New Member - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB

I have enjoyed reading the very helpful information on this site and look forward to being a future Escape owner. My wife and I are planning to purchase a new 19 ft for delivery later this year or early next year. We are in the process of selling our boat to free up some room to store the trailer and help with the cost.

We live on Vancouver Island and look forward to using the trailer on the island and in the interior and northern BC areas. Some kind local owners showed us their 19 ft and we know we do not need to look any further, just the right size, weight, options, and quality we are looking for. This will be luxury for us as our past camping has been in a tent with a small single burner stove.

Options we are currently planning on are: oven, larger fridge, solar panel, extra opening window over sink, and wall and floor insulation with thermal windows. Options we are debating are: front storage box, outside shower, heat pads for tanks, 2x6v versus 1x12v battery, AC.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
We've used the outside shower quite a bit. It's great for washing hair when boondocking. I toss one of my 'all-weather' floor mats from the RAV on the ground to keep dirt from splashing up.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
We've used the outside shower quite a bit. It's great for washing hair when boondocking. I toss one of my 'all-weather' floor mats from the RAV on the ground to keep dirt from splashing up.
gbaglo..Great tip! Thanks!
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #4

Thank you again for sharing information on this site. We have placed our order for a 19ft with delivery Aug 9th. The options we have chosen are: AC, 2x6 v batteries, solar, larger frig, oven, slight modification to wardrobe to include 1 drawer, front box, insulation including under floor and heat pads, external power cord, LED inside/outside lights, exterior shower, captain LED reading lights, and anderson hitch and brake controller.

I guess we went with more options than we originally planned and end up thinking these will come in handy for us for the locations and type of camping we plan on (4 season and a bit of boon docking).
Old 05-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17B - Escape Pod
I don't think that you will regret getting any of these options. The decision to go solar is the big one - bravo! We had our front box added, and it has made a big difference. We rarely use our AC, but were extremely glad we had it the one time we needed it in California.
ddevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
You will be glad you chose the front box. I've had my 15A for two weeks now and am heading out tomorrow for an inaugural run. I waffled on the front box but my son encouraged me to get it. I'm awfully glad I did. I used to store the stuff I have in there (big umbrella, chairs, plastic fireside table, lantern, etc.) in my truck bed and I'd have to load up every time I went camping. In, out. In, out. Nuts. Front box: money well spent.

Oh, one more thing. You might consider getting a non-opening sink window. The view is much, much better without the screen and opening doo-dads and you'll have plenty of other opening windows to get air movement.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:03 AM   #7

Thanks, I missed listing a couple of options with one being a sink window and we decided we wanted it to open. Now reviewing people's comments on tow mirrors and I see good reviews on the Aero mirrors - will be towing with a 2012 Highlander and think while may not need tow mirrors I would probably wish I had them particularly when in heavy traffic.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:14 AM   #8

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Congratulations on the new 19' purchase! You are going to love the large fridge and solar + of course all the other great stuff!!!

Steve
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #9

Trailer: No more Escape 21
gharper, I tow my 19 Escape with a 2008 Highlander and found that the Highlander mirrors work just fine.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I was stopped in BC when towing my 19, and was told to put my extended mirrors on. You need to have an unobstructed view of the entire lanes on either side of you for about 200'. This is right to the lines of the lanes. Basically, you need to be able to see down the side of your trailer with no problem while driving.

The towing mirrors are a bit of a pain, but they really do help. With my F250, the mirrors just slide out, which is nice. I rarely use it though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #11

Trailer: 2001 Bigfoot 21RB/ 73Boler/Trillium 5500
I towed a Escape 19 with a full size Tundra mirrors had full view of both sides of the trailer.
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #12

FYI, I noticed Costco Canada has Grand Aero mirrors for $114 on their website under auto/RV.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #13

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Its funny how certain things get to people differently. Mirror extensions are one of those things for me. Maybee its because I never had a really good set. I have sliding trailer mirrors off of a 2007 gmc truck on my yukon so all I have to do is pull them out. There were some programming issues to make the mirrors work. Had to reprogram both door modules and bcm and I lost the memory mirror positon function.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote