New....looking for advice - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #1

Trailer: still looking
New....looking for advice

Hi!
I am a new member, directed here by the FiberglassRV Forum. I plan on retiring in 4 years, and traveling full-time for 2 years around the US/Canada, with cats. I always plan and research ahead of any project, so I welcome any advice. I have tent camped for 25 years, but a trailer will be new for me. I have not towed before. I have a 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R, with towing capacity of 3000 lbs. The Escape 17 B, which looks perfect for me, has a dry weight of 2100. How much does the "stuff" of life add in weight - clothes, food, water,etc. I have no idea. I am afraid I will need a different tow vehicle.
Also how are the mattresses/cushions to sleep on. I have back problems so wondered if I would need to address that, perhaps with an overlay.
Thanks for all your suggestions, in advance.......Mc Kenna in Colorado
Mc Kenna Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have the 17b and if I were traveling alone ( and for two years ), I would probably get a mattress for the front dinette and leave it as a bed.

We had a topper for the rear dinette / double bed, but then the Old Bag decided she wanted to set it up as a dinette each day. Had to find a place for the topper, as well as the bedding. Last trip out, it stayed set as a bed, and I have no idea where the topper went.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 17
I didn' read much of it, but there is a thread at that forum talking about the escape warranty does not apply to living in it full time you may want to read up on.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: gocamp... It would seem to me that if the trailer is bought prior to the 4 yr. retirement date a two yr. warranty would be expired before being used for full timing!!!
I'm never conserned about a 2yr. warr. on a trailer that could still be in use 20 yrs.down the road.
Ace Brown spent at least 4 yrs. full timing in his 17'er. but I don't know about any cats. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
I'm never conserned about a 2yr. warr. on a trailer that could still be in use 20 yrs.down the road.
Exactly.

The only things that could really go wrong are mostly with one of the individual components, and they are usually covered by their own warranties anyway.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #6

Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping to leave one of the tables set up as a bed, full time. Just wasn't sure if the front would be wide enough so I didn't feel cramped.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:41 PM   #7

I will do that. Never thought of that angle. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
I use the large dinette as a permanent bed, for several reasons: I wanted the room for lounging, reading and watching TV. I wanted my sleeping in the back, though many prefer the opposite.
My bed can be converted back to a dinette, but I have to put in the base and pedestal (which it came with). Although Reace offered to "box" it in, I wanted the flexability and to be able to reach under to the passenger side rear where I added a bench door. I then put a memory foam mattress topper on top of the cushions, and make my bed as a bed with a washable fuzzy fleece cover for lounging.
You may wish to send a pm to Carol R, who reasearched the 17 B and towing it very thoroughly! (Although as yet because of her broken arm, she has not used hers yet.)
What ever you decide re: sleeping, the bathroom door can be hinged on either side to accomodate "midnight trips".
Another thing you may wish to do is read this forum as to what others have done (or not done) and how they like what they did (or didn't do).
Old 06-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc Kenna Lynn View Post
Hi!
I am a new member, directed here by the FiberglassRV Forum. I plan on retiring in 4 years, and traveling full-time for 2 years around the US/Canada, with cats. I always plan and research ahead of any project, so I welcome any advice. I have tent camped for 25 years, but a trailer will be new for me. I have not towed before. I have a 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R, with towing capacity of 3000 lbs. The Escape 17 B, which looks perfect for me, has a dry weight of 2100. How much does the "stuff" of life add in weight - clothes, food, water,etc. I have no idea. I am afraid I will need a different tow vehicle.
Also how are the mattresses/cushions to sleep on. I have back problems so wondered if I would need to address that, perhaps with an overlay.
Thanks for all your suggestions, in advance.......Mc Kenna in Colorado
McKenna:

You should check here for the loaded weight of an Escape 17B: Trailer Weights in the Real World - Fiberglass RV

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvansnell View Post
McKenna:

You should check here for the loaded weight of an Escape 17B: Trailer Weights in the Real World - Fiberglass RV
Thanks Brian. Very helpful. Looks like 300 to 500 lbs for personal gear, + trailer dry weight at 2100 will put me below the 3000 lb tow capacity for my Subaru Outback. Maybe I won't need a new vehicle.
Unless this doesn't leave enough for acceleration in the mountains. Others have said not to go over 80 % of tow capacity, which is 2400.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #11

Mattress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
I use the large dinette as a permanent bed, for several reasons: I wanted the room for lounging, reading and watching TV. Another thing you may wish to do is read this forum as to what others have done (or not done) and how they like what they did (or didn't do).
Thanks Sandra,
Did you need to buy a custom mattress, or can you find a decent fit from what is on the market.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #12

The tongue weight for the 17B is 320 lbs. Not sure what the allowable tongue weight for the Outback is, but my recollection is that it is less than that.
You need to know the packed trailer weight and the tongue weight allowed for Outback.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Also remember that 2100# is without any options nor propane nor battery.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The tongue weight for the 17B is 320 lbs. Not sure what the allowable tongue weight for the Outback is, but my recollection is that it is less than that.
You need to know the packed trailer weight and the tongue weight allowed for Outback.
Outback tongue weight max is 300lbs. So I will need a different towing vehicle. I'm not ready to purchase yet, but when I do, is there anything to consider besides tongue weight and towing capacity?
Old 06-27-2013, 12:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Also remember that 2100# is without any options nor propane nor battery.
I've been trying/hoping to make the Outback work. But it is now obvious it won't. What do I need to look at in a different vehicle: towing capacity, tongue weight? Anything else to consider. Would hate to get a different vehicle and find out I missed something.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:07 AM   #16

Well, the side hinged door on my RAV4 is an aggravation, but 2013 RAV4 is even less capable than the Outback, so it's out of the question.
With a dog, I'll not get fabric seats next time. And, I'll opt for the back-up camera. I've had the RAV for five years and I still don't know where that spare tire is, hanging off the back as it does.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:51 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The Toyota FJ would seem to be an ideal tow vehicle, other than the rear door inaccessibility while hooked up. Perhaps a Jeep Liberty will work with the swing up hatch. I traded my Liberty in on my FJ. But the FJ is ideal for pets, the entire inside is vinyl and can be hosed down, it's capacity is 500 lbs tongue weight and 5000 lbs trailer weight. This means it can safely tow any Escape made. I have a pet barrier which keeps my 2 labs in the back until I open the side doors to walk them.
Another option is the used vehicle just listed recently here by a forum member
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...icle-2418.html
Old 06-27-2013, 06:47 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc Kenna Lynn View Post
I've been trying/hoping to make the Outback work. But it is now obvious it won't. What do I need to look at in a different vehicle: towing capacity, tongue weight? Anything else to consider. Would hate to get a different vehicle and find out I missed something.
I think you are wise to realise this. Too many try hard to justify an inadequate tow vehicle because they already own it.

I would look for a tow capacity of at least 4,000 lbs to meet your needs, and give you that little extra power for big hills, passing, or emergency maneuvers. Most vehicles tend to have an hitch capacity of about 10% of their towing capacity (though this is included in the tow capacity). I think with most SUVs that have a lifting rear door, it will miss the tongue jack, I know our Pilot does.

Look around on this forum, and a lot has been discussed about tow vehicles. You will find many great options out their, almost every manufacturer will have one to suit your needs. And don't hesitate to discuss something you find with us, lots of great minds on here.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
"We have an escape 17, we travelled approx. 3800 Kim's & back to Nova Scotia this past spring towing with a 6cylinder RAV4 Sport with the tow pkg., we have a WD HITCH as well.
My experience was : this set up would be more or less ok if you we're not going fairly far. Our trip took 41/2 days, lots of various roads - freeway, secondary etc . We ran into lots of wind as well. We also were on prolonged inclines. In my opinion the vehicle was fine on relatively flat, even some big hills were fine, but the prolonged incline, rough spring roads, wind all became factors that seemed to be hard on the vehicle, and on the "comfort" of towing.There were just two of us, with not a ton of stuff in the vehicle, the trailer weighed 3180 lbs loaded, we were pretty close to the GCWeight. If I was camping - even 6 hours or so from home, no problem, but the extensive travel, coupled with worrying and calculating weight on the hitch (350 max) gets a bit tiring. I know there are people who do it and are fine with it, but I don't think it,s for everybody. I got between 13 and 15 mph( imperial). When I got home I decided I didn't want to do the trip again with the RAV, and traded it for a Chev Siverado 5.3 which most people towing the type of trailers get 16 or 17 mpg, I get 21 without the trailer on the highway,. So the milage while towing will be close to the same, as the RAV and I probably won't know it's there, coupled with worrying about how to take extra's such as tables, etc.which is more or less what I got with the RAV- Some of this depends on the individual, but the RAV on long distances with any extra people or stuff in the tow vehicle is a challenge."

Above were comments I posted earlier. I think it depends on your comfort and how far and long you're going, but as Jim said, it is a lot easier if you leave yourself a fair amount of leeway.

Chapi
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #20

Trailer: '07 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The Toyota FJ would seem to be an ideal tow vehicle, other than the rear door inaccessibility while hooked up. Perhaps a Jeep Liberty will work with the swing up hatch. I traded my Liberty in on my FJ. But the FJ is ideal for pets, the entire inside is vinyl and can be hosed down, it's capacity is 500 lbs tongue weight and 5000 lbs trailer weight. This means it can safely tow any Escape made. I have a pet barrier which keeps my 2 labs in the back until I open the side doors to walk them.
Another option is the used vehicle just listed recently here by a forum member
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...icle-2418.html
We have just come back from a trip into the Chilcotin (west of Williams lake). There were lots of steep hills & all, but no problem for our FJ! Didn't even feel any turbulence when semis passed us by. Have no need for a WDH! Towing is a breeze!
GaryH is offline   Reply With Quote