New Member, 2019 Escape 19' - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2019, 08:54 AM   #21

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostskier View Post
Yes, I think some of the videos I've watched have mentioned they have a small step stool, or platform they use. I'm not sure what the dimensions are in the stall yet either. There is usually a ledge that the toilet is installed on. Once I have it installed, I plan to measure and either build or buy an appropriate height step or platform for the bottom of the shower.
Bernese, check out videos on porta potties. I haven't seen very many with widespread approval as there are usually a couple of reviewers that have negative comments. I did look at the one with bags, and even ran into a van this spring that uses that system. But the drawback is long term cost with bags and possible leakage. I know how things can bounce around in a trailer so a porta potty wasn't a good choice for me.
lostskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:55 AM   #22

Trailer: None yet
Quote:
Yes, I think some of the videos I've watched have mentioned they have a small step stool, or platform they use. I'm not sure what the dimensions are in the stall yet either. There is usually a ledge that the toilet is installed on. Once I have it installed, I plan to measure and either build or buy an appropriate height step or platform for the bottom of the shower.
My first thought is the cassette toilet and the ease of removal from the outside. Can that be installed in the Escape?
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:09 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernese Bunch View Post
My first thought is the cassette toilet and the ease of removal from the outside. Can that be installed in the Escape?
That wouldn't work for boondocking as it would need emptying at least once or twice a week at a dump station. To me, it looks potentially messy. A compost can last weeks before you empty and it goes into common garbage. You would need to know the dimensions for the cartridge to see if it would fit under the shell for the bathroom. That space has the black water tank, so eliminating it would open up that space. But I don't know the dimensions that would be required. I doubt Escape would install that for you.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:43 AM   #24

Quote:
That wouldn't work for boondocking as it would need emptying at least once or twice a week at a dump station. To me, it looks potentially messy. A compost can last weeks before you empty and it goes into common garbage. You would need to know the dimensions for the cartridge to see if it would fit under the shell for the bathroom. That space has the black water tank, so eliminating it would open up that space. But I don't know the dimensions that would be required. I doubt Escape would install that for you.
I've used cassette while camping in Europe. Easy and clean. Never had any problems. They have the access door in the side of the trailer so it does not interfere with anything under the trailer. If you can love a toilet, this is the one!
Old 04-13-2019, 11:06 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes to cassettes, we had one in our T@da, easy to unload and easy to use in the winter with economical windshield antifreeze. Ours had it's own water supply tank, isolated from the rest of the trailer.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:12 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes to cassettes, we had one in our T@da, easy to unload and easy to use in the winter with economical windshield antifreeze. Ours had it's own water supply tank, isolated from the rest of the trailer.
Agree...best thing. I'll see how much of the work ETI can do to accommodate this. However, who would do the installation? It will mean breaking through the fiberglass shell to install the door. Naturally, I'd prefer ETI to cut the hole. Don't want some knucklehead breaking something!
Old 04-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't get it. The black tank in a 17B holds 19 gals. A cassette holds five gallons?

When boondocking, where are you going to empty the cassette, every few days? Five gallons of effluent weighs more than 40 lbs.

The black tank in my 17B is already on wheels and needs emptying after about a week. My wife stays at camp with a camp chair and a good book while I take the trailer ( and black tank ) into town. Empty black and grey, fill fresh water and buy beer. Nothing easier.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:38 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Diane, I doubt Escape will do any changes now, particularly with the bathroom set up. It works for them and 99% of their customers.
Glenn, you are absolutely correct, toting a 40 lb item 15 years ago is/was easier than it is now. I'll stick with the conventional set up.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:04 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I don't get it. The black tank in a 17B holds 19 gals. A cassette holds five gallons?

When boondocking, where are you going to empty the cassette, every few days?
If there are no services at the site at all, this is certainly an issue, although if towing with a pickup truck one can get and carry an extra cassette.

I think the idea is that if you are in a campground with a dump site, but don't have a sewer connection at your site, you can take the cassette to the dump site as often as required.

Quote:
Can? Yes. Easily? No.

Quote:
You would need to know the dimensions for the cartridge to see if it would fit under the shell for the bathroom. That space has the black water tank, so eliminating it would open up that space.
A cassette toilet is a one-piece thing, none of which would go under the bathroom interior shell.

Quote:
They have the access door in the side of the trailer so it does not interfere with anything under the trailer. If you can love a toilet, this is the one!
Right: "all" it needs is to be installed with the access side against an outside wall, and to have hatch cut in that wall... plus a water supply.

Quote:
I'll see how much of the work ETI can do to accommodate this. However, who would do the installation? It will mean breaking through the fiberglass shell to install the door.
With the vertical wall of the current generation of Escape bodies, the outside hatch isn't the issue. The problem would be that the toilet would either sit very high (on top of the black tank), or the black tank would be omitted (since it would have no purpose) and the moulded interior of the bathroom would need to be substantially modified to take out the step up over the black tank.

Quote:
I doubt Escape would install that for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Diane, I doubt Escape will do any changes now, particularly with the bathroom set up.
Because of the required modification of the bathroom interior, it would unlikely that Escape would have ever done this modification, and it seems extremely unlikely now. I think someone asked Escape about this a while ago, and confirmed that they would not do it, but I may be mistaken.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:05 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
ledge height

Quote:
There is usually a ledge that the toilet is installed on.
The black tank sits on top of the trailer's floor. The bathroom/shower interior is moulded fit around and over it. The stock toilet mounts to the top of the tank, so the connection is through a hole in the bathroom/shower interior lining. So the ledge height is the height of the black tank.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:12 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017 19' 5/02/17
Not sure if youre still able to do it but the 4" raised floor with the dinette and correspondingly 4" raised dinette seats gibes a much better vie out windows. Loved that we got that
bsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:34 PM   #32

I thought about that, but since I'm 6foot tall, didn't think it was necessary to see out the windows. At least that was the advice I got direct from Escape.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:15 PM   #33
Omi

Trailer: 2019 Escape 17B
Welcome Brian,

I'm glad to hear that you're going to install a composting toilet. I have been interested in the concept for years. Hubby doesn't share my enthusiasm . . . but one day he might see the light. As time goes along I hope you post the details of the install and how it works for you.
Omi
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:12 AM   #34

Trailer: 2017 19' 5/02/17
Im 6ft wife is 5'7". if you still have a chance to do it i would think about it. The drop off causes some issues but only for awhile. I also chose not to get the table installed and then put in Lagun so I didnt have interference with table posts.
bsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:11 PM   #35

Hello everyone. Here are pics of my finished 19-foot that I pick up June 13th at 8:30 am. I'm heading out of Wisconsin on Monday and stopping in Minot, ND, Calgary, driving through Banff...yea, and onto Chilliwack. From there, I'll be heading down to Bellingham, WA and then to Olympic National Park, Mt. Rainier and Mt. Hood and Bend Oregon before heading home in early July. Can't wait to see my new trailer and more so Olympic National Park.

https://www.facebook.com/brian.hegge...action_generic
Old 06-05-2019, 09:12 PM   #36

See you on June 13th. I'll be there at 8:30!
Old 06-05-2019, 09:43 PM   #37

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
See you on June 13th. I'll be there at 8:30!
Yes, might see you the 13th, we are scheduled Friday the 14th at 11:30!!