets. Currently on a cross country bike trip but will post photos when Lindy picks me up with the Lark in 3 weeks

LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote