New Member to the forum wanting to buy a 21' Escape - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2016, 02:55 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
I got a set of Nokian all-weather tires for our Camry this past winter and never got a chance to try them on snow. The up side to this is I was able to golf more through the winter. I'm wondering how many mild winters in a row can there be in the Lower Mainland?

However, all most mountain passes to the States and other provinces aren't snow free and warrant caution at times.

Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:39 AM   #12

Trailer: selling 2015 Casita Freedom, buying Escape 21'
My husband and I will be coming from Texas. He used to drive in the snow and slush in Michigan, but has no desire to do so with a new trailer. So maybe we should wait for our pick up in the summer.

:

The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:43 AM   #13

Mountain passes, oh my! I guess I really don't know the terrain in the north.. I grew up in Florida where everything is flat. Hope there is a not so mountainous route from BC to Texas. Now I am getting a bit scared.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:11 PM   #14

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
Returning to Florida two years ago after picking up our Escape 21'. Pictures taken in Yellowstone on June 18.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg j2 Yellowstone - June 18 (5).jpg (308.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg j2 Yellowstone - June 18 (8).jpg (286.8 KB, 21 views)
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:34 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Mountain passes, oh my! I guess I really don't know the terrain in the north.. I grew up in Florida where everything is flat. Hope there is a not so mountainous route from BC to Texas. Now I am getting a bit scared.
Nothing to be scared about at all. There are lots of routes with big highways. However, seeing you are a few mountain ranges over from the eastern side, there is not way of avoiding passing through them. Besides, you could make it a journey of a lifetime, and see lots of beautiful country.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:39 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I think some caution and planning are called for, but there's no need for fear. As others have mentioned, for many areas and most of the year only the highest-elevation parts of mountain highways, through passes, are a weather concern. Assuming you head south from Chilliwack, even in mid-winter the roads down in the valleys are not in snow; it would be different if you headed east through British Columbia and Alberta, so you would only want to do that from late spring to early fall.

One good thing about this snow-in-the-passes effect is that it means that you can just check the weather each day, and if necessary take a break for a day (down in the mild valley) to wait for a bad day up in the pass to be over.

We drove Interstate 15 from Las Vegas to Los Angeles at Christmas many years ago (rental car, no trailer) and most of the trip was desert driving in the sun... but the one mountain pass (perhaps Cajon Pass - I don't recall exactly) had snow. We just drove through, but many clueless people stopped at the side of the road to wait it out. It was funny seeing these cars sitting in the snow for who knows how long, when it only took a few minutes for us to descend back into the warmth. If they were that unable to drive in a bit of snow, all they had to do was check the weather before they left and pick another day.

One November we drove an RV from Alberta to the Vancouver area. The most direct route includes the Coquihalla Highway, which gets mentioned in this forum occasionally. It is a newer high-elevation road that bypasses the slower route of the older Trans-Canada highway down in the Fraser valley. The forecast was for rain, so we took the Trans-Canada, and sure enough while we stopped overnight in rain near Boston Bar, it snowed up on the Coquihalla only 30 kilometres (20 miles) away - we never saw a snowflake. Pick your route sensibly, pause when appropriate, and there's no problem.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:40 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
The OP is from Texas so could simply drive down I-5 all the way and then cut over on I-10 to get back home without going over much of anything. If there happened to be snow in the Siskiyous in the winter, one could even cut over to the coast to bypass them. No problem.
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:55 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
New Member to the forum wanting to buy a 21' Escape

Nancy, the default route that's generated from Abilene to Chilliwack in Google Maps (New Mexico/southwest corner of Colorado/Utah/Idaho/Oregon/Washington) will work out fine for you any time from about mid March through the fall. If your pickup is in late November through February however, you will encounter the frozen stuff at least somewhere. There's a continental divide that you have to cross somewhere.

I'd just plan on a pickup from around late March or later. There are other advantages too - like campgrounds being open for the most part on your way back to Texas.

We picked up in late March, and although we saw a few flurries on our way home in the higher areas, it was a non issue. You'll have a ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2016, 05:59 PM   #19

I put our order in this morning!
Old 04-25-2016, 06:35 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
I put our order in this morning!

Congrats! What's your delivery date?